CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Mike Miner

Profile:
Talking Am I paying way to Much

I was just wondering how much the Average crossfitter pays to go to their local Affiliate. The only place anywhere near i live is ridiculous
First i have to pay 35 a month, then 5 bucks a class. If I do 4 classes a week thats almost 100 bucks a month, my broke *** cant afford that
Old 04-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Justin Rovtar

Profile:
Re: Am I paying way to Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miner View Post
I was just wondering how much the Average CrossFitter pays to go to their local Affiliate. The only place anywhere near i live is ridiculous
First i have to pay 35 a month, then 5 bucks a class. If I do 4 classes a week thats almost 100 bucks a month, my broke *** cant afford that
I think you are getting a deal. That is cheap.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Wil Vicinus

Profile:

Mike, in the long run only you can determine if the price you're paying is worth it to you. Here are some things to consider when determining if you think $100 a month is worth it...

1) What do CrossFits in SIMILAR locations charge? If you ask for input from anyone on the board you'll get a range from anywhere between $30 to $300 per month, but those don't necessarily reflect the same economic situation that your local affiliate is in. When I was affiliating I researched pricing in the Northeast US and I think an average of $100 per month is on the lower side of average for east coast affiliates.

2) What are you getting for the money? Do the trainers at your affiliate know their stuff and are they helping you to progress and to stay motivated? Are they giving you personal attention? Do the hours at the affiliate work for your schedule? Do you look forward to hitting a WOD there every day? Do you feel that the trainers value and respect you?

3) If you really can't afford it but want to continue training at your affiliate, are they willing to talk to you and weigh any options? Can you barter or trade any services in exchange for a discounted / free membership?

There are a lot of threads out there talking about how most affiliates are not in it for the money (they're not) and about how there isn't really a way to compare the cost of a CF membership to the cost of a globo - so I won't go into those...

Think about the value first - then you'll know if it's worth price. Best of luck.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Thats a VERY cheap rate assuming they are a decent affiliate. Actually its a pretty damn reasonable way to do it. You pay a small fee per month and then a small per class fee. Kinda saves you from the problem of I paid 200 a month for unlimited but come once a week, or paying 10-20$ / Class.

If you cant afford 100/mo for unlimited crossfit find somewhere else to do it, or get a side job to get the cash. cause thats a steal
Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Ditto what pretty much everyone else here has said... that is an extremely affordable rate, and fair considering that in months that you have the time to go frequently, you pay fairly for the coaching, nutritional advice, motivation, and constant assistance with improvement which comes with (at least in my experience) training at an affiliate. To get that level of attention from a typical personal trainer would be an order of magnitude more expensive and, probably, less useful (not to blindly criticize trainers everywhere, but again, personal experience).

On the flip side, in months which you cannot, for some reason, attend the box, you're not paying for time you're not using, minus a very modest monthly membership.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

maybe sell a kidney?
Thats got to be worth at least a few years worth of dues
Old 04-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

I spoke with one of my former clients from my time when I was a personal trainer at 24 Hour Fitness. She said that it's almost $1000 for ten sessions with a personal trainer there now. That's on top of her $50/per month membership fee. If you're going to an affiliate, you're not just paying to use their equipment, you're paying for coaching. At a globo gym they could charge you $100/month just to use the equipment with no coaching included whatsoever. If you can't afford $100/month right now (I can't either) I suggest building a home gym slowly with as much homemade equipment as possible. That's what I'm doing until our financial situation improves. Sandbags, rings, kettlebells, and PVC pipes filled with sand are all I have in my garage. I have to make substitutions due to equipment often, but at least I'm still getting a great workout, a much better workout than I ever got at 24 Hour Fitness.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
Scott Stevens

Profile:

What everyone else said. It sounds cheap...er..inexpensive to me.

My affiliate costs more than that. For me it's worth it for reasons already mentioned but I'll list them here (not necessarily in order of importance):
1. trainers. They know their stuff and constantly call you out on bull**** form. You get a better and safer workout.
2. programming. I have something to do everyday that's different. Ya, I could follow the main page WODs, but this brings me to step 3.
3. the people I train with. The gym does a pretty good job of filtering out bad seeds. Everyone I workout with wants to tear an ***hole through every workout and has the positive attitude to go along with it. This comraderie is invaluable to me.

On top of the price I pay, I also drive almost 30 miles each way. There are a couple dozen closer gyms to me. Hell, for the last year I've had a paid for membership to a local gym which I've barely used. I tacked the membership card to the pushpin board at my gym when I was leaving yesterday. I think there's still a month left on it.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Mike Miner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel desGarennes View Post
maybe sell a kidney?
Thats got to be worth at least a few years worth of dues
LOL i hadnt thought of that.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Mike Miner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Bigongiari View Post
I spoke with one of my former clients from my time when I was a personal trainer at 24 Hour Fitness. She said that it's almost $1000 for ten sessions with a personal trainer there now. That's on top of her $50/per month membership fee. If you're going to an affiliate, you're not just paying to use their equipment, you're paying for coaching. At a globo gym they could charge you $100/month just to use the equipment with no coaching included whatsoever. If you can't afford $100/month right now (I can't either) I suggest building a home gym slowly with as much homemade equipment as possible. That's what I'm doing until our financial situation improves. Sandbags, rings, kettlebells, and PVC pipes filled with sand are all I have in my garage. I have to make substitutions due to equipment often, but at least I'm still getting a great workout, a much better workout than I ever got at 24 Hour Fitness.
I have a Gym ay the school I work but its limited, no rings or kettlebells and such, and yeah right now for me 100$ a month is a little much, man Im broke. LOL