CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Darla Powell

Profile:
Re: Constantly tired and lathargic.... Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darragh Farrell View Post
Darla.

I will look into that tomorrow after work. Thanks a lot, hopefully it's that easy for me to!
I went crazy looking. I went to the doctor and had blood tests. I was convinced I was dying ! I discovered magnesium for my energy kinda by accident. I noticed I felt markedly better the day after an epsom soak. Then I read that athletes ( ahem ) lose a ton of magnesium in their workouts - especially if they sweat a lot ( and I do). The rest is history.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Brent Eno

Profile:

It looks like you need A LOT more fat. Avocados, nuts(almonds, walnuts...), seeds, animal fat, coconut or almond milk(or cow's milk if you eat dairy. Cheese as well), coconut and olive oil...

Darla, you may want to try coconut water. It has all the electrolytes we need, as well as a ton of other beneficial properties. I drink it first thing in the morning, and before and after my workouts.

http://gopractice.typepad.com/practi...-benefits.html WFS
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post
It looks like you need A LOT more fat. Avocados, nuts(almonds, walnuts...), seeds, animal fat, coconut or almond milk(or cow's milk if you eat dairy. Cheese as well), coconut and olive oil...

Darla, you may want to try coconut water. It has all the electrolytes we need, as well as a ton of other beneficial properties. I drink it first thing in the morning, and before and after my workouts.

http://gopractice.typepad.com/practi...-benefits.html WFS
I drink coconut milk instead of cow milk now. Not sure if it has the same...
Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
I discovered magnesium for my energy kinda by accident....I read that athletes ( ahem ) lose a ton of magnesium in their workouts - especially if they sweat a lot ( and I do).
I agree completely. Darragh, tomorrow head to the vitamins and mineral section of your local supermarket and pick up a bottle of magnesium tablets and potassium tablets. Take one of each immediately before you hit the sack at the end of the day...and tell us how you feel the next morning!

For a mid-day boost, take a Vitamin B-12, Vitamin D, and multi-vitamin right after lunch. Heck, if you look at the ingredients label of the standard-issue energy drink, you'll see a bunch of different vitamins in megadoses.

CAUTION: Excess vitamins leave the body in urine, but excess minerals get stored in organs, which is why competitive bodybuilders tend to have internal problems after many years of mega-hyperdosing on minerals. Just something to think about...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
James Napier

Profile:

I'm also constantly tired and don't recover from wods well at all. Blood tests showed hyperthyroidism and moreso with additional indepth thyroid pannel. started supplements today to help add nutrients for thyroid and liver detox for two months; then will retest. Additionally test reslults showed extremely low test. and excessively high cholesterol probably result of thyroid issues. However, I do enjoy my naps!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #16
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

IMO, if you need to take a fistful of supplements in order to feel decent, something is wrong. Though the suggestions given here may make you feel better, they won't address the underlying cause, they'll just postpone the day of reckoning.

Katherine
Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #17
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

I'm looking at my package of almonds (plain, unsalted, unsugared, etc., etc.) and they have 20% US RDA Mg (magnesium) per 1 oz serving.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #18
James Napier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
IMO, if you need to take a fistful of supplements in order to feel decent, something is wrong. Though the suggestions given here may make you feel better, they won't address the underlying cause, they'll just postpone the day of reckoning.

Katherine
Anything to postpone the day of reckoning, including crossfit for a longer improved quality of life. I'd like to think most here do it for the same reason, not for a shorter life.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #19
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Napier View Post
I'd like to think most here do it for the same reason, not for a shorter life.
Most here probably get the nutrients they need from the foods they eat.

I see no issue with taking a few pills here & there (I take Ca/Mg/Zn and VitD myself), but I think it's gone way too far when your body is powered by GNC and not by Farmer John.

- Mark
Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #20
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Most here probably get the nutrients they need from the foods they eat.

I see no issue with taking a few pills here & there (I take Ca/Mg/Zn and VitD myself), but I think it's gone way too far when your body is powered by GNC and not by Farmer John.

- Mark
Wise words.

You can use Fitday to find out your micronutrient breakdown. Plug in what you eat today, and click on nutrition. It will give you the percentage of each vitamin, mineral...in relation to the recommended daily value. If you find out you are not getting enough, lets say, vitamin B12, google "foods high in vitamin B12" and start incorporating some of those foods into your diet.