CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Jonathan Garcia

Profile:
college student crossfiter needing some help. doing paleo and needing help with multi

hi ive been doing crossfit for approximately 6 months. its been rough because before hand i used to take alot of supps and did a ton of weightlifting. i quit taking my supps cold turkey and stopped my golds gym membership so i could switch to crossfit and just do paleo diet.

im a full time college student so my budget and time doesnt really allow me to stick to the zone easily therefore i switched to the paleo diet hoping that would suffice.

problem is im still holding on to about 20 stubborn pounds that prevent me from taking off my shirt in public. i used to weigh 250 and now am 210 but i wanna get down to 180 im about 6ft tall.

i feel myself gassing out during the WoDs and its been suggested i take a multi if im not getting everything i need...i know i know i should be able to get everything from the foods i eat but i dont have the time and money to stay strict to it so some multis could safety net me i guess.

any suggestions on a good brand? universal animal pak? also ive heard alot of the crossfiters taking endurox r4 but its too high in calories for me could i take scivation xtend to help me out in quicker recoverys? i do crossfit than have a krav maga class or mma class after and i need a boost .

i know i typed alot but i figure the more info i provide the better youll be able to advise me.

thank you for your time.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
John S Park

Profile:
Re: college student crossfiter needing some help. doing paleo and needing help with m

I think if you are gassing out on your WODS, then you might be overtraining. It sounds like you do a lot of activity from crossfit to krav maga/mma. I'm a college student myself and I know that IF (intermittent feeding) helps me a lot in time management. Make sure you are eating enough food to fuel your workouts or cut back on your workouts.. I use a lot of nuts and oils to raise my caloric intake and it helps me pack a lot of calories in my shorter eating window.

I'm not sure if a multi vitamin will help you and sorry if this post is of no help to you. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Jonathan Garcia

Profile:
Re: college student crossfiter needing some help. doing paleo and needing help with m

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S Park View Post
I think if you are gassing out on your WODS, then you might be overtraining. It sounds like you do a lot of activity from crossfit to krav maga/mma. I'm a college student myself and I know that IF (intermittent feeding) helps me a lot in time management. Make sure you are eating enough food to fuel your workouts or cut back on your workouts.. I use a lot of nuts and oils to raise my caloric intake and it helps me pack a lot of calories in my shorter eating window.

I'm not sure if a multi vitamin will help you and sorry if this post is of no help to you. I hope you find what you are looking for.
i do eat at least 5 spaced out smaller meals i try to balance them using alot of peanut butter and nuts to try to fill me in between.

all posts help me since im struggling right now. so anyone with any input or suggestions, maybe some advice on the multivitamins or review on animal pak, as well as thoughts on my using scivation xtend as a post workout to help me since other crossfiters use endurox but i dont want all those carbs and calories. :stir:
Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Jon,

First off man job well done on your previous accomplishments, and good to see another central Texas man on the boards! I remember what it use to feel like not wanting to take my shirt off in public and crossfit/paleo is exactly what got me right! I am going to give you some advise and it is just one guys opinion. You'll get a lot of "good ideas" on the boards, sift through them, take time to figure out which works best for your body, and then give it enough time to take effect before changing up your routine again.

Multi-vit.....I fully believe that most Americans need some sort of vitamin supp. Your generic off the shelf multi vitamin will do, no need to spend tons of money on animal pak. I have taken it before, not worth it IMHO. When I was going through combat divers training I also took endurox due to the extended endurance training. I don't think you need it at this point.

With that out of the way, the multi isn't going to keep you from feeling gassed. There is another element here that we don't know.

A couple of things can cause that feeling, Diet being a big one, over training, lack of sleep, and some sort of illness/injury.

Lets start with your diet and sleep.

Go to www.fitday.com wfs and log a couple days worth of meals for us and post it. Tell us how much sleep you are getting a night.

Look forward to your response...feel free to PM as well.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 05-31-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
Jonathan Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
Jon,

First off man job well done on your previous accomplishments, and good to see another central Texas man on the boards! I remember what it use to feel like not wanting to take my shirt off in public and crossfit/paleo is exactly what got me right! I am going to give you some advise and it is just one guys opinion. You'll get a lot of "good ideas" on the boards, sift through them, take time to figure out which works best for your body, and then give it enough time to take effect before changing up your routine again.

Multi-vit.....I fully believe that most Americans need some sort of vitamin supp. Your generic off the shelf multi vitamin will do, no need to spend tons of money on animal pak. I have taken it before, not worth it IMHO. When I was going through combat divers training I also took endurox due to the extended endurance training. I don't think you need it at this point.

