CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #111
David Schneider

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman Ansari View Post
Thanks David, wow that's really impressive that you can do CFSB on top of all that training. Do you make any adjustments to the CFSB program or adop it completely with no changes?
I do the CFSB program pretty much straight up, as is. Like I said, I'll drop a metcon if need be, but I have been sticking to the program pretty strictly in addition to the Boxing and Jits.

Some can do it, some can't. Just see what works for you. This is a LOAD of **** to do all at once, so be careful.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #112
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

Earlier someone had asked for how to choose a weight for the high rep sets (15-20). In SS, Rip says that a good guideline for 20rm weight is 80% of your 5rm I think. I don't have it in front of me now, but it is very close to that (maybe 80% of 3rm). This falls in line pretty closely with the numbers that Jeff posted earlier.

I started CFSB last week, and have been fighting off a cold... I have not done the CFT in a while, and I may have started with my weights a tad high. I have not crashed and burned, but on the squats, I did not go low enough the last rep or two, and on the DL, I felt a little rounding in the back. Neither one was bad in a possible injury way, or in a crash and burn from overdoing it. As suggested in SS, should I have just done a couple of back off sets to concentrate on form? Or is this just the classic case of where I should switch from 3x5 to 5x3 or vice-versa? Or should I just knock the weights back by about 20#, and then just go for moderate 5# gains each week so that I can really lock down the form and feel good about it. Perhaps I'm overthinking all of this, but any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #113
Matt Charney

Profile:
Tight Schedule

I have a very tight schedule right now. Any suggestions from the CTD as to how to fit the program to my schedule would be greatly appreciated.

I have 1 hour exactly on Tues & Thurs @ 5am & Fri @ 4 pm. I have up to 2 hours Sat & Sun @ 7 am. Is there enough recovery time going 4 straight days Thurs-Sun & resting Monday & Wed.

I know I should just reset my priorities but I am trying to coordinate 2 schedules. My buddy's commitments and mine only allow us to get those times together.

Our only other option is to not do the workouts together.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #114
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I have a question about the 5x3 sets. I'm only getting 2 or 3 sets before I hit a pr. SHould I make the distance between sets smaller or do a few sets at the same weight before trying for a pr?

I C&P for 135 x3, 145 x 3, 150 x3 (pr) 155 x2, 160 x1. lets say next week I think I can get 155 x3. Should I do something like 125 x3, 135 x3, 140 x3, 145 x3, 150 x3 or 135 x3x2, 145 x3x2 and 155 x3, or something completely different.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #115
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I have a question about the 5x3 sets. I'm only getting 2 or 3 sets before I hit a pr. SHould I make the distance between sets smaller or do a few sets at the same weight before trying for a pr?

I C&P for 135 x3, 145 x 3, 150 x3 (pr) 155 x2, 160 x1. lets say next week I think I can get 155 x3. Should I do something like 125 x3, 135 x3, 140 x3, 145 x3, 150 x3 or 135 x3x2, 145 x3x2 and 155 x3, or something completely different.
James, the PB set is the stimulus we are looking for. Just do the buildup sets you need to get to your goal set.

Personally, I found that I needed to step my back squats up in moderate chunks to get to a 3 or 5 rep PB set. No chance of hitting a PB on my second or third set. On the flip side I'm unlikely to get a PB set if I do too many build up sets on my dead. Things go even quicker with my press.

Bit of a trade off between being ready for the "OMG it's heavy" and not being too tired from your build up sets. If you get it right then you will be able to sneak up another increment next week.

Also, the more sets you throw in at or near your PB the more drains on recovery you will experience.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #116
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Gotcha, I thought the PB was the main goal, but I wasn't sure. SO you could look at the sets as "no more than" as opposed to "do this many"?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #117
John Arthur Spear

Profile:

Sorry if I'm missing this somewhere, but could somebody provide a little more clarification on the structure of the introductory cycle. The example in the CFSB article is confusing me somewhat. For example, it says for week 1: one rep scheme of Deadlifts and Press. I'm assuming that means only do a 3x5 or 5x3 for both exercises, but are we supposed to do anything else that first week (back squats, front squats, metcons, etc)? For week 2 it says Deadlifts, Press, Back Squats. Is this also one rep scheme (i.e. 3x5 or 5x3 and no high rep sets)? If someone could briefly lay out what the intro cycle would look like I would appreciate it. I'm willing to jump right into the full up program as I'm an intermediate/advanced CFer, but it seems like the comments are saying it's still better to do an intro cycle so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:35 AM   #118
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arthur Spear View Post
Sorry if I'm missing this somewhere, but could somebody provide a little more clarification on the structure of the introductory cycle. The example in the CFSB article is confusing me somewhat. For example, it says for week 1: one rep scheme of Deadlifts and Press. I'm assuming that means only do a 3x5 or 5x3 for both exercises, but are we supposed to do anything else that first week (back squats, front squats, metcons, etc)? For week 2 it says Deadlifts, Press, Back Squats. Is this also one rep scheme (i.e. 3x5 or 5x3 and no high rep sets)? If someone could briefly lay out what the intro cycle would look like I would appreciate it. I'm willing to jump right into the full up program as I'm an intermediate/advanced CFer, but it seems like the comments are saying it's still better to do an intro cycle so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks in advance.
Yeah, when they say one rep scheme it's just the low rep stuff, then you add the high rep stuff later (both rep schemes). If you follow the suggested ramp up in the article you will start with one or two lifts only (I don't have it to hand) on top of your CF training adjusted to fit. After a couple of weeks the four lifts will be in place and then you start adding in the high rep stuff.

That's broad brush but hopefully it will help get what you need from the article.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-22-2009, 05:27 AM   #119
Michael Henry

Profile:

As far as the heavy metcons, should we strive for those every time or are those just methods to get longer metcons down to the suggested time frame? Of the 5 metcons I would do in a given week, its it okay for 2 or 3 to be heavy and the other 2 or 3 just abbreviated WODS or will I not get the full effect of the program? I guess obviously anytime you're moving heavier weights it's better, but I tend to be a little more conservative in the approach in regards to I'd rather ramp it up than have to tone it back due to overtraining and miss workouts.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #120
John Arthur Spear

Profile:

Kempie, thanks for the reply. So just to clarify I would not do the low rep squats on Monday of my first intro week, but would still do the 15 min or less Metcon and the skill/gym work. Tuesday would be the low rep Deadlift and the 10 min Metcon and gym/skill work? Wed is rest. Thursday is just the 20 min Metcon and skill work. Friday is no front squats but still the 10 min Metcon. And Saturday would be just the low rep scheme presses and max 20 min Metcon. Although it doesn't specify, I assume week 2 would be the same with just the low rep scheme for Deadlift, Press, and Back Squat. Now, in week 3 of the intro phase it says do both schemes of Press, Back Squat, and Front Squat. Is this a typo, because I don't see two rep schemes listed for the Front Squat (only the high rep Back Squats are on the Front Squat day)? Sorry for the excessive questions, but I just want to make sure I'm tracking properly and not overdoing anything.