CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
Ryan Lynch

Profile:
Re: Anabolic Diet - My Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Frazier View Post
Ryan,

What made you decide to try AD verses Zone?
Good question. I started with P90X almost three months ago. Started out good but the 1hr long workouts were leaving me unmotivated to continue. The P90X diet looks to be a zone like spin off where it uses blocks of food items to construct your daily meal from. (i.e. you get 7 proteins, 3 carbs, 3 fats, etc and each category you can pick an item that represents 1 block, like 3 oz of ham counts as 1 protein).

Anyway, it worked for me for awhile, but I stopped making progress. And by that I mean I started doing less and less of the endless cardio routines. It was wearing me down emotionally and mentally. Did I mention it's 1hr of intensity every day?

So when I cut back on the exercise, the gains/progress stopped. This was of course frustrating. Now I'd always heard form all the pro's (bodybuilders/nutrition experts) that fitness/weight loss is 90% diet. So this got me thinking, if all the so called experts are saying it's all diet, but then I'm putting in 90% of my effort into exercise to get results, either they are lying or I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle. If it's 90% diet to get results, then I should be able to eat my way to health and fitness (to a point of course) and exercise should be a small component.

So the research began. I started with what I had and hit up the bodybuilding forum's to learn more. Got some good advice, learned new things, etc. Tweaked my diet quit a bit which got me almost to the diet I was on before the AD. Anyway, one of the guys suggested I do HIIT as my cardio, so I gave that a shot and started researching HIIT more, which of course lead me to Crossfit. So here I am now.

Now Crossfit got me looking at the paleo diet since I was very close to it at this point. From all the research I've read, I shied away from the Zone because of the carbs. From looking at the basics of it, it looks like the standard 50c/35p/15f approach. From my research, fat loss being my main goal and retaining as much muscle in that process as possible, the AD seems the best choice at this point in time.

Once I reach my goal, I should be in significantly better physical condition because of the Crossfit and I anticipate my energy requirements going up significantly, so at that time, I'll re-evaluate the zone/paleo diets as my needs and goals change.

-Ryan
Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Frazier View Post
Ryan,

Good deal on trying the AD. I've been following it since the beginning of the year and posted my 6 month results on our blog here: http://www.crossfitclarksville.com/2...-crossfit.html I'll keep an eye out for your updates on here. What made you decide to try AD verses Zone?
From your blog:

<snip>
In order to follow the Zone strictly, it requires you to weigh and measure all your food so that you have the correct amount of blocks for each meal. One technique Zone followers use is to take one day and prepare all the meals ahead of time for the upcoming week.
</snip>

Bingo! I hate to cook. I can pretty much eat whatever I want on the AD, cheese, ribs, burgers sans the loaf, bacon, eggs. I love cheese!!! And anything I'm craving, I just have to wait a few days and I pig out till my hearts content.

Now, I've done my research and I'm planning on eating clean carbs as much as I can and avoiding Mr. Hot Fudge Sunday, but at least I can on the AD if I choose to. We'll see how week two of indoc goes before I put the rest of my foot in my mouth...hehe.

Anyway, I am logging all my food on fitday and trying to maintain a calorie goal and nutrient ratio as well as eat as clean as I can.

-Ryan
Old 08-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Lynch View Post

Now Crossfit got me looking at the paleo diet since I was very close to it at this point. From all the research I've read, I shied away from the Zone because of the carbs. From looking at the basics of it, it looks like the standard 50c/35p/15f approach. From my research, fat loss being my main goal and retaining as much muscle in that process as possible, the AD seems the best choice at this point in time.

-Ryan
I'm a little confused by this part. Why do you see Paleo as being close to the standard 50c/35p/15f?

Just curious.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #14
Rick Frazier

Profile:

Derek,

Quote:
I stopped basically based on programming. Even after the induction phase, I was doing a lot of glycolytic work and just couldn't hack it. I felt like death often and actually regressed on my Filthy Fifty and Fran.
Interesting. Pretty much the opposite happened for the wife and I, gaining a lot more energy than before the AD. Of course my metcon WODs suck from the word go regardless of diet.

Ryan,

Quote:
Bingo! I hate to cook. I can pretty much eat whatever I want on the AD, cheese, ribs, burgers sans the loaf, bacon, eggs. I love cheese!!! And anything I'm craving, I just have to wait a few days and I pig out till my hearts content.
Yea, this was the big attraction for us as well. Plus I've spent the last 16 months overseas, so I'm forced to eat what is served in the dining facility and when I was home I was definitely gonna get my Starbucks fix and movie junk food splurges!

Good luck and again, looking forward to reading about your progress.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #15
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I'm a little confused by this part. Why do you see Paleo as being close to the standard 50c/35p/15f?

Just curious.
Sorry, that was a bit a confusing. I meant I looked at the paleo diet, and found that the one I was one was fairly close to it, just needed to replace some of the carbs I was eating with more more natural sources, like fruits and vegetables.

However I found the Zone diet to be more of the standard approach, not the paleo. Sorry for the confusion.

On a side, note, this is day 7 of indoc, feeling much better, well hydrated today, yet down another half a pound...I ate a ton yesterday (but still missed my 2400 cal goal by 400 though) and I drank nearly 2 gallons of water. Need to get more fiber in the diet...

-Ryan
Old 08-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #16
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Thanks for helping me be "un-confused" Ryan. Good job on the hydration. Have you hit the "carb bonk" yet? From my understanding it's usually a 1 or 2 day thing... mine only lasted a day or so before my energy outside of WODs sky rocketed.

this link (not w/f/s) has some good stuff on the AD. I think a lot of the good stuff started around page 15 or so. It's over 350 pages long now, but you may find some good stuff in there if you've got some time to kill.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Sure thing.

The first week I felt sick all the time. Bad nausea and headaches. My workouts suffered about mid week on, but the rest of the time, my energy is through the roof. I feel incredible right now, just don't ask me to do anything...

I've been reading that thread on T-nation. It's been very interesting. I'm only on page 16 though, so lots more to go through.

Now that I'm rehydrated, I feel great. I'm really going to have to keep up on the water.

-Ryan
Old 08-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Have you hit the "carb bonk" yet? From my understanding it's usually a 1 or 2 day thing... mine only lasted a day or so before my energy outside of WODs sky rocketed.
Not yet. I felt pretty week wed/thurs, but nothing I would call a bonk. I was already pretty low on carbs (about 100g a day) for several weeks prior, so I may be fine. I'm still planning on it hitting me this week though. Hopefully not.

Then Saturday morning it's PANCAKES!!! (yes, I know not the best carbs, but it's all I can think about right now)

-Ryan
Old 08-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #19
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Yeah, I think that for a lot of people, the "bonk" happens when they're on a more standard bodybuilding type of approach with upwards of 300grams of carbs/day. Once people have adjusted to 100-150 grams of carbs/day or less then the 30 grams/day is much easier to deal with.

Just by way of taking in 10-20% of the total carbs they were on their calories will plummet and induce pretty rapid fat loss, along with the improved fat oxidation resulting from glycogen depletion (if I understand this concept correctly).
Old 08-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #20
David Long

Profile:

I have read some about Anabolic Diet but have some basic misunderstandings:

1) is it sustainable?Most BB diets are cyclic. I want something long term

2) support CF wods? With IF I stayed strong, but was getting gassed on met-cons. I want more strength, but need to be able to hang with met con.