CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
Jesse Gray

Profile:
Re: Protein powder recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
Obviously get the rest of your diet in order, and think of protein powder as nothing more than food. Factor in the protein/carbs from it to get the right macro breakdown.

Different protein powders are good for different times. Most protein powders are made up of some mix (or not) of (a) Whey, (b) Egg, and (c) Casein. Some might have Soy protein, which is kinda like eggs, but not as good.

Anyway, whey/egg/casein all digest at different rates. Whey is really fast and casein is really slow. Casein can become even slower if you drink it mixed in milk. I think fats slow digestion even more (i.e. mixing in olive oil). Egg is in the middle. Your body can only digest so much protein at one time, so if you have 100g of protein, it probably shouldn't be all whey.

Casein has been shown to blunt catabolism. Whey doesn't really do that.

So, you want a little different mix depending on the time of day...
Morning - You want to blunt catabolism (you just "fasted" 8 hours), but you also want to get your muscles a bunch of protein. So, you want mostly whey + a little casein. Some egg would be nice too so it continues digesting for a little while. Drink in water.
Pre-workout - Pretty much pure whey. Maybe some egg.
During workout - Whey
Post-workout - Same deal as morning. Your body is in a pretty catabolic state. Drink in water.
Before bed - Casein, maybe some egg and maybe just a little whey. Drink in milk.

As far as isolate vs concentrate, just save the money and go with concentrate. I can't remember the terminology for casein, but there's like caseinate vs some-kind-of-really-pure casein. Just go with the casienate (the cheap casein).

Oh, also, for some reason nobody here talks about Waxy Maize. I'm not sure why, but that ****'s awesome. It's basically super-fast digesting carbs (to oversimplify). It's perfect pre/post/during your workout. You should be taking in 2-4x as many carbs as protein post-workout. Waxy maize is the answer. It does lots of good things.

As far as which brands to choose...
So, there's (a) Concentrated/Isolated single-type proteins, (b) Protein blends, (c) Meal-replacements (protein + usually fast-digesting carbs), and (d) pure-carbs.

(a) Concentrated single-type proteins
1. Whey - I like Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey. Cheap, good enough quality. I like chocolate.
2. Casein - Same deal. Optimum Nutrition's 100% Casein (or something like that). I like vanilla.
3. Egg - Not sure, never bought any.
I'm not a fan of their forums or anything, but I strongly recommend Bodybuilding.com (WFS) for this. Usually they have the best prices, they fill your order immediately, the shipping is cheap and really fast, and their customer service is incredibly good (I just made a mistake and had something shipped to my old address, and the guy there wouldn't ever open the door, so they shipped me a new $180 shipment for free).

(b) Protein Blends
AtLargeNutrition's (WFS) Nitrean - Tasty. I think it's like 80% whey and the other 20% or so is made up of casein and egg protein. This is pretty ideal for every time of day except before bed, I think.
Matrix 5.0 - Another tasty brand.

(c) Meal Replacements
I don't ever buy these. These are basically for people that want a full protein + carb meal without added fat. Most of the time the carbs are bad carbs. Some of these mixes might be good post-workout, but I don't know of a lot of brands that have the right mix (the good ones use a mix of glucose & maltodextrin, which is good, but definitely not as good as waxy maize). If you're going to get one of these, get AtLargeNutrition's Opticen.
If you want to find a true meal replacement for just any time during the day, you'd want something with low GI carbs + protein.

(d) Waxy Maize
I don't know of any good, pure, flavored brands of waxy maize. Usually it tastes a little chalky if unflavored. But, it's cheap, so suck it up. Go to Bodybuilding.com and get CARBO LOAD.

So, in summary, I usually get:
Optimum 100% Whey, Optimum 100% Casein, Nitrean, and Carbo Load.

Again, consider these as supplements to whole foods. I eat 1.5-2g of protein per pound of bodyweight (regardless of whether I am bulking or cutting ... carbs change for me, not protein, and not really fats either). So you also want all that chicken/tuna/shrimp/salmon/lean-beef/eggs and all the other good protein. And you also want all those good veggies, etc.

