CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #51
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Re: 1st post, 1st time rhabdo.

Josh, it's a good thing you were able to make an honest self-assessment of the problem after it happened. That will probably save you from doing it again.

I have not been to a level 1 cert, but I am curious what kind of attention rhabdo recieves. Specifically, does the danger which accompanies loaded eccentric movement, (jumping pullups and GHD situps in particular) get mentioned. I don't know if the certs have any equivalent of BOLD FACE, MUST KNOW MATERIAL, but this would be a worthwhile addition to the program.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #52
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Hello Ryan,

I am getting ready to attend a Level-1 Cert in about a month. It is my understanding that there is significant attention given to Rhabdomyolysis at the cert, and other exercise-related maladies which can surface, should trainers (and their trainees) not be aware.

One of the suggest reading materials prior to attending an L-1 Cert is "The Kiiler Workout" (CF Journal) which specifically addresses Rhabdo. It is our duty as potential trainers and current CFers, to do our best to know our clients, or if we do CF with family or friends, do our best to ensure each person knows what they're getting into and the potential for injury. While this may not always be possible, we've gotta try.....Perhaps I'm a little more fortunate with all this in that I'm really careful due to my "slightly advanced" age and the potential toward injury with "old farts".
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #53
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Hey Stephen! I am aware of the CFJ articles, but my concern with the info they present is that I do not think it is specific enough. The general tone is "hey, take it easy, this stuff can kill you." That's good, but what's even better is, "hey take it easy, and even if you push it hard, DEFINATELY don't overdo loaded eccentric movements." It's sort of like the difference between warning against overdoing alcohol and specifically stating that moonshine will blind you...one just gets a bit more attention and therefore, compliance. Experience on the boards shows a trend of GHD situps then kipped/jumped pullups as leading causes of rhabdo. Specific mention of these might help reduce cases in the future.

Let me know what you think of the cert!
Old 01-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #54
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply and information. I am not sure of the specifics pointed out by each affiliate with respect to Rhabdo and its various anatomical affectations with its sufferers. I do know that several affiliates now require a minimum of three or four training sessions before turning clients loose on their own to do the WODs with them, or perhaps just even to do an individual workout. One affiliate I've visited has been extremely careful to ensure that I and others who have attended there understand the risks.

And you are correct, GHD situps and pull-ups tend to be the worst offenders. Luckily, the number of sufferers tends to be somewhat minimized by those of us who don't possess the strength to get themselves into trouble.

I'll let you know how the cert goes. Really looking forward to it!