CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #21
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: Without Further Ado...Renee's Testimonal!!11!eleventy!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Urbanski View Post
Hey Renee: AMAZING progress!! Thanks for sharing!! As a "newbie" I am especially impressed with your progress--both with your lifting/CF workouts and your body changes!!! You JUST started CF in Sept and have already made that much prgress!!? I hope I can say the same soon. Do you train with an affiliate? How many days a week do you work out? Just wonderin' what is your "secret". I really am impressed!! good job!
Thanks Marianne! i try to stick to 3 on/1 off as best as i can. I'll fess up to going to the gym on my "rest day" and doing some work on my pullups, (I'M GETTING A FARKING PULLUP BEFORE THE SUMMER IF IT KILLS ME!! *grumble*) but with my BrandX 50 day HSPU challenge, i've been overtrained and have taken two or three days off (except for the hspus usually, of course...falling behind on those was terrible) in a row, with lots of steak, has let me rebound stronger.

Nope, no affiliate and no secret. I'm pretty sure n00bs, especially those that were allergic to exercise before crossfit, see such tremendous gains in their first year because crossfit really IS that much more effective than the "traditional" method. If you hit the wods as hard as you can, you'll definitely see similar progress!

Also, i've heard the sentiment that 80% of weight loss is nutrition...i've been eating about 75%? paleo and just recently added dairy back in (yay milk!). So bacon every morning and whole milk after every workout could be pegged as my "secret," but the uninitiated would call me insane
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.

Last edited by Renee Lee : 02-22-2009 at 08:09 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #22
Marianne Urbanski
Member Marianne Urbanski is offline
 
Marianne Urbanski's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Meriden  CT
Posts: 1,508
Re: Without Further Ado...Renee's Testimonal!!11!eleventy!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i try to stick to 3 on/1 off as best as i can. I'll fess up to going to the gym on my "rest day" and doing some work on my pullups. (I'M GETTING A FARKING PULLUP BEFORE THE SUMMER IF IT KILLS ME!! *grumble*)

Nope, no affiliate and no secret. I'm pretty sure n00bs, especially those that were allergic to exercise before CrossFit, see such tremendous gains in their first year because CrossFit really IS that much more effective than the "traditional" method. If you hit the wods as hard as you can, you'll definitely see similar progress!

Also, i've heard the sentiment that 80% of weight loss is nutrition...i've been eating about 75%? paleo and just recently added dairy back in (yay milk!). So bacon every morning and whole milk after every workout could be pegged as my "secret," but the uninitiated would call me insane
What's a FARKING pullup? Dead hang? I see you already have kipping ones--10 rounds on death by pullups? (yea, and some more!!).. I JUST got my kipping pullups and did my FIRST workout with them on Friday. I think my affiliate is doing FRAN next week, so let's see what happens then!!
You do this all on your own with no affiliate? Good job!! I am really lucky to have an affliliate in my town, cuz I don't think I would be able to do this stuff at "Globo" gym. I am away this weekend and I went to my old "globo" gym yesterday and really hated it!! I suppose I am really spoiled (and grateful) for the affiliate and support at my gym. I smacked my chin yesterday with the bar as I was trying to do a thruster and my form obviously sucked!! I really need the coaching becuase these moves are all really foreign to me! (I never heard of "snatch" and "jerk" before CF!)

I also have been doing the no grains/no sugar thing, but I just can't go without milk in my coffee. I spent this weekend with lots of parties (irish/italian funeral, you know) and WAY too much wine. I also had the first cookie in over a month!! I find it easier to give up sugar and starch than my wine (thank GOD for dark chocolate!). I usually only have a glass or two max, but... well.. the "parties" this weekend really got to me! Do you count blocks like "zone" too or do you just monitor the grains/sugar? I notice most people on CF usually do a combo of zone/paleo.
Anyway.. your progress is really inspiring!! Keep posting and I will keep checking it! It motivates me and helps me to know that I can do it too!! thanks!!
__________________
my book (wfs)5'/51y/120lb
log
, L1,gym,row, oly cert
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #23
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: Without Further Ado...Renee's Testimonal!!11!eleventy!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Urbanski View Post
What's a FARKING pullup? Dead hang? I see you already have kipping ones--10 rounds on death by pullups? (yea, and some more!!).. I JUST got my kipping pullups and did my FIRST workout with them on Friday. I think my affiliate is doing FRAN next week, so let's see what happens then!!
You do this all on your own with no affiliate? Good job!! I am really lucky to have an affliliate in my town, cuz I don't think I would be able to do this stuff at "Globo" gym. I am away this weekend and I went to my old "globo" gym yesterday and really hated it!! I suppose I am really spoiled (and grateful) for the affiliate and support at my gym. I smacked my chin yesterday with the bar as I was trying to do a thruster and my form obviously sucked!! I really need the coaching becuase these moves are all really foreign to me! (I never heard of "snatch" and "jerk" before CF!)

