CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Melane Byrd

Profile:
Looking for some advice: Pure willpower at this point??

Started the zone about 8 months ago, but after discovering this message board I have transitioned to paleo. I'm 67.5 inches tall, 138lbs, 30 year old female. I do the Mark Sisson version of paleo, ie. I add whole milk to my coffee and do greek yogurt & some cheese on rare occasion. I also will throw back a glass of wine or two on occasion. Life is short, some things are meant to be enjoyed.

I do not eat any grains/legumes. Only take fish oil once a week or so b/c my omega 3/6 ratio is actually a little too good. (too many omega 3) Take a multi vitamin.

I cross fit 4-5 times a week, do 3-4 hours of hiking a week, and usually 40 min of cardio (mountain biking/jogging) once a week. I also have a job that can be fairly active for a few hours a day& is outside in the heat.

I want to tone up more and get to 135 lbs. I have come a long way..lost almost 20 pounds since last year. My energy levels are off the chart.

But I've hit a plateau for the past 2 months: no weight loss/improvements. Some days I may actually gain a few pounds (measurements the same as well) The rec's I've seen for diet are to shoot for 1600-1800 calories, stay under 80 grams of carb, and shoot for about 100 grams of protein (lean body mass x .9-1.0) for moderate weight loss.

But I've had a very hard time actually seeing this through:
-80 grams of carb isn't much once you actually total it up on fitday, i'm feeling pretty deprived when I am debating whether or not to have a cup vice a 1/2 cup of broccoli at dinner. (and we are not subtracting fiber content, right)

-I am waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes hungry, sometimes just wide awake & not hungry. I strive for 8 hours a night. My schedule doesn't allow me always go to bed and wake up at the same time (sometimes I work a night page) But most of the time I am waking up hungry even when I eat 2100 calories in my day. Back when I ate a lot of bad carbs I had better quality sleep.

-We talk about eating to satiety. I find this hard to do b/c it's vague to me. I'm always still a little hungry after a standard meal. Any suggestions?

-Lots of foot/leg cramps.

Do you think there comes a point where you have to be uncomfortable/hungry to reach your goals? Is it all willpower at some point?

Thanks for the help/suggestions guys!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Looking for some advice: Pure willpower at this point??

How is your performance?

You may need to eat more, post your diet.

"I cross fit 4-5 times a week, do 3-4 hours of hiking a week, and usually 40 min of cardio (mountain biking/jogging) once a week. I also have a job that can be fairly active for a few hours a day& is outside in the heat."

1600 calories with this schedule? I would pass out.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Melane Byrd

Profile:

Sample day:
Bkfst: Coffee with cream, almond pancakes w/ blueberries, organic chicken chorizo w/ squash, 1 hard boiled egg.

Lunch: Salad w/ ground bison, tomatoes, avocado, caesar dressing

snack: coconut butter, unsweetened almond milk, cashews.

dinner: turkey & bacon & 2 pieces 72% chocolate

Fitday totals: 1750 calories, 120 fat, 70 carb, 113 protein

That would be close to a "good day" for me. I'm like this 50% of the time. The other half of the time I eat higher; 1900-2600 calories. I find that I've had to get rid of nuts b/c they are too easy to overdo. And almond butter might as well be crack. Once a week I do whatever I want (still no grains/legumes, but eat way more than normal)
Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Don't watch the scale on a daily basis. Hydration, digestion of your last meal, and hormonal fluctuations can all make the number shift in either direction. Personally, I don't recommend watching the scale at all if you're within 3 pounds of your goal. Shift three pounds from fat to muscle and you'll look leaner without changing the number.

I agree with Jamie that you're probably too active to be eating that little. Personally, I would need more carbs as well. Waking up hungry is a bad sign.

Eating to satiety means eating to satiety. If you're still hungry after a meal, eat more. You *definitely* shouldn't care about the difference between 1/2 cup and 1 cup of broccoli. At 27 calories per half-cup, it's effectively impossible to overeat on broccoli (and most other green veggies). Any diet that tells you differently, IMO, is misguided bordering on dangerous. (And yes, you subtract the fiber if counting carbs.)

Foot/leg cramps could be any number of things, but messed up electrolyte balance is one likely culprit, especially if you're avoiding fruits and veggies. Have some bananas. (Excellent source of potassium.)

Katherine
Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melane Byrd View Post
Sample day:
Bkfst: Coffee with cream, almond pancakes w/ blueberries, organic chicken chorizo w/ squash, 1 hard boiled egg.

Lunch: Salad w/ ground bison, tomatoes, avocado, caesar dressing

snack: coconut butter, unsweetened almond milk, cashews.

dinner: turkey & bacon & 2 pieces 72% chocolate

Fitday totals: 1750 calories, 120 fat, 70 carb, 113 protein

That would be close to a "good day" for me. I'm like this 50% of the time. The other half of the time I eat higher; 1900-2600 calories. I find that I've had to get rid of nuts b/c they are too easy to overdo. And almond butter might as well be crack. Once a week I do whatever I want (still no grains/legumes, but eat way more than normal)
Eat more veggies, and more in general. I'm at around 2000 calories per day, and I'm slightly smaller than you at about the same activity level.

Katherine
Old 08-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Melane Byrd

Profile:

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Melissa Mattson

Profile:

I agree, you should eat more calories. I'm 5'4", 130 lbs, and at about the same activity level as you and I eat over 2000 calories/day and more carbs (healthy ones). I aim for 100 grams of protein as well but often fall short.

I often fall asleep hungry and wake up hungry and wonder if I can eat more and not gain weight. I think the most important thing is keeping your metabolism revved up by eating a large breakfast with plenty of protein and I also drink 2-3 cups of green tea/day which I feel reduces hunger and has been shown to help burn fat. If you don't eat enough your body goes into conservation mode and actually tries not to burn fat.

Keep in mind that although you have lost a considerable amount of weight, the muscle mass you have gained will allow you to burn off more calories. I would suggest eating 200-400 more calories per day for a month or two and see what happens. I would suggest ignoring the scale and get a tape measure at this point. Measure your hips and waist to gauge your progress.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Neal Carlson

Profile:

I ignore counting carb grams whenever I eat "good" carbs like broccoli or salad. Just eat as much of that stuff as you want. It is literally impossible to gain weight from eating too much broccoli or salad. The author of the Healthy Harvest described that most people have to re-learn how to think of servings when eating a Paleo diet. Don’t have a salad in a small salad bowl, instead get out the big mixing bowl and fill it to the brim. Uh… or buy a nicer looking, but equally large bowl. Don’t measure a ½ cup of broccoli. Instead, pile it on your plate, and then go for seconds. However, you need to use caution when adding dressing, butter perhaps nuts or cheese into any of the above.

When eating “bad”, or at least “worse” carbs like fruit or starchy vegetables – then you should use moderation like you are doing.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Mattson View Post
I often fall asleep hungry and wake up hungry and wonder if I can eat more and not gain weight.
If you're often hungry, you need to eat more. Make smart choices, but eat more.

Katherine
Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If you're often hungry, you need to eat more. Make smart choices, but eat more.

Katherine
Yeah, this.

Photo for inspiration. That's what I'm eating for lunch right now. I took the pic before I even read your post, but it seemed fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steak_Brussels_Sprouts.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	6733