CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #21
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: "The Neurotic Zone" or "On Counting Walnuts"

what you could do is just start with how many ever blocks (14?) and eat fat liberally. This would give you the benefits of the zone without the starvation factor.

I know they say you should go 2 weeks strict (without extra fat) but you look pretty lean so I don't think it is necessary.

I am no expert however

all I know is there is no way i am getting through lunch on 9 almonds as my fat source!
Old 04-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
Ryan Green

Profile:

To the OP: I'm rather skeptical of named diets associated with a marketing strategy, including Zone. It seems pretty obvious to me that a diet consisting of mainly vegetables, some lean meats, and a little dairy and grains is about as complicated as a healthy food plan needs to be.

If you restrict calories, you're going to lose weight, period.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #23
Christin Street

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Green View Post
To the OP: I'm rather skeptical of named diets associated with a marketing strategy, including Zone. It seems pretty obvious to me that a diet consisting of mainly vegetables, some lean meats, and a little dairy and grains is about as complicated as a healthy food plan needs to be.

If you restrict calories, you're going to lose weight, period.
Ryan, I totally agree with you and I DON'T want to lose weight so my point is that I don't think the Zone is for me...not for everybody who is Crossfitting either. I don't believe that people like Greg, Annie, Eva T, etc are strict Zoners either. That is unless they're consuming 18+ blocks a day.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #24
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrinne Haskins View Post
Yeah I've got to be honest I'm still a tad hungry on 1700 calories but it is manageable. As it stands I get hungry about every 2.75-3 hours.

I eat really clean hardly ever have any kind of bread or pasta and eat 5 meals a day with breakfast slightly larger than dinner. Most meals are in the 300 calories range which shouldn't spike the insulin and no starchy carbs/rice after 12 pm.

My sugars are exceedingly low and I think that is key. I think Barry was right on when he talked about our evolutionary diet which obviously had nothing processed and not much sugar other than from fruit in it. He also really pushed organic as much as possible which I also do.

I do a combo of HIT training, Crossfit, and weight lifting 5-6 days a week. Plus I work as a server at a large restaurant so run around 4-5x a week for god knows how many hours.

Another thing that came to mind is that all of the guys I knew that were on the diet said it seemed like a ton of food. Whereas the women (and there were far fewer of us) said it seemed way too little. We had a few women quit while the retention of the men was far better.

I must say it does seem ridiculous to me that a mostly sedentary but lean male at 149 would calculate out at 14-15 and while a heavy lifting/intensity freak at 123 16% bf would require 11.

I don't wanna live longer I WANNA EAT!
Corrine,

Sorry to hijack the thread, I am just EXACTLY in your shoes - 123 lbs, 16% bf, 5'4" (do you have a twin?) and CFJ #21 recommended 11 blocks. I was thinking WTF? So, do you really eat 17 blocks a day, and 1700 calories? I stick with 12 blocks but extra fat - big breakfast, smaller meals for the rest of the day, and my only non-paleo source is oatmeal at breakfast. pretty much zilch sugar. Anyway, I am always STARVING after lunch (huge salad with extra fat - olives, sunflower seeds, dressing, usually 2 oz chicken or tuna and 1 hard boiled egg).

Anyway, when did you make the transition to 17 blocks? How do you manage to eat so few calories on 17 blocks? I eat 12 blocks a day but when I enter my data into fitday, it calculates 2000-2200 calories. I am really interested in the caloric restriction diet b/c I want to live forever, but I hate being hungry. I notice that I get so hungry in the afternoon that I usually end up snacking on a bunch of almonds.

Oh, I crossfit usually 6 days a week and i am an avid cyclist (road, mountain, DH) and usually race at least once a week along with other training rides and just fun rides and also a few runs. I am also a crossfit trainer so, similar to your serving job, my job requires energy. So, i'm not at all sedentary.

Any advice, from anyone, would be great. Sorry to hijack the thread, but i think this is a great discussion and we could all benefit.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #25
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Rettenmayer View Post
Corrine,

Sorry to hijack the thread, I am just EXACTLY in your shoes - 123 lbs, 16% bf, 5'4" (do you have a twin?) and CFJ #21 recommended 11 blocks. I was thinking WTF? So, do you really eat 17 blocks a day, and 1700 calories? I stick with 12 blocks but extra fat - big breakfast, smaller meals for the rest of the day, and my only non-paleo source is oatmeal at breakfast. pretty much zilch sugar. Anyway, I am always STARVING after lunch (huge salad with extra fat - olives, sunflower seeds, dressing, usually 2 oz chicken or tuna and 1 hard boiled egg).

