CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Mark

There's always luck involved. Look at the past events, there's always someone who "would have won" if only X event was different. This is really the same thing IMO.
Disagree. There's "luck of the draw" and luck as in "who guesses best."

Any moron who lets a fitness contest be determined by who guesses best is just that, a moron. You may as well just gather the contestants into the center of the floor and have them pick a number between one and a hundred. Whoever is closest wins.

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Disagree. There's "luck of the draw" and luck as in "who guesses best."

Any moron who lets a fitness contest be determined by who guesses best is just that, a moron. You may as well just gather the contestants into the center of the floor and have them pick a number between one and a hundred. Whoever is closest wins.

- Mark
This wouldn't be who guesses best. This would be who put out the hardest.
Where's the guessing in start running we'll tell you when you're done and whoever is first wins.

And the next question is fit for what? The unknown and unknowable.
__________________
Experience is a hard teacher because they gives the test first, and the lessons afterwards. - Vernon Sanders Law
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #23
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
This wouldn't be who guesses best. This would be who put out the hardest.
Where's the guessing in start running we'll tell you when you're done and whoever is first wins.
Because you guess what level of effort is appropriate to outlast the competition.

The level of effort needed to win a 10k at any given instant in time is far less than the effort needed to win a 400m sprint. If you really put in an all-out continuous effort, there is absolutely no way you could beat someone who guessed that the final distance would be 10k. Impossible! Otherwise that's what elite distance runners would be doing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #24
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?



"He chose poorly"
__________________
Experience is a hard teacher because they gives the test first, and the lessons afterwards. - Vernon Sanders Law

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr : 09-15-2010 at 11:38 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Because you guess what level of effort is appropriate to outlast the competition.

The level of effort needed to win a 10k at any given instant in time is far less than the effort needed to win a 400m sprint. If you really put in an all-out continuous effort, there is absolutely no way you could beat someone who guessed that the final distance would be 10k. Impossible! Otherwise that's what elite distance runners would be doing.

So if they both guessed wrong nobody would win? Nope, the one who dug in the best or had the best conditioning/recovery would win.
__________________
Experience is a hard teacher because they gives the test first, and the lessons afterwards. - Vernon Sanders Law
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #26
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Where's the guessing in start running we'll tell you when you're done and whoever is first wins.
And you think this is sensible? Really? No parameters?

So, you'd be okay as a programmer with lining up two guys, telling them to "just run," and not letting them know if they have to run for 1/8 mile or 50 miles? You seriously don't think that that's unfair to both athletes in that they've both been forced to guess as to what your intent is for them?

The only "winner" in that situation is the programmer, by virtue of the fact that he tricked the race loser into either (a) running so fast that he burned himself out on the 50 mile run, or (b) pacing himself so much that he got smoked on the 1/8 mile run. In having thus tricked the loser, the programmer also loses.

You'd be okay with lining up Holmberg and Froning, deadlocked at the final event, with $25K on the line, and telling them that this ridiculous event will ultimately determine which of them is the World's Fittest Man?

You've said some bright things on this forum, but if you say "yes" to that, I have no idea what to tell you aside from "Wow. Just frickin' wow."

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #27
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
And you think this is sensible? Really? No parameters?

So, you'd be okay as a programmer with lining up two guys, telling them to "just run," and not letting them know if they have to run for 1/8 mile or 50 miles? You seriously don't think that that's unfair to both athletes in that they've both been forced to guess as to what your intent is for them?

The only "winner" in that situation is the programmer, by virtue of the fact that he tricked the race loser into either (a) running so fast that he burned himself out on the 50 mile run, or (b) pacing himself so much that he got smoked on the 1/8 mile run. In having thus tricked the loser, the programmer also loses.

You'd be okay with lining up Holmberg and Froning, deadlocked at the final event, with $25K on the line, and telling them that this ridiculous event will ultimately determine which of them is the World's Fittest Man?

You've said some bright things on this forum, but if you say "yes" to that, I have no idea what to tell you aside from "Wow. Just frickin' wow."

- Mark
Equally unfair=fair

Pays to be a winner

CF=prep for the unknown &unknowable, you want to be the best Crossfitter, well here you go.

Thanks for the compliment, sorry to disappoint you.
__________________
Experience is a hard teacher because they gives the test first, and the lessons afterwards. - Vernon Sanders Law
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #28
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
So if they both guessed wrong nobody would win? Nope, the one who dug in the best or had the best conditioning/recovery would win.
No, the one who ran at the pace closest to the actual distance of the race would win.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #29
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
No, the one who ran at the pace closest to the actual distance of the race would win.
Possibly. It's also possible that since this is a race they would go until they couldn't go anymore (or the race ended) After all there's 25K on the line.

I think they're competitors and they'll put out as hard as they can as long as they can and the one who wins will have been "fitter" at least for this challenge.

Shane, I'm surprised you can't see my point of view at all.
__________________
Experience is a hard teacher because they gives the test first, and the lessons afterwards. - Vernon Sanders Law
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #30
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Possibly. It's also possible that since this is a race they would go until they couldn't go anymore (or the race ended) After all there's 25K on the line.

I think they're competitors and they'll put out as hard as they can as long as they can and the one who wins will have been "fitter" at least for this challenge.

Shane, I'm surprised you can't see my point of view at all.
It's an interesting test and I see its practical application. Sort of like the old joke...

Two hikers on a trail came around the bend to find an enormous brown bear about 75 yards up the trail. The bear spies them and begins running toward them at a full gallop. One hiker drops his backpack, sits down, throws off his boots, and starts lacing up a pair of running shoes. The other hiker says: "What are you doing? You will never outrun that bear!". The first hiker replies: "I don't have to outrun the bear..."


But to decide an event that declares winners to be fittest men/women on earth, I think the event should be as least controversial as possible. The claim itself is controversial enough, I don't understand why the tests should be as well.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blood parameters Bo Schmidt Nutrition 5 02-07-2009 04:08 PM
unknown chest injury Clay Warford Injuries 9 11-23-2008 11:54 PM
DA Workouts Darren Atkison Workout Logs 80 10-13-2008 12:03 AM
1 of 10 fitness parameters missing?? Alex Reynolds Fitness 19 04-25-2008 11:35 PM
CF workouts + traditional mass gain gym workouts Jason S Roth Fitness 6 06-15-2007 02:12 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.