CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #41
Dustin Kreidler

Profile:
Re: Shake for breakfast but what to put into it?

Well, I did a banana "eggnog" smoothie today, which was totally NOT zone-friendly... with 2 raw eggs in it. I've since made the mistake of actually reading up on what salmonella can do. Bottom line: it's not pretty. Usually, its just a case of the trots, with dehydration being the main concern. However, in a small percentage of the total cases (between 40K and 120K a year...light cases probably aren't even reported), there is a chance of permanent joint damage and arthritis (http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/general/index.html) (Not the biggest fan of Big Gov, but the CDC has always seemed to be on the up-and-up.)

So, basically, now I'm thinking I might be too freaked out to try it again. I have a pretty damn good immune system (hooray for eating dirt as a kid), and manage to miss most of the colds my toddler and wife (who teaches other toddlers) seem to pass back and forth constantly. But I'm just superstitious enough to think that might just mean I when I do get walloped, and by something I could have avoided, I might find myself in a small (but significant) statistical group! Stupid internet with its rotten knowledge.

Plus, the smoothie wasn't that good. Between the bananas and the eggs, it really needed a lot more sugar! I haven't even figured out the blocks for the recipe: 2 bananas (large, frozen), 2 eggs (raw), 1 cup milk, 1 tsp. brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.
Bananas = 6 C blocks (uh oh...)
Eggs = 2 P
milk = 1C/1P
sugar = ~1 (not on the zone pdf I just loaded...)
Totals: 7C/2P/0F
Ooops.
Fixes = just one banana, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, add in pecans/almonds for fat blocks. Add in protein powder for P to offset the banana. (Only have chocolate right now... another attempt will be either awesome or terrifying.)

OK, having come up with a prescription, I'm gonna go for it. More raw eggs! (any budding chefs know if poaching eggs leaves them "smoothy-able"?)

Last edited by Dustin Kreidler : 12-02-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: unclear language about number of cases of salmonella poisoning
Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #42
Dustin Kreidler

Profile:

OK yeah, that rules. It's too thin to support whipping in the almonds I tried to use... and between the size of the blender and the size of my travel mug, I don't have room to add ice to it to thicken it up. So, yummy banana-nog smoothie with a bed of kind of crushed nuts at the bottom of it. WITH death eggs in it!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #43
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Haha. OK, just gotta say, if you start Googling everything in the world that could happen to you from every single food you want to eat, you'll be in a fetal position in your room with some protein powder. Except, protein powder could have arsenic in it. Or heavy metals!

You know what I mean? I think, if you're a generally healthy person, your immune system can handle *most* of what is thrown at it. No, that doesn't mean you should faceplant in some warm raw meat that you pulled out of the trash, but there is *always* the possibility that something can hurt you. If not the raw eggs in your smoothie, then maybe you missed something in your spinach when you washed it. Or there might be a little mold in your preserves that you don't notice! Or you successfully make it out the door without puking, and you get hit by a truck.

Life is dangerous sometimes, and you do the best you can to get as far as you can. Be smart, but don't be paranoid.

And that smoothie sounds awesome.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #44
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

Not really sure if your immune system, even if your healthy, can hold up against salmonella. I guess to each his own, but not sure if I would chance it with raw eggs. You could always just scramble them up and have the shake with it. That's what I do often.

My morning shake is

1 c milk
1 Tb almond butter
1 scoop strawberry whey
1/2 c oatmeal
Strawberries
Mangoes
Pineapple
Old 12-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #45
Jeffrey Isenhour

Profile:

Wow, I am really surprised that you got any useful responses to this question...most of the time you will get 50 responses telling you how you should eat real food as if using a shake because you are busy is the equivalent of burning babies with cigars. I would like to thank everyone who just answered this guys question.

We all know real food is better but not everyone has the ability to lay around and cook food all day or even the ability to eat raw food because of the demands of our day to day life.