I also have been doing the no grains/no sugar thing, but I just can't go without milk in my coffee. I spent this weekend with lots of parties (irish/italian funeral, you know) and WAY too much wine. I also had the first cookie in over a month!! I find it easier to give up sugar and starch than my wine (thank GOD for dark chocolate!). I usually only have a glass or two max, but... well.. the "parties" this weekend really got to me! Do you count blocks like "zone" too or do you just monitor the grains/sugar? I notice most people on CF usually do a combo of zone/paleo.
Anyway.. your progress is really inspiring!! Keep posting and I will keep checking it! It motivates me and helps me to know that I can do it too!! thanks!!
no, a farking pullup is a censored version of what i wanted to say. lol. i've been doing band assisted pullups since i got my rubber bands in the mail two months ago, so my 10 rounds on death by pullup is apparently misleading

I did crossfit on my own at my globo until a couple weeks ago. I've always been a solitary person that wants to do things my own way, so i soaked up as many form videos on the mainpage as i could and just went at it. And honestly...while having a trainer at an affiliate standing next to you helping you with a snatch or clean is great, especially people that learn best with hands on instruction, is there really anybody better to learn from than Coach B? lol.

I DID just recently (like two weeks ago) join a new globo that has a separate room for CFing. (I think they even used to be affiliated...but i believe it ran out and the globo management hasn't renewed yet...not sure. i haven't been there long enough to know what's actually going on) Anyway, there are at least two regular gym-goers that are level 1 certified and one of the employees of the gym is level 2 certified. While there aren't official organized CF classes, the feedback and support i've gotten since i've been there is an extremely welcome change.

with your thruster, your form was actually probably mostly okay! smacking yourself in the chin means you pushed the bar up in a straight line (which is what you always want to do) and just failed to get your head out of the way in time. I think most crossfitters have done it, sworn they'll never do it again...then done it again. lol. don't worry, you're in good company!

i eat more fruits than veggies, which is something i need to work on...but whatever. one nutritional step at a time. I'm probably going to zone eventually...I tried it before i realized that you could get rid of carb blocks and add three fat blocks, so i was totally overwhelmed by having to eat as much broccoli as i had to. i really just wanted to eat pudding to get 'em over with. lol. That only lasted a couple of days. hah. I'll most likely go back to it when i get to a sub 5min fran body.
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #24
Lori Doss
Member Lori Doss is offline
 
Lori Doss's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise  Idaho
Posts: 51
Re: Without Further Ado...Renee's Testimonal!!11!eleventy!1!

Renee,

Great job and awesome improvements on your lifts. Don't you just love getting fit and stronger?

And that pull-up will come! Did you get bands in different resistances?
__________________
Crossfit has taught me that even when I think I can't, I know I will.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #25
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: Without Further Ado...Renee's Testimonal!!11!eleventy!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Doss View Post
Renee,

Great job and awesome improvements on your lifts. Don't you just love getting fit and stronger?

And that pull-up will come! Did you get bands in different resistances?
yep. i got the package from iron woody. i have one or two SLOW pullups at a time on the green band, and ~8 in a row on the black band. i think i'll be able to get more reps with the green band in about a week, then i'll get to the blue band for slow singles.

i'm so close i can taste it! : )
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #26
Marianne Urbanski
Member Marianne Urbanski is offline
 
Marianne Urbanski's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Meriden  CT
Posts: 1,508
Re: Without Further Ado...Renee's Testimonal!!11!eleventy!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
yep. i got the package from iron woody. i have one or two SLOW pullups at a time on the green band, and ~8 in a row on the black band. i think i'll be able to get more reps with the green band in about a week, then i'll get to the blue band for slow singles.

