CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Amber Mathwig

Profile:
No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

As evidenced by the “No Sugars/No Grains” challenges on the competitions thread, many people have found a little bit of support and accountability to go a long way in helping them to live a healthier lifestyle.

Paleo, Hunter-Gatherer, Caveman, Stoneage, Neanderthin….call it what you like. I refer to my diet as paleo, but mostly think of it as “This works for me!”

Diet, as defined by Webster’s, 1: Food and drink regularly provided or consumed, 2: habitual nourishment, 3: the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason 4: A regimen of eating and drinking sparingly to reduce one’s weight.

I don’t think the general public, or even myself a couple years ago, would ever think of the first 3 definitions given. But, I believe that most of us are aiming for all 4! It is for this reason we make such a focus on the way we eat and believe in it so much.

No sugars/no grains can be difficult. Society, family, work, friends….all put pressures on us in various forms that affect our chosen diets. We even put pressures on ourselves.

So here it is – the No Sugar/No Grains 2009 support group! Unless someone can come up with a catchier thread name…….introduce yourself, the extent to what you take your diet, the problems you face. Check in often to offer up or ask for support and ideas.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Amber Mathwig

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

I started Paleo in August 2008. Grains, although somewhat difficult for me to initially give up, were a non-issue after realizing how much better my body/mind felt/functioned on a regular basis without them. Now, the ingestion of most grains will make me feel like doo-doo almost immediately (and put me to sleep at my desk!). I also do not consume dairy on a regular basis, but love good cheeses for special occasions (ok, and ice cream). My biggest personal issue is sweets, especially chocolate and ice cream. I don’t necessarily want to stop eating these things, but would like to be able to have more control over the amount I ingest when I do eat them. I’d also like to change some of my negative thinking towards food; i.e. terminology such as “Cheat Days.” I’m going to stop using that phrase.

Looking forward to meeting you all! Happy New Years from Baghdad! Best of wishes to you and yours, whatever your hopes, dreams and Crossfit goals may be.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
John Penner

Profile:

12/31/08 10:00 p.m. 3 little kids watching a movie, 1 older daughter @ her freinds house & my wife finally getting some down time after family decided to go to bed early on New Years.

Amber, what are you working on? No Grains/No Sugars or Paleo? same "rules" as last month or full Paleo? Not important but just curious

I'm in more than ever. 1/1/09

It is like CRACK. need to really leave it behind me. 1 week of eating like this & I can see a difference in mirror. But my "crack" addiction keeps winning, until now.

the first week will be hard but next month when I do a "cheat"(birthday ect.) the hard part will be taking JUST 1 serving & quiting right there untill 3-4 weeks later when something else comes up.

anyway, if I go strong (not perfect but really good) for 6+ months I can maybe get away from this crazy eating I've been doing for a few years.

I felt awesome right before Turkey day (lean & energized)

hope to be back there in 2-3 wks.

Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
Tim Crawford

Profile:

My name is Tim....and I'm addicted to grans and sugar. All together now, "Hi, Tim!"

I am starting this year by trying to cut out the grains and sugars. I will be starting my own log, because I figure the best way to do this is to be accountable to the masses. I had three eggs (actually egg beaters because I'm trying to use the last bit up) cooked with olive oil, with some Basil and tomatoes thrown in, and three pieces of bacon with a large glass of milk. I will eat some yogurt and almonds here in about a half hour.

Does the sugar-free cookies made with Splenda count?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

I think I'd rather do Murph daily for 6 months than give up my sugar/grains. But I am ready for a change, and my gains in Crossfit will suffer if I don't adjust my diet. Soooooo....I'm in. I'm going to try the Paleo w/3 cheat meals a week. Hopefully that'll keep me motivated and on track. I thought about suffering in silence, but I think the accountability of the board will be helpful and encouraging. I want to be in the best shape of my life by the end of 2009!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crawford View Post
My name is Tim....and I'm addicted to grans and sugar.
Hi Tim! my name is Ted and i am also an addict.

amber i am glad you started this thread! i did really well on the first grain/sugar challenge, but the last one got the best of me. I could blame it on the holidays, but i don't believe in excuses. so i am ready to refocus and get back on track. i am getting ready for a tri in 6 weeks and i know that i need to have the proper fuel in my body for the intense training.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Jennifer Woods

