CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
John Swanson

Profile:
When to stop Dead Lifting

I'm 5'11'' 172lbs

Today I Dead Lifted 400 x 5 for a new pr. My question is at what point should I back off trying to get my dead lift heavier. I play professional hockey so I want to make sure I keep my speed up and I'm scarred that if it keeps going up I may lose my speed on the ice.

other important stats via speed exercise.

Hang Clean 240 1rm

Box Squat 345 x 5

Jerk 185 1 rm
Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: When to stop Dead Lifting

If maximum strength isn't a goal, then there's no need to bias your program to achieve it. You shouldn't ever *stop* deadlifting, you just shouldn't get upset when your gains stall.

Katherine
Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If speed is your concern, deadlift it faster. Not as in 5 reps in less time, but faster from floor to lockout.

"I'm scarred that if it keeps going up I may lose my speed on the ice"

THis confuses me, how would a big deadlift make you slow.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Ill stop deadlifting when I am dead.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Matthew J. Coe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If maximum strength isn't a goal, then there's no need to bias your program to achieve it. You shouldn't ever *stop* deadlifting, you just shouldn't get upset when your gains stall.

Katherine
I agree. Mike Boyle who's a well known hockey strength and conditioning coach states this point that if you are strong enough in this aspect of your training something else will be suffering. Find that weakness and work on that. Don't stop deadlifting just drop its level of importance in the grand scale of your hockey conditioning.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew J. Coe View Post
I agree. Mike Boyle who's a well known hockey strength and conditioning coach states this point that if you are strong enough in this aspect of your training something else will be suffering. Find that weakness and work on that. Don't stop deadlifting just drop its level of importance in the grand scale of your hockey conditioning.
You are not going to find a whole lot of Mike Boyle fans here but I don't disagree with that.

But with that said, I just don't understand how being stronger and being more efficient at a movement is going to make you slower. Here is an article regarding speed training:http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/269/ WFS!

I don't necessarily agree with everything in the article but regardless of the details there is no question speed is a product of mass-specific force. Meaning the more force you can apply with the least amount of mass the faster you will go. Granted, there are a bunch of other variables but it basically boils down to that. So a big deadlift is going to improve the amount of force you can apply. how is that a bad thing?

Even if your goal is to be the best hockey player you shouldn't artificially limit your deadlift. So basically the answer to your question is that you should deadlift as much as you possibly can without sacrificing the skills necessary to maintain and improve your current hockey ability.

If deadlifting is taking such a toll that you can not properly practice hockey skills or you are adding mass that isn't helping improve your ability you should consider changing your diet and/or programming. Until then, get bigger, stronger, faster.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
David McGlame

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha View Post
Ill stop deadlifting when I am dead.
This..........
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Mike Mallory

Profile:

you definitely need some solid strength to toss people around the board, but agility, rotation, and the lateral subsytem are HUGE components to hockey.

Most of your training needs to be explosive, with heavy rotational components, with kind of a 'subset' of strength.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Ben Johnson weighed 80kg, he could squat 300kg for 6reps x 4sets, bench press 220kg and deadlift 400kg. All drugs talk aside he was the fastest person on earth in his prime. Just an example that you should not worry about getting slow as you are improving your max strength.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
Ben Johnson weighed 80kg, he could squat 300kg for 6reps x 4sets, bench press 220kg and deadlift 400kg. All drugs talk aside he was the fastest person on earth in his prime. Just an example that you should not worry about getting slow as you are improving your max strength.
Sorry Alex, gotta throw the BS flag on your numbers. Powerlifting records here (WFS) shows the US record for raw deadlift at the 82.5 kg weight class at 302.5 kg (665.5 lbs). Donīt know if those are totally up to date, but it shows that there is no way Ben Johnson was deadlift 400 kg (880 lbs), even though I donīt doubt he was pretty strong.

As for the OP, I agree with the above, for what itīs worth. Maybe make deadlift less prominent in training and focus on more explosive lifts, but donīt cut it out, of course.