CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #21
William Jackson

Profile:
Re: "DT"'s Intended Effects

maybe its to develop work capacity with a barbell...
every time we touch a barbell its light weight/high reps or heavy weight/low reps. it seems fitting we have a medium weight/medium reps for the sake of balance. i dont beleive medium/medium is the most effective training strategy but it couldnt hurt every once and awhile
never know if we will get a Deadlift 10-10-10-10-10, i know we had it for front squats...

P.S.
remember the "135lbs of Death"? that sucked way more than this
Old 07-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #22
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:

It seems alot of you are saying to perform any and all WODs RX if you are able to.
That's completely opposite to what the trainers tell you in the Level 1 certs. Their idea is to train to improve your work capacity. If you do all WODs RX just because you can lift the weights or barely complete a handstad pushup you are training yourself to be slow. A Fran that takes 10 min feels completely different than a Fran that takes 3 minutes.

Can I hear so arguements WHY one should follow one method over the other?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #23
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina A. Burton View Post
It seems alot of you are saying to perform any and all WODs RX if you are able to.
That's completely opposite to what the trainers tell you in the Level 1 certs. Their idea is to train to improve your work capacity. If you do all WODs RX just because you can lift the weights or barely complete a handstad pushup you are training yourself to be slow. A Fran that takes 10 min feels completely different than a Fran that takes 3 minutes.

Can I hear so arguements WHY one should follow one method over the other?
I've observed in other threads that many people seem to believe that scaling is inherently bad and should be avoided, to the extent of doing something other than Crossfit (usually Starting Strength) until one is strong enough for the Rxed workouts. This seems to be a belief that is based in faith, rather than any real discussion of training effects.

Other people observe that scaling heavy, if not as Rxed, shifts the effect of the workout from metabolic conditioning to strength, and view strength-biased workouts as desirable. They argue that strength takes longer to build than metcon, and therefore a lack of strength should be addressed first.

My affiliate tends to scale people on the heavy side, but not to the point where their form gets ugly. Lots of reps with bad form means a bad habit that will need to be fixed later.

Katherine
Old 07-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #24
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

Quote:
They argue that strength takes longer to build than metcon
There is a bit of an irony in that statement.
Plus, it's interesting, because a few month ago, I thougth so as well.

Once, I did everythin with more weighth than I should.
was always completely wrecked
thought it gives me "an edge"

people, if you can't do 21 thrusters with 95 pounds because the weight is too heavy and you are wobbling like a pudding after rep 10 then you took too much weight.

It only takes longer to build strength because you are trying to build strength in a metcon AND on the strength days. Now how do you think that'll work?

...or at least scale back the reps. maybe you can't do 21 consecutive kipping pullups either, let alone after thrusters! then maybe scale the reps to 15-12-9.
in 5 month from now (when the workout shows up the next time) you are most likely to do ALOT more of those.

and there is the psychological effect.
what do you know about yourself, if your "as Rx'd" Fran time is: 12:34?
well... nothing!
and how are you going to tackle it the next time?
trying to plow through the 21's finally and then do just a few every 20 secs in the sets of 15 and 9?
splitting everything into 3's or 5's from the get go?
maybe you can get through the first two rounds unbroken, if you REALLY try? and then do singles?

again, if you don't have any idea about what you're doing, then how can you improve on that?

i more and more feel that people think, they are elite when doing these workouts "as RX'd".
"if those workouts are intended for elite athletes and I can just do it as rx'd then... I must be elite too"
well suprise, but: there is NOTHING elite, if your RX'd Elisabeth takes you 26 minutes because you did almost singles on the deadlifts and a few handstand push ups and you have no idea on how to improve on that the next time.

People think it gives them some kind of edge, if they do more than they should, when instead they shy away from the short time domains.
There's no excuse to break up the sets with a 75lbs Thruster.
oh no, then I'd rather take 95 and work on my strength...

I am by no means a good crossfiter but I am not sorry for this rant.
I just feel that a lot of advice goes against any common sense.

Peace and train hard ;-)

Last edited by Marcel Zwinger : 07-23-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:16 AM   #25
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

I think there is a reason DT is 155, and not 135 or less. I think anyone could still get a pretty good metcon effect from blazing through all five rounds at 115.

I think the point of this is to actually grunt it out a bit. I'm not saying you should be lifting so heavy that you are taking full minute breaks, but I think it is okay to struggle with the weight some.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #26
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

yes, I agree. to struggle "a bit". or maybe struggle completely at the end.
AT THE END
...and not from the get go.

but that's just my opinion
Old 07-24-2009, 07:10 AM   #27
Sean Dunston

Profile:

[quote=Tom Seryak;630617]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I totally disagree.

This is a Hero WOD.

If you can do it as RX'd, you do it as RX'd no matter how long it takes.

Hero WOD? so what. say someone has a 1 rep max of 165 power clean. they should do prescribed weight b/c it is a hero wod? there is a line between fitness and injury/illness and it would be crossed in this scenario. we did this wod a few weeks back and we put a 15 minute time limit on it. if it takes longer than that, you lose out on the intended intensity of this WOD (ok maybe after 20 minutes), thereby losing a benefit towards fitness.
Tom-
Clearly, you missed my post on page 2, a few posts up from yours, where I addressed the strength/1RM issue.

No biggee.

i pretty much agree with your reasoning - just wanted to point out, that I addressed this too.

We just have different opinions on the matter. I try to do all WODs as RX'd - especially Hero WODs.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #28
Matt Charney

Profile:

Let me take a stab at the original posters questions.

"I was just wondering what today's wod "DT" 's intended effects are."

Every workout will have different effects for different athletes. Coach is programming for how many people with the mainpage WOD.

"Should I scale the weight enough so that I get the effect rather than be a slow drawn out strenght work out?"

As a coach I will take the WOD and scale it depending on the needs of the athlete. There are three options, prescibed, scale down or scale up. Go with the option you like the least it is probably what you need the most.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #29
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Zwinger View Post
yes, I agree. to struggle "a bit". or maybe struggle completely at the end.
AT THE END
...and not from the get go.

but that's just my opinion
I agree. I think a lot of times the question isn't whether or not to scale, but whether to scale weight or rounds/reps. If you are struggling with the weight right out of the gate, then you should scale the weight. If you don't start to struggle until 2 or three rounds in, then maybe consider scaling the reps or rounds.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #30
Mike Wright

Profile:

Finish scaled or finish quickly, basically a quantity vs. quality issue. I think too many of us are time-centric and not focused on full ROM / technique / weight. The trend in CF is strength and ROM/form, as evidenced by the games format for the past 2 years.

I remember an early video when coach asked that very question, should we do the movements well or should we do them quickly - to which he answered "YES". We should do both. Large loads, long distance, quickly.

"DT" put me in this predicament. Last time I used 135# and finished in 29 min. I was tempted to use 135# again and improve that time, but I chose to go rx'd. This time I finished in 24 min @ 155! Even if I had gotten a slower time rx'd (>29 min) I would have felt like I had cheated, like I had fudged the #'s to post a better time.

This probably self-corrects a little when we do the WOD's in a group, but when we workout alone, its always a tough choice.