CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
Mark Markley

Profile:
Re: Multi-Vitamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
If you plan on buying Centrum, I can give my address and you can just send the money to me, and save yourself a pill. Do your research on them. Just because something is the most popular, DOES NOT mean it's the best for you. Don't be a victim of clever marketing.
Just like my patients that tell me they have a healthy snack of Dannon's "fruit on the bottom" yogurt? Yea, filled with 37g of sugar!!!
By your vitamins the same way you should your food....Quality!

Just an observation... If you are going to urinate on the poster in question, might it also be beneficial to provide some contrary detail, like a suggestion? Otherwise, it sorta comes off as grating and not worth considering as data...
Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Markley View Post
Just an observation... If you are going to urinate on the poster in question, might it also be beneficial to provide some contrary detail, like a suggestion? Otherwise, it sorta comes off as grating and not worth considering as data...
I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone with my post. There have been several discussions on vitamins before, I posted on what I use, recommend to my patients, backed by real, independent studies in its absorption rates, and in reduction of inflammation....however it happens to be sold through multi-level marketing, so I had to deal with clowns on here and their opinions, so in that post I opted not to post it.

I take a liquid multi-vitamin/mineral called Vemma. You check out my website(http://drstrump.vemma.com)
NOTE-THIS IS NOT ME SELLING ANYTHING!
There are numerous studies showing the difficulty of absorption of many pills, not just vitamins(15-30% avg. absorption, vs 98% for most liquids)
Hope this helps, if you have any questions, let me know.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #13
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
There are numerous studies showing the difficulty of absorption of many pills, not just vitamins(15-30% avg. absorption, vs 98% for most liquids).
Centrum liquid version.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Centrum liquid version.
Let me correct that:
There are numerous studies showing the difficulty of absorption of many pills, not just vitamins(15-30% avg. absorption, vs 98% for most liquids)
For Centrum, I do not know specifics, however I would suppose that the liquid Centrum would be absorbed better than the pill.

As for the 2 studies I spoke of, here they are. One is about the bioavailability of the vitamin, and the other is it's anti-inflammatory benefits(measures levels of C-reactive protein).

http://www.vemma.com/science/YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

If you are not a research guy or gal; the 5 key words to look for in a study are: Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled.

Last edited by Brian Strump : 12-17-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Forgot something, forgot the studies this time....long day
Old 12-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
Mark Markley

Profile:

Quote:
I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone with my post. There have been several discussions on vitamins before, I posted on what I use, recommend to my patients, backed by real, independent studies in its absorption rates, and in reduction of inflammation....however it happens to be sold through multi-level marketing, so I had to deal with clowns on here and their opinions, so in that post I opted not to post it.

I take a liquid multi-vitamin/mineral called Vemma. You check out my website(http://drstrump.vemma.comYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.)
NOTE-THIS IS NOT ME SELLING ANYTHING!
Hope this helps, if you have any questions, let me know.
Sorry for the grouse... Just one of those days.

Thanks for the clarification. I find too frequently on some sites there are plenty of people who come out with a terse reply without anything to justify this. I appreciate the links and will give them a look.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Markley View Post
Sorry for the grouse... Just one of those days.

Thanks for the clarification. I find too frequently on some sites there are plenty of people who come out with a terse reply without anything to justify this. I appreciate the links and will give them a look.
No sweat Mark. Although it says I'm from Charlotte(3 years) and the picture is from Egypt(10 days), I'm originally from NYC. Thick skin. And I said NY, not the "Jersey Shore"!
We all have those days, hope yours is over soon.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

waste of money. Just eat more fruits and veggies!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer View Post
waste of money. Just eat more fruits and veggies!!!
Impossible to get all you need from more fruit and vegetables. You would be ill from eating so much, and more unfortunate is that the soil is so depleted of nutrients over the last 70-100 years.
The broccoli our grandparents ate just isn't the same.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #19
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Almost impossible to find a randomized, placebo controlled, double blinded study of the kind of MV we are talking about here. If someone finds one, please post, but to my knowledge, that data is just not there.

There is, however, concerning data like this (wfs): http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/c...b342c7a92e7153 linking higher doses of MV use with aggressive prostate cancers. Cause for pause.

Yes, this is a cohort study with all of the associated pitfalls. But in medicine, treatments have been withdrawn based on less data than this. In the absence of RCT showing any benefit, and with the knowledge of studies like this, why would you bother?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #20
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pierce View Post
Almost impossible to find a randomized, placebo controlled, double blinded study of the kind of MV we are talking about here. If someone finds one, please post, but to my knowledge, that data is just not there.

There is, however, concerning data like this (wfs): http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/c...b342c7a92e7153 linking higher doses of MV use with aggressive prostate cancers. Cause for pause.

Yes, this is a cohort study with all of the associated pitfalls. But in medicine, treatments have been withdrawn based on less data than this. In the absence of RCT showing any benefit, and with the knowledge of studies like this, why would you bother?

It's just one, albeit, not a long term study that was published in Journal of Medicinal Food, Aug. 2009 that is a randomized, placebo controlled, double blinded study for the MV I have discussed.

http://vemma.com/pdf/JMF_clincalStudy.pdf(wfs)