CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Camille Acton

Profile:
Masters Competition Scoring

I'm curious why the scoring of the masters competition isn't as follows:

The top nine women finished all of the workouts so they make up the top nine ... this is as it should be.

Following the top nine, however, why wouldn't you rank the DNF Helen according to the score you gave each of the women, starting with 10 (since the top nine are set), and then simply add the 3 rankings as you did with the top nine? For example, Mary Connolly would be ranked 10th on the DU Helen because she has the best DNF score. Mary Connolly's total would then be 44, adding her rankings of 13, 10 and 21.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
Joel R Warneke

Profile:
Re: Masters Competition Scoring

Or if not enough women completed all the workouts only take the ones that completed them all. Then there would not be an argument on who goes.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Camille Acton

Profile:

Also a good idea, Joel.

But since there are scores on the Helen DNF, why not use them as part of the ranking?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:

I can't speak to the scoring issue other than to say, once again, that this is a learning experience for HQ, the first competition done with the same events in different places with different judges. The video qualifier last year was judged by HQ trainers. We don't know if there were extenuating circumstances that made HQ score it in this manner.

Here's an example: in the DU Helen it was permissible to sub 3X single-unders for the DU. Unfortunately, whether or not you knew this as a competitor depended on your individual judge and the instructions (s)he gave you at at least one venue since the instructions were not given en masse. How many DNF's would have become scored WOD's had everyone known this?

Once again, this is a learning process. We can anticipate a tighter event next year...those HQ folks are pretty bright!

--bingo
Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Ron Wilhelm

Profile:

The rankings for the Helen workout were used in the rankings as you said, but the "work" wasn't shown. The standings page does now reflect the maths, and as you can see the standings are the same.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Jane Holgate

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
I can't speak to the scoring issue other than to say, once again, that this is a learning experience for HQ, the first competition done with the same events in different places with different judges. The video qualifier last year was judged by HQ trainers. We don't know if there were extenuating circumstances that made HQ score it in this manner.

Here's an example: in the DU Helen it was permissible to sub 3X single-unders for the DU. Unfortunately, whether or not you knew this as a competitor depended on your individual judge and the instructions (s)he gave you at at least one venue since the instructions were not given en masse. How many DNF's would have become scored WOD's had everyone known this?

Once again, this is a learning process. We can anticipate a tighter event next year...those HQ folks are pretty bright!

--bingo
I competed in the European Masters - I had to sub the pull ups because of a shoulder injury, so wouldn't have qualified anyway, however, this is the first time I have heard anything about being able to sub 3 x single-unders for double unders - surely that wouldn't count in terms of qualifying for the final?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
in the DU Helen it was permissible to sub 3X single-unders for the DU.
That's the first I've heard of it too. I'm was judging at the NW Regionals and I've done that workout in under the time limit. At the comp it was difficult enough to count double-unders; I can't imagine trying to count that many singles. Plus, even though my double-unders are good I'd much rather do 150 singles than 50 doubles.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Personal communication from a competitor who is also intimately involved in judging.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I've seen some instances of judges who took accepted practice at their gyms and just assumed those rules applied to comps when in fact it didn't. Many gyms will allow a 3-to-1 sub like that in training. However, I was under the clear impression that there were no acceptable subs for double-unders at that competition. No double-unders = DNF.

It's communication errors like these that is the inherent problem with sporting events that are essentially one-offs. By the time everyone gets the minutia of the rules straight the competition is long over.

A 3-to-1 sub is overly generous to folks who have marginal double-unders or no double-unders at all. They move from needing months of skill practice to being competitive in no time flat. 5-to-1 or higher would be more like it. There should be a severe penalty for not having the requested skill. As I said, I've got fairly good double-unders. I can rip off 150 singles straight no problem, but I usually have to break up the 50 doubles into 2 or 3 sets. Singles also have a quicker cycle time, nearly twice the rate of doubles, and require a lot less jumping power. My "fairly good" ability at doubles would lose to someone who had no doubles at all. So what's the motivation to learn the technical skills if everything is going to be dumbed down at the comps? Is this kindergarten where every kid gets a Student Of The Month award?