CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #21
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Blair's I should have a log since I don't like logs - log.

W/U

HS for 50s

3 back levers from candle, 3 from basket

L pullups: 7-6-4 with ample rest

forgot to do cranks and skin the cats

DrillsandSkills WOD:

Thrusters ( rx'd 20lb ) did 2x25 DB
HSPU ( did HSPU with feet on bar using leg assist )
Hanging leg lifts

15-7-12
14-7-10
14-7-10

Should do something like FGB or Cindy tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #22
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Blair's I should have a log since I don't like logs log.

Feeling sore and out of it with a headache. I think I'm gonna do a workout later with maybe some ring work and gymnastics and consider Cindy or Half Cindy or a run after getting through the warmup and some basics.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #23
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Been awhile since I last put an entry in. Went through some rough CNS burn out I think so I'm switching to a 3-1, 2-1 schedule. Proposing:

Take friday off, work out saturday and sunday, monday, take tuesday off, work out wednesday and thursday. This works out pretty well, but if I hang out with my friends on saturday night that can get skipped. I still train for a few hours so that and riding the bike 15+ miles is something at least.

I did a few workouts in there, but I can't remember what and mostly there was CNS burnout and crappy sleep due to life crap.

Today, went to CrossFit Sac and did some CrossFitTotal practice. Not a true CFT.

warm up, screw around. False grip sucks, but sucky knurl rings anyways. At least those. Bunch of elite rings elsewhere. Can climb a rope about halfway up without legs, probably can climb a rope a few times with legs. Didn't feel too comfortable going all the way up without because I was starting to go through the low ceiling into the above space. Jamie probably wouldn't have cared.

Did some back levers, handstand walking, pistols, crap like that.

~ Back squat

135x5. Just warming up
225x3. Don't feel like having to rack 25 or 35s and rerack. Starting to hurt. Woo-ee.
241x3. Ouch, this was pain. Some breakdown of form as nearing max. Hesistant to put much more since it isn't a squat cage. Also, it's been 2 months since any weights work really so not used to being squished.

Calculated 1 rep is 260-270. Sounds about right.

~ Standing Overhead Shoulder Press.

Was going to start with 135 and decided wtf was I thinking.

88x5 Ez-peezy as my boys like to say.
108x3. Still not bad.
Tried 128, nothing doing.
118x2, failed past halfway on 3rd.

Calculated one rep is 120ish. Man, I hope I can get over 130 or 140.

~Deadlift; wtf was I thinking.

133x5. Ooh-ee, I don't I ever want to see video of me doing a DL. I just look funny
221x3. Not bad, grip starting to come apart on coming down on third rep.
287x3. Ouch, actually this still wasn't as bad as having that damn weight squish me. Had to use a mixed grip. Need to remember to bring something for legs.

Calculated one rep 305-315. Not bad considering I haven't Dead in over 2 months. Much better than I would have thought compared to Back Squat.

Calculated Total 695. I could make 700 I think, maybe low 7's to 750 if dialed in. Especially gaining on Shoulder press and Back Squat.

Practiced horizontal kipping on pipe. Ehh, my kip so sucks. Haven't practiced this in a long time. I should probably try just a frog kip.

Played around with some KB swings to head height, back extensions, glute ham situps, and ring dips. Not ready for muscle-up.

I'm ****ed if there are kipping pulls, muscle-ups. Not enough practice or strength.

Also warmed up on a rower. Man, I get bored easy on those things.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #24
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

So it's look I'm just going to the games to cheerlead. While it looked like I might compete an empty spot, it's probably better in the long run. I had a lot of dreams, recurring, last night about it as well explaining it to my dad and him being there. Stranglely until I woke up, I swore was waking up every 2 hours or so.

So, I will probably go Oly lift tonight at CF Sac or go to a gymnastics class seeing as I don't think I have enough time to do both since I have to something at 6pm.

Friday is usually my day off so I can train well on Saturday morning, but I might be skipping that if I go to the Games with friends.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #25
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

So, I will be going off to the games. Lookout dry heaves here I come. Actually, if at all, I hope for dry heaves...hurts a bit more but no acid and mess to clean.

275, 5 reps and 5 sets is what has me concerned. Hopefully my adrenaline will push me throw as I elected to not scale it. When in doubt, be dumb I say.

Sunday will probably be something I've never done.

It's been damn tough to sleep lately. Just feel wired going to bed. Been eating pretty good. Hmm, I feel I need to hydrate right now, lips dry.

Hopefully, I can take some video and pics. I intend to be the shortest male competitor out there, possibly shortest competitors out there.

#1 Hobbit here I come!
Old 07-08-2008, 04:43 AM   #26
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Saturday, July 5th 1120, 1520, 1740 6:22, DNF, 6:22

What a day. I got probably about 4 hours+ of sleep on Friday night at the room because I just couldn't fall asleep again. Melatonin didn't do a thing.

Honestly, we didn't need to wake up so damn early and be there before 7. We could have been there just before 8 both days and it would have been no big deal. Actually, I got there after 8 because the guy who drove took some wacky GPS directions. I hate those damn things compared to google maps.