Profile:

Hi all!
I am so addicted to sugar. I am ready to clean up my diet and keep on track through this awesome support thread. My diet is pretty clean except on the weekends. Then I loose all control which just cancels out all the hard work I did during the week.
I am so glad I found the boards with all the support to keep me on track. I am excited to see results. Also, if I cheat, my BFF and trainer, Melissa Byers will kick my butt!!
So, I am going to do the no sugars/no grains for 30 days starting 01/02/09 and hopefully this will be the start to a better diet/lifestyle.
Good luck to all!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Hey everyone!! Happy New Year!!

I started following Paleo on October 26th, 2008 thanks to CrossFit Tribe's Paleo Potluck that totally got me hooked! I have had many cheat days.. Then I did Zone for 2 weeks and decided a vigorous restriction on my caloric intake wasn't helping me (5' tall / 115 lbs / work out at the least 3x/week / Pescetarian!). Ever since I stopped Zone (2 weeks ago) I feel like I've had a free-for-all eating spree! It's crazy. I want to stop! I love the way I feel without grains and sugars weighing me down.
Stopping processed food intake and grains I immediately lost like 5 lbs of weight and my body definitely has redefined (whatever fat I lost I've DEFINITELY gained in muscle -- WOO!).
Lately I've been skimping on the diet though. I love chocolate. Love it. I will never deny it to myself. However. Dark chocolate is so much better than milk. BUT -- milk is so available to me right now... so I just eat that. Or salted cashews which are more available than raw. NO NO. I want to be back to my raw foods, organics, simple ways! I'm not saying I was chowing down on a hoagie or a belgium waffle (no matter how tempting that is) but I was settling for whatever was convenient. (Raw sugar at Starbucks, Soymilk, milk chocolate, salted nuts, etc.)
So one of my many New Years Resolutions is to eat strictly Paleo to redefine the way eat and back to the way I was eating not even 3 weeks ago. I just feel better when I do that. Not going to say that I wont get a cheat day (Fridays for me!) or treat myself to my classic Chai with raw sugar and soy on occasion... but... you all know what I mean hah.

So today! I've started strong. (ALSO I REALLY WANT TO SLEEP A LOT MORE!!) with a brunch, I guess (hah I was babysitting till 4am!! AHH!) with 2 tspn EVOO, 2 eggs, a pear and a few frozen blackberries. My goal is to not measure my life away but to make sure my fat and protein intake in each meal is more than that of the carbs. Doing Zone for 2 weeks really helped me understand what I can and cannot do to my body.

Wow, I'm getting carried away! I LOVE THIS THREAD! Happy New Year, everyone

Make 2009 the best year EVER!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Scott Clark

Profile:

I'm in on the no sugar part. I'm not going totally renegade and eliminate all grains, but I will cut out all gluten only because I suspect that it is the source of some stomach pains I've been having after eating them. Weird, because I'v eaten oatmeal nearly every day for at least 3 years, but lately I've been getting a sharp pain in the stomach after eating oats/WW bread.

Rice and potatoes stay, PWO of course.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Hello, hello, hello and to all!

John - I'm working on paleo with intuitive eating (allowing myself true cravings and not ignoring my hunger). So, in line with my intuitive eating, there are no more "rules" per se for me. Just trying to change my mind-set towards food - i.e. if I see a piece of bread, I'm not going to tell myself, "I can't have that because it's not paleo." Instead, it's "Bread makes me feel icky and when I feel icky I don't work out and try to start fights with BF."

Of course, breads aren't my problem. So it's more like if I go in the breakroom and someone just filled up the candy box - I know I'm not going to eat the Starbursts/Laffy Taffy type candies and the majority of the chocolates are out also simply because they won't satisfy me as I really don't enjoy them. But if there is dark chocolate in there, I'm going to savor a couple pieces.

Today, I received a care package from my BFF of 26 years and in it was a large container of delicious homemade holiday treats, recipes that have been in her family forever! You can bet I'm going to enjoy them, but will also try (really, I will try, but they are so good) to share at least half the container. I balanced the first few I ate with a large amount of chicken wings, some ribs and working on the green beans right now.