The other supplements I take are Fish Oil, a Centrum multi-vitamin, Creatine (take either pre or post workout after your loading period), and ETS (Elite Training Support, from AtLarge, which decreases soreness and joint pain and might improve endurance a bit). I don't cycle creatine because there's no need. Fat burners are good, too, if you're cutting or maybe on maintenance and just trying to build muscle and lose fat at the same time (this is hard). I haven't gone on a cut in several years, but I think you want (a) Yohimbine, (b) stimulants, especially ephedrine and caffeine (but also other stuff), and (d) something called something similar to L-Teronine or something like that. Go read Lyle McDonald's stuff and he tells you how to do all this stuff. I can't think of any other supplements worth buying. The ones I recommended are generally cheaper than food that has a similar macro breakdown, so buying them saves money assuming you keep the same macro's. Obviously ETS and creatine don't replace food, but they'll make a noticeable difference and they're not *that* expensive. There's lots of other supplements that people buy that is way overpriced for what you're getting.

I did this all from memory so it's possible some of my terms were slightly off. Chris Mason is a lot better with supplement stuff than me, so he may have some critiques.
This made me think of a funny article that was on EliteFTS recently, read sign #5 that you're weak! (wfs)

Justin, FYI, this is all in good fun, I'm not trying to rag on you or be a cocky wannabe expert (I only do that to people I know in real life ), it just made me chuckle a bit. Cheers mate! Your info is a good summary of protein in all its powdery forms.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Hah, I've talked to Matt Rhodes a lot online. He's a good guy. And yeah for the most part being OCD about everything isn't going to help out a noticeable amount. But, Rhodes is one of those genetic freaks. He (said he) was 250 lbs/9% body fat before he started using steroids, and he "dirty bulked." That's his background and he kinda assumes everyone is the same way. When I followed his advice and went from 205 to 230 (on a bigger frame) I got fat and needed to cut a lot.

p.s. a lot of his bashing was on stuff like paying extra money for some super form of casein / creatine / isolate, etc. I recommended not doing this. I guess the short answer would be:

"Get Nitrean." Whey by itself will give noticeably worse results.

Oh, also, I think his sorta-bashing of waxy maize is kinda dumb. Phil Harrington (a significantly better PLer than Matt) wasn't getting any kind of payment for it, and he is the one that told me to start using it...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Isolflex

Recommended by Robb Wolf in his post-workout blog (mostly cuz of the insulin sensitizer I believe) and peeps in our box due to mixability and taste. I've tried the choclate mint - yum.

www.bodybuilding.com (wfs) has a good price, and when I read the reviews I was further convinced
Old 03-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
Matt Holmer

Profile:

I've looked around by can't seem to find the answer.

Is ON 100% Whey protein gluten free?

If not, what is the best brand of protein to use on the paleo diet? Egg protein? (should be gluten and dairy free) Does anyone have a specifc brand they use?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Holmer View Post
Should be AFAIK.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Holmer View Post
Thanks
I looked into that a few months ago but was never able to find out for sure. Under allergen information they only list milk and soy. It's a good sign that they don't mention wheat. However, it is possible that the protein could have some gluten cross-contamination from being produced in a facility that also handles wheat products. IMO ON 100% Whey is probably fine. However, I highly recommend IsoFlex. It is 100% gluten-free and delicious.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

I think its a little funny how the guy asked for WHEY ISOLATE...yet majority are mentioning whey blends.

Allmax, IsoFlex is good.
Bio-X extreme Power Whey Isolate is good as well.
I know those 2 offer Natural versions (no artificial crap in it, sweetened with Stevia leaf, etc)

I liked the Gaspari IntraPro good taste.
NxCare, IsoXP is pretty damn good too.

I've never been a fan of PVL, Ultimate nutrition or Interactive.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #18
Chris Mason

Profile:

The recommendations for a blend are based upon the fact a blend is superior (primarily via superior net retention). Why would someone not attempt to educate him?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #19
Ben Chew

Profile:

I have had pretty good results and have really enjoyed Hemp protein powder.

Check these guys out http://www.nutiva.com/products/0_protein.php (WFS)
Old 04-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #20
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

A blend is not better in the case that OP mentioned...which is PWO...you want SPEED which means ISOLATE.