Anyway, when did you make the transition to 17 blocks? How do you manage to eat so few calories on 17 blocks? I eat 12 blocks a day but when I enter my data into fitday, it calculates 2000-2200 calories. I am really interested in the caloric restriction diet b/c I want to live forever, but I hate being hungry. I notice that I get so hungry in the afternoon that I usually end up snacking on a bunch of almonds.

Oh, I crossfit usually 6 days a week and i am an avid cyclist (road, mountain, DH) and usually race at least once a week along with other training rides and just fun rides and also a few runs. I am also a crossfit trainer so, similar to your serving job, my job requires energy. So, i'm not at all sedentary.

Any advice, from anyone, would be great. Sorry to hijack the thread, but i think this is a great discussion and we could all benefit.
Wow I would most DEFINITELY up the blocks. I'm on 12, and I'm 5' 2" and 130 (I pack it in, I'm not obese, I promise).

Christin:
Eva and everyone in Santa Cruz ARE on the zone. The key is they up the fat a ton, probably as much as 4x or 5x. Still zone proportions, but more fat to fill them up and not let them starve themselves.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #26
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Izzo View Post
Wow I would most DEFINITELY up the blocks. I'm on 12, and I'm 5' 2" and 130 (I pack it in, I'm not obese, I promise).

Christin:
Eva and everyone in Santa Cruz ARE on the zone. The key is they up the fat a ton, probably as much as 4x or 5x. Still zone proportions, but more fat to fill them up and not let them starve themselves.
Rachel,

why would you say up the blocks? you are on 12, I am on 12 and a tiny bit smaller than you even. Though maybe you are less active? It doesn't appear so though...
Old 04-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #27
Christin Street

Profile:

Not a problem on hijacking the thread. Everyone definitely may benefit from your comments. You all are convincing me that I might need to reconsider a re-try on the Zone. I failed the first time miserably.
I think after Monday's BF test I'll come to a decision. If I'm < 13 then I'll stick with my own plan. If higher then I'll Zone Out.
Thanks for everyone's comments on this thread.
Btw, Rachel: Nice Goal...OHS bwX15 ...OMG! OHS intimidates me terribly.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #28
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Quote:
Rachel,

why would you say up the blocks? you are on 12, I am on 12 and a tiny bit smaller than you even. Though maybe you are less active? It doesn't appear so though...
well i'm a ton shorter than you! but maybe that doesn't matter, i'm just always surprised at my proportions. i'm pretty active, right now I'm doing lacrosse 5x a week, o-lifting once a week, and soccer once a week, so basically 7 days of exercise.

Thanks Christin! I've gotten to body weight, and have done a couple reps there, and I've done 15 at 40 kg, so have to keep trying! I love OHS
Old 04-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #29
Corrinne Haskins

Profile:

Quote:
Corrine,

I've basically been higher in calories than this I just cut my calories 3 months ago down about 400 calories a day. So I guess every meal (5 total) is about 3.5 blocks or just 3 blocks with a snack later on in the day.

so it comes out about 150 grams of carbs a day, 120 grams of protein (which I figure is about 1 g per body lb. and 50 g of fat which turn into 17 or so blocks. I imagine I could stick with 13 or so blocks and just up the fat but eating a bunch of avocados and nuts just isn't filling and they are calorie dense. I would rather get my calories from some protein and veggies which have some nutrition in them even though I supplement with a multi, vit c and e, calcium and some EFA's.

Basically this isn't an exact science and fiddling with the calories is a good idea as I'm sure that our individual metabolisms and activity level play a huge key. I stick with the basic portions and don't over eat but if I have to add another meal in the day I will. Some days I do drop lower because I'm not as hungry and other days I'm famished so I pay attention to that as well. I work hard for the muscle I have and I don't want to lose it. I not only want it to be functional but I also like the way it looks. I don't look like a bodybuilder but more like a sprinter anyway I eat to stay lean but retain the muscle.

bottom line if you are off the carb withdrawal and still this hungry.. up your blocks a bit maybe adjust the fat down a tad and add a little more protein and veggies. Your activity is def higher than mine as a cf trainer and with the biking.

Last edited by Corrinne Haskins : 04-26-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #30
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Thanks Corrinee et al!