So I had late starts throughout the day. I thought about trying to nap before and between but it didn't happen. In fact, I warmed up early and felt pretty good.

265 still felt slow and heavy to me. I actually thought the burpees would be easy. I half assed them as much as I could to not waste energy for the DL. Which is ironic since I'm usually a burpee fascist.

I had at the last moment thought about trying for 225, something in the middle of the women and men's and decided to just **** it and go and see if I failed. I actually surprised myself that they weren't that bad at all. Burpee-ing was a f'n nightmare despite my halfassed burpees. I had a pretty weak jump toward the end.

Man, did my back feel messed up for hours after that till Frannish. I practiced kipping early in the morning and before going. I was going with a mild undergrip kipping pullup. I can't swing to wildly in undergrip, but I can pull to my chest a bit easier. I didn't think about going wider in the hands and popping the chest open at an angle. Honestly, my pullups are very poor nowadays and the kipping were worse. I tried loosening my back with whatever I could, including buying a back massager ball from the ART booth, hanging from the bar, twisting on the ground, whatever. It was tight in my lower back and I was worried it would cause problems with the thrusters.

I started slowing down around 15 and that was half way through the Fran time limit. I knew at that point I was not going to finish. In fact, the thrusters were a lot tougher on me than I was figuring though it's been a long time since I've done 95 pound thrusters (5-8 months ). I barely was able to finish the first 21 and did 9-6 in the second round. I made 2 pullups before time ran out. Lame, I had thought I could finish with it, especially kipping. However, I cannot do Fran as rx'd with pullups right now as I can't kip at home and do pullups with my feet on a block like an L. In fact, my grip failed as I couldn't even just hang, much less swing and kip

That run was an absolute *****. As I was getting to the top, I could much less step than run. I felt like my quads were locking up besides my footing was so crappy. This is probably due to the fact I'm not used to running on unsmooth surfaces. I had to go slow on the downhill because my legs were thrashed and I was concerned about giving out. I did sprint pretty much the last leg, but that was easy. I honestly wasn't warming up before the run much because I didn't know it was going to be that hard. I ended up pretty much failing leg strength wise so it didn't matter.

I only wonder if my strategy of deadlifting first killed my Fran because my grip failed during the first set of pullups besides making my back really sore. I maybe could have sacrificed time on the DL/burpees by doing it 2nd since I had nearly 6 minutes to spare. Of course, that could have destroyed me too much for the DL/burpees.

I did beat my friend doing DL/burpees but it was his last event and he was tired and sleep deprived more than I was feeling starting the day. In fact, I even beat the football guy and I'm thinking it's because Burpees for him require so much energy spent.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #27
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Sunday 940

Man, oh man, I felt sore upon waking. Another 4 hours + of sleep due to the fact we didn't get to the hotel till 11pm after a crappy diner dinner ( which I made the best of by eating 5 eggs and the salad bar since they cooked my steak to death...I should have had the turkey sandwich )

Upon warmup, I still felt weak. I could only pull 185 barely from the floor, but couldn't on the first attempt. I couldn't high pull 135 and was thinking how the hell am I going to squat clean 155?!

I didn't even want to really compete at a scaled WOD but Roger told me I had to and picked 105 based on what he saw. I felt with the thrusters killing my quads and deads killing my back, hams, and butt I couldn't come off the floor with any power.

Honestly, I didn't give it my all on the C&J@105. I just wanted to finish the 30 in under 15 and call it good. In fact I pist off my friends because I was squat jerking too low when I tried doing a squat jerk since I never really trained that. I didn't have to split jerk very low and I'm not sure I could have anyway. Jerking 105 was real easy but more so cleaning it was rough. I missed a few too low and just thrustered it.

Fun stuff, and I'd like to try that again fresh just to see what will happen this week.

I was envisioning being destroyed for a couple of days but I'm going to work out tomorrow night.

In fact, I just need to order my rings from Sommer and I found 2 mushrooms for just over a hundred bucks. I'm thinking I could buy a nice pommel buck but might go cheap for now. In fact, I really want to spend some of the money I have on some weights now or pay for a month or two at CrossFitSac as I really want to go below 155.

In fact I also got a picture with Coach RippeToe after talking to him for a bit. That man is built like a gorilla meets lumberjack.

Roger also commented I dead Oly style which makes sense since I felt it was pretty upright like my backsquat. I'd like to be able to change to Rip style so I could also train for more posterior chain and heavier weight. Not really a big thing honestly. It's not like my numbers are complete ****e.

It was fun watching the ladies do the C&J since their technique was so good, especially Kallista's. I had figured Josh Everett was going to best Speal but got Pat Barber confused with Josh while watching them but did notice the guy who won because he was fast as all get out. Just like Caitie Manner who won.

I also ended up helping in the gymnastics challenge at the end besides our tape grips. The ART booth was pretty neat but I didn't buy the thigh roller since I figured the ball could do the same movement. Man, it worked in some awesome places better than a foam roller.

I almost thought I lost my CrossFitGames shirt but found it when we left in the car.