With that out of the way, the multi isn't going to keep you from feeling gassed. There is another element here that we don't know.

A couple of things can cause that feeling, Diet being a big one, over training, lack of sleep, and some sort of illness/injury.

Lets start with your diet and sleep.

Go to www.fitday.com wfs and log a couple days worth of meals for us and post it. Tell us how much sleep you are getting a night.

Look forward to your response...feel free to PM as well.

Thanks man its been hard just getting to this point.

your from texas too? cool what parts? camp mabry, fort hood?

k so i could just get some generic multi? pretty confusing going to the markets aisle and seeing like 1,000,000 different brands and formulas all claiming to be better than the other. one of my cf friends he tried something called "first step multi vitamin" in liquid form. any thoughts?

i dont think im at the point where i need endurox either its just too full of carbs and calories. thats why people suggested scivation xtenze, and now controlled labs purple wraath or optimum nutritions recovery powder.

the whole reason i started to look into those powders is that i have the will and desire to go day after day to the WoDs and classes but the soreness and weakness the following day hampers my performance and some days i just cant make it to the WoD because im so destroyed from the previous days workout. so i was told to take something to speed up my recovery on those hellish days so i can keep pushing forward.

from the various sites ive seen the powders i listed are supposedly effective but i wanted some input from crossfiters and their suggestions/reviews/experiences.

my sleep avg at least 8 hours a night. no chronic injuries that would hamper my performance.

my diet is pretty generic alot of chicken, tuna, turkey, eggs, beans and whey for my proteins.
carbs are generally whatever is in season here from the farmers market or on sale at whole foods right now i have a stocked fridge of frozen strawberries and pineapple and blueberries and mango, fresh apples, plums, bag of red seedless grapes, kiwis, frozen broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, red bell peppers, cucumbers, green onions, romaine hearts.
dairy is low fat milk, skim cheeses, and plain yogurt.

i cant really put out portion to portion because im seldomly at home so ill just grab what i can when i can. i follow this rule of thumb...for every portion of protein i do double of carbs. so one third of my plate is protein the rest is the carbs.

i drink alot of water to keep hydrated.

that is my diet at least for the next week till i go to the market again.

and btw thank you for your service in the forces.

i do WoDs generally m-f and mma t, th, fri, and krave mon and whenever else i can fit it in.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Garcia View Post

and btw thank you for your service in the forces.

i do WoDs generally m-f and mma t, th, fri, and krave mon and whenever else i can fit it in.
I thoroughly enjoy my Job, thank you for paying your Taxes! I am from Fort Hood, born south of Dallas.

Ok, how many calories are you taking in and what is the break down? That is why I recommend fitday. You seem like you have a solid grasp on food choices, now we need to get down to the amounts.

You are doing a 5-2 program? This could be over training if you aren't getting enough food. The more is better thing doesn't apply to CF.

Have you ever tried low-carb? I ask that since your goal is to lose BF and you made the comment of the 1/3 protein, 2/3 carb. If your body can take that cool, mine certainly couldn't.

For me to lose weight at a decent clip I need to eat 2400 calories at a
55%Fat 5%Carb 40% Protein split. You are taller than I, but we are close. Something to think about.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Garcia View Post
the whole reason i started to look into those powders is that i have the will and desire to go day after day to the WoDs and classes but the soreness and weakness the following day hampers my performance and some days i just cant make it to the WoD because im so destroyed from the previous days workout. so i was told to take something to speed up my recovery on those hellish days so i can keep pushing forward.
Um... what's wrong with rest? Nothing -- at least nothing legal -- is going to do as much for your recovery as a day off.

Five days a week of Crossfit plus four days of martial arts is a LOT of training. If you're too destroyed to work out, that's your body telling you to back off. Listen to it, or you'll be sorry down the road. You'll also need to eat a LOT to support that kind of load.

Katherine
Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
Mat Frankel

Profile:

^^^^^^^
thats exactly what I was going to say.
The vitamins and recovery supplements that your looking at will NOT make your body fresh after a CF WOD or a MMA class. There is nothing that will besides natural rest and healing. You have to see that the fitness industry as a whole can sell whatever they want including claims of increased healing times because the "tests" they have done are not really real. They use alot of testing on people who are biking for a certain amount of time, give them the drink, and see if they can go longer and harder for another amount of time. ...doesn't sound like CF and MMA to me. Take rest, youd body needs it and will thank you for it.