CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #81
Chris J Mason

Profile:
Re: Dude Squatting 765 @ Globo Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
How many have actually seen a youngster stick with basic linear progression/smart training? I've seen quite a few legit 500+ squats from a few kids in my HS, college, and in colleges I've visited, kids who played football and kids who didn't, from "amateur" Olympic lifters and powerlifters, and just the regular gym rat who trained smart. The thing they had in common was they squatted and worked hard at getting strong.

Of that bunch, I have to say that 2 of them are genetically gifted: 1 is a very high caliber Junior age Olympic lifter and the other runs 10.14s for the 100m dash, everyone else, their athletic skills are pretty lacking.
I know some people just like to argue, but you are missing my point. I never said linear progression is bad or does not work, I merely said Westside is better and there is no reason not to start someone with it.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #82
Mike Clauss

Profile:
Re: Dude Squatting 765 @ Globo Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J Mason View Post
I would like to see a video of your 500 lbs squat. If it is to parallel and it did not take much time for you to achieve then you are far above average with respect to your ability to build strength for the movement. You can think what you want, but that is a fact. Take a statistically significant pool of individuals who have been squatting for over a year and see how many of them have a true 500 lbs raw squat and my point will be proven.

When you say Westside is advanced, what exactly does that mean to you? How is that a negative?
Honestly I don't think it takes a genetic freak to squat 500 lbs in relatively short order. I did my first meet with 16 weeks of training, before that I had never squatted or deadlifted in my life. I went 462, missed 407 at lockout and pulled 551. I was 247# at weigh in, all raw and following a less than traditional program training alone in my basement. Two weeks later I was training with a group of guys doing Westside and testing for my 1RM(s) I hit 525, 415, 575 with a little form coaching. I've been on the platform with genetic freaks, I'm not one of them and I'm far from built to squat.