i'm so close i can taste it! : )
Renee:
kipping pullups were my #1 goal this year and I did just what you are doing. I got the woody bands. how are you using them? I used them mostly under my feet (hooked on pegs on sides of rack) when I was at the gym--mostly cuz it was faster than getting in and out of the stirup style, but at home I put up a pullup bar and I did the stirup ones there. do you have a pullup bar at home? It is really a great (cheap) investment. I am certainly not an expert, but I did pullups many times a week at home--everything from one or two when I could, to sets mixed with something else if I didn't make it to the gym. I finally can say that I can now do any workout with kipping pullups, no bands!! (did "backwards, upside down Fran today for the first time as RX'd!) It will come for you too. try to "kip" when you do the stirup style band.. It really helped me get the kipping move down!!
well.. I am still a newbie, so I don' t want to sound like I know much, but I can really sympathize with the pullup thing cuz I am obsessed with it! I love to hear about your progress.... you inspire me!! keep up the good work and I will be checking in to watch you grow stronger!!
__________________
my book (wfs)5'/51y/120lb
log
, L1,gym,row, oly cert
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #27
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: Without Further Ado...Renee's Testimonal!!11!eleventy!1!

i was under the impression until yesterday that because of the way a band wants to move, kipping with them was awkward at best, and not possible at worst. I've attempted to kip a bit with them when i get stuck on a rep, but i can't get it.

i also found out yesterday that my hip extension is terrible...so that's probably why i'm struggling with the kip.

i use 'em stirrup style, and i have a bar in the house. on my "rest" days i do 21-18-15-12-9-6-3-1 reps of pullups with the heavier band i'm on, and some times when there's a WOD without pullups, i do sets to failure with the lighter band that i'm on until i get to 10-15 reps or something like that.

i know it's coming, i'm just super impatient : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Urbanski View Post
Renee:
kipping pullups were my #1 goal this year and I did just what you are doing. I got the woody bands. how are you using them? I used them mostly under my feet (hooked on pegs on sides of rack) when I was at the gym--mostly cuz it was faster than getting in and out of the stirup style, but at home I put up a pullup bar and I did the stirup ones there. do you have a pullup bar at home? It is really a great (cheap) investment. I am certainly not an expert, but I did pullups many times a week at home--everything from one or two when I could, to sets mixed with something else if I didn't make it to the gym. I finally can say that I can now do any workout with kipping pullups, no bands!! (did "backwards, upside down Fran today for the first time as RX'd!) It will come for you too. try to "kip" when you do the stirup style band.. It really helped me get the kipping move down!!
well.. I am still a newbie, so I don' t want to sound like I know much, but I can really sympathize with the pullup thing cuz I am obsessed with it! I love to hear about your progress.... you inspire me!! keep up the good work and I will be checking in to watch you grow stronger!!
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #28
Marianne Urbanski
Member Marianne Urbanski is offline
 
Marianne Urbanski's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Meriden  CT
Posts: 1,508
Re: Without Further Ado...Renee's Testimonal!!11!eleventy!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i was under the impression until yesterday that because of the way a band wants to move, kipping with them was awkward at best, and not possible at worst. I've attempted to kip a bit with them when i get stuck on a rep, but i can't get it.

i also found out yesterday that my hip extension is terrible...so that's probably why i'm struggling with the kip.

i use 'em stirrup style, and i have a bar in the house. on my "rest" days i do 21-18-15-12-9-6-3-1 reps of pullups with the heavier band i'm on, and some times when there's a WOD without pullups, i do sets to failure with the lighter band that i'm on until i get to 10-15 reps or something like that.

i know it's coming, i'm just super impatient : )
yea, impatience is something I think all us CF'ers have in common!! YOu are doing great!! keep it up.
Yea, the kipping thing is tough with the band.. you hit your face on the swing!
keep the faith!! You are amazing!
__________________
my book (wfs)5'/51y/120lb
log
, L1,gym,row, oly cert
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
Brian Bedell
Member Brian Bedell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lantana  FL
Posts: 2,870
Re: Without Further Ado...Renee's Testimonal!!11!eleventy!1!

I did not know this about you, awesome work, congratulations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #30
Christine Sebastian
Member Christine Sebastian is offline
 
Christine Sebastian's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 147
Re: Without Further Ado...Renee's Testimonal!!11!eleventy!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i was under the impression until yesterday that because of the way a band wants to move, kipping with them was awkward at best, and not possible at worst. I've attempted to kip a bit with them when i get stuck on a rep, but i can't get it.

i also found out yesterday that my hip extension is terrible...so that's probably why i'm struggling with the kip.

i use 'em stirrup style, and i have a bar in the house. on my "rest" days i do 21-18-15-12-9-6-3-1 reps of pullups with the heavier band i'm on, and some times when there's a WOD without pullups, i do sets to failure with the lighter band that i'm on until i get to 10-15 reps or something like that.

i know it's coming, i'm just super impatient : )
I'll show you how to kip with the bands. Steve had us do that a couple of months ago.
__________________
f/43/5'4"/150
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CrossFit UK Testimonal David Easton Testimonials 3 07-11-2007 05:31 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.