CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: paleo question: dried fruits and nuts

I prefer to eat 60 almonds in a few minutes....

(reasons I don't like the Zone.... )
Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
Taylor H Rogers

Profile:

alright, i'll try to limit myself then. thanks for the input!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
Miguel Koropecky

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: paleo question: dried fruits and nuts

I understand two things, I am probably very late in this convo and crossfit brings a somewhat militant approach to exercise and eating. I have been doing cross fit 2-3 times per week (since Feb. 2009, started 2009 at 181lbs, 5 ft 8 inches tall) mixed with surfing and other sports. I had lost about 10 lbs (down to 171 lbs, still 5 ft. 8inches tall) from Feb.-Sept. 2009 and eating a pretty healthy diet (probably 3/5 meals would have been considered Paleo). Starting on Sept. 28, I went full on Paleo for the month of October and as of today I am 161 lbs.
The reason for my post is not to boast my paleo success but to provide some perspective on the diet itself. This post is for the beginner/ first time paleo dieter. I didn't limit myself in the amount of any foods, i ate almonds to fill up between meals and after dinner, I ate carton egg whites everyday and had olive oil in my dinner most days and even in my lunch. I ate dried fruit and regular fruit pretty much every day. I even ate buffalo wings with ranch sauce on a couple occasions. I would say the key was only taking the inch instead of the yard.
However, I did stay totally true to the idea of no bread, no rice, no noodles, no dairy and no starchy foods (potatoes, beans, cheeses ect..). I have been drinking my coffee black. My staple foods during this month were spinach, broccoli, salmon, almonds, tomatoes, squash, asparagus, chicken, steak (1-3 times/ week), cucumbers, watered down sports drinks, mushrooms, turkey bacon and natural fruit bars.
Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that the diet is not a regimental list of yes and no, its about eating food with expiration dates, going to the grocery store 2-3 times per week and committing yourself to the foundation of the diet and if you need to, only taking the inch.

A little about myself, I work a 45-50 hour work week. I gain weight when I don't exercise; I gain weight when I eat crap. I exercise 4-6 times/week and now I am pounding my chest .

Hope this helps.

Here are a few of my staple meals:

Breakfast:
1/2 Cup of egg whites out of the carton
3 strips of turkey bacon,
1/5 of an avocado
Safeway Select Chipotle Salsa

Lunch:
Subway Salad
All spinach
Roasted Chicken
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
a little oil, vinegar, salt and pepper

Dinner
Fat free chicken with a reasonably healthy sauce/ Rotisserie Chicken/ Salmon with salmons seasoning
Broccoli and/or asparagus

Desserts:
Dried Mangos or Apricots
Almonds
All natural Strawberry fruit bars.

Snacks:
Banana and organic peanut butter
Apples and organic peanut butter
Seeds, almonds and dried fruit.

Key Words: Beginner Paleo Diet, starting a paleo diet, results of the paleo diet, easy paleo recipes, paleo snacks, paleo desserts.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

I have to agree with Miguel here. If you are just starting Paleo I wouldn't worry about quantities right now. I would eat about a portion of meat the size of your hand and fill the rest of your plate with green veggies along with a handful of nuts or olive oil for the veggies. You're already making a huge change to your diet that will take some getting used to. Just try the clean eating idea for a while and see how that works for you, then later if your ready for the next step you can concern yourself with portions (Zone).

I would steer away from the dried fruit because of the sugar and I would think that raw fruits would be more filling due to their water weight, but if it satisfies a sweet tooth that would otherwise lead to oreos and cake then do it.

Big thing when starting is to not get too caught up in EVERY little detail. Do they matter? Yes, or they wouldn't be details, but you don't want to let that stop you from making a solid initial try. Good luck, you're going to love it.