Mmm, tritip and those strawberries. Those shakes weren't bad either. It was pretty cool to meet more of the names but I didn't end up talking to Coach B or Tony Blauer.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #28
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

7-9

What started as some general biking to go to the store ended me up at SkyHigh in Rancho Cordova. Basically an arena of connected trampolines. I've seen them awhile back and one of my friends wanted to go but none of the others did. Interesting for 9 bucks but a bit crowded for my tastes besides the youngn's and I'm sure the music would drive my friends up the wall.

Went over basic tramp progressions to start with and precluded with flips and handsprings. Most of their tramps are a bit small and many people jump from tramp to tramp or run across. There are 2 sections that are mini tumbl-trak but are too narrow for my comfort to practice side flips on. That and when the yahoos end up rolling or running into my area. Yes, I'm territorial as all get out.

Did that for an hour. I had thought about staying more, but honestly I was getting bored. After going through my skill set and not moving on to side summis, I was done so headed home.

So >1 hour of tramp work and probably 7 miles of bike was my workout besides the heavy pack of groceries from the store. There was a bit of foam rolling and ART ball work besides hanging from a bar and support work or pullups just like the day before.

Looks like I have found a lead on 300 pounds of weight and an Oly bar off CL. Woohoo. I could get the squat rack but I don't see there is any place to put it but outside. I think I will make some cement bucket squat stands and just lift outside. Kind of a pain in the *** but oh well. Bought some collars, a stopwatch, and a yoga ball for ****s and giggles ( I use it to stretch out my back some ). Eventually I'll need probably 2 more 45's, and maybe 2 after that and something like a few more 25's and 35's. Squat rack being 300 bucks is just too expensive. I did manage to find a mushroom coming COD from Socal for around a 100 and I need to go order a pair of Sommer's rings online today since I fell asleep abruptly last night.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #29
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

So after this whole fiasco of looking to buy some weights and a squat rack or build one, I think I'm just going to join CrossFit Sacramento instead.

Upon looking at their site again, it's only 60 dollars a month for membership. I was initially thinking I'd be paying 40-80 for 1-2x a week there a month, anymore just being the unlimited at 100-150 or so. Of course, that isn't group lessons, but that's ok by me. Mainly, I go there to lift and do stuff I don't have access to. I don't row or glute ham/reverse hyper much or the rope but that's ok. I don't have anywhere to practice kipping pulls and that killed me at the Games.

This means I won't have to throw down for weights and rack ( a bargain for 300 at $265 besides buying additional weights and collars ). It still will behoove me to buy some weights to do some workouts at home like thrusters, DL/GM, etc. I also found a pretty cheap glute ham/reverse hyper, but I can save on my immediate costs and save towards them.

All I gotta do is ride the bike there which ain't bad and gets me out of the house and my cave mentality. This is a good thing. I don't get out enough as it is ( especially when I'm gymnastics coaching due to time issues and letting it take over my life ) and just stick to my friends pretty much.

On a post Games note, syrup based sodas don't hold very much appeal to me anymore. It's kinda weird. Last week, I just stopped but for a few sips because of the games and drank mostly water, natural juice or smoothies or milk. When I come back, bottled coke tastes like syrup. Root beer and coca cola made from sugar taste ok but very sweet. So I guess, I'll be switching away from the cheap stuff ( like I did with juices since pasteurized OJ is just so bleh compared to the real stuff [ however I don't notice a difference with others ]) which will mean I'll drink even less of it when I'm out and about. Perhaps from a fountain and in ice it will be different, but I'm doubtful. It seems this will screw up my love for all root beers and that is somewhat annoying. My friend has done this, switching to only micro brew root beer ( I called him a snob! ) and it baffled me. Now A&W is just so, so-so. What about good ole IBC?

So I will call them up tomorrow and ask how membership goes. Since I have some free time for this month, maybe I will go visit a few crossfits in the Bay on a day trip.

Today, I just played around with my rings, on the pullup bar and yoga ball. Yesterday and today was precluded by screwing with the computer upgrade process and trying to solve the weights and rings issue.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #30
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

7-14

15-13-11-9-7-5-3-1 HSPU and L pullups 24:29

I wanted to do this one, so did it last night.

Normally, I would do the HSPU on parallettes with legs on a height or the bar assist.

Did the first 10 consecutive, took a breather and finished the 5. Next set was 5-3-3-2 as I pretty much had killed myself doing those wall/floor HSPU. Did the next sets as a 45 degree angle HSPU on my total gym.

On set of 7, I did the L pullups in 4-3, then 3x3. On set 11, I just did pullups with my feet on the block as an assist.

Feeling it today. Figured this would be the rest route so I wouldn't take forever.

Basically, 2 of the BW exercises I've been doing in my workouts. Not always L-pullups, but generally pullups. Going to start doing lockouts at the top, middle, and near bottom in the future. Maybe I will just GTG and work regular pullups in my typical workouts. We'll see.

Tomorrow, I will probably go in to CF Sac as tonight I will either go to an adult gymnastics class or do some running.