CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #11
Tony Sutton

Profile:
Re: "The Neurotic Zone" or "On Counting Walnuts"

You could also try the plate method which you can find on the zonediet.com website through zone diet explaned. It can help those days when you dont want to count out your almonds but anyways its a nicer way to ease yourself into the zone. I started with the plate method and sticking to foods only found in the perimeter of the store with good results (weight and performance) then i switched to more strict zone diet. If you dont want to lose weight I think most people play around with their fat intake to find a balance that works best, if that makes sense.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
Christin Street

Profile:

Wow! I started this thread and have neglected it! Great comments from all of you. Yes, Nick, what I was saying was that I can't do the Zone because it just seems a bit neurotic to me. Weird food combinations, measuring and weighing, etc. I've been lucky in that I usually eat whatever I want in moderation. The Zone has made me re-think my protein intake and lower my sugar intake. I think eventually I'll be a Zoner because I'll start pushing CF to another level and the Zone will become an inevitable choice (does that make sense?).
I'd love to keep this thread going so another other comments are welcome!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
Alex Blum

Profile:

try starting with paleo?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
Christin Street

Profile:

I have a hard time with caveman eating too because it's the 21 century. I know, I know, I'm pretty stuboorn but like I said I think the Zone/Paleo will be an obvious choice for me eventually. I'm seeing such great results with CF in just 5 short weeks. I'll get my diet straightened out in due time. Hard with kids to feed too. (Making more excuses.)
Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #15
Corrinne Haskins

Profile:

We hosted Dr. Sears in my gym 13 years ago as we were promoting the zone diet with our training package. I wasn't going to promote something I hadn't done so I began it in earnest hard core no high glycemic carbs etc. The zone was very hard for me at first for two main reasons. Namely the sugar/carb withdrawl which is not a problem so much any longer. Secondly was the blocks recommended for my height weight and activity level. It simply wasn't enough food and I still stand by this.

It was recommended that I eat 11 blocks a day at 5'4" 120 and working out intensely 4-6x times a week. Man I was always always hungry on this diet.

To this day I still follow the portion but eat about 1700 calories a day and that is restricted to lose weight. I maintain at about 2000-2200 just fine.

I know I'll live longer restricting calories but I sure won't enjoy it. but yes I had the extra energy boost and needing less sleep thing happen as well.

At first you will feel dumb weighing everything out but very quickly you begin to be able to site exactly what 4 oz of chicken looks like and what a cup of veggies comes too. It is second hand by now. Sometimes I double check it on my scale but I am almost always dead on.

I also really love thedailyplate.com for tracking food/portions and it has almost everything in the database even traderjoe's products and my BSN protein shake. It is a great free program.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #16
Corrinne Haskins

Profile:

oh yeah I eat about 17 blocks a day.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #17
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I agree with you corrine, I too am recommended a very small amount of food (probably 10 blocks only) and I simply could not live like that. I hate being hungry and feeling weak, I don't want to eat only 2oz of meat.

I agree that while I may live longer restricting my calories, I do not enjoy it.. I eat extremely well, just more than I am supposed to according to zone!
Old 04-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #18
Corrinne Haskins

Profile:

Yeah I've got to be honest I'm still a tad hungry on 1700 calories but it is manageable. As it stands I get hungry about every 2.75-3 hours.

I eat really clean hardly ever have any kind of bread or pasta and eat 5 meals a day with breakfast slightly larger than dinner. Most meals are in the 300 calories range which shouldn't spike the insulin and no starchy carbs/rice after 12 pm.

My sugars are exceedingly low and I think that is key. I think Barry was right on when he talked about our evolutionary diet which obviously had nothing processed and not much sugar other than from fruit in it. He also really pushed organic as much as possible which I also do.

I do a combo of HIT training, Crossfit, and weight lifting 5-6 days a week. Plus I work as a server at a large restaurant so run around 4-5x a week for god knows how many hours.

Another thing that came to mind is that all of the guys I knew that were on the diet said it seemed like a ton of food. Whereas the women (and there were far fewer of us) said it seemed way too little. We had a few women quit while the retention of the men was far better.

I must say it does seem ridiculous to me that a mostly sedentary but lean male at 149 would calculate out at 14-15 and while a heavy lifting/intensity freak at 123 16% bf would require 11.

I don't wanna live longer I WANNA EAT!

Last edited by Corrinne Haskins : 04-25-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #19
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I count peanuts. And olives lol.
Seriously- I tried Zone for a few days and just couldn't hack it. Then I tried again for a solid week and I found that I felt better, and the weight plateau I hit went away and the weight dropped again.
I now eat Zone proportions at each meal and cheat a few times a week. I think I'm around my block amount, but I'm not counting blocks, just proportions via that pie chart on the Daily Plate. Weight is coming off about 1lb every other week, which is great by me.
I'm sure I'd see better results if I were more strict. However, I want my pizza, office birthday cakes, etc. too.
After eating in the right proportions for about a month or so, it's just natural for me to combine my foods so I'm getting what I need for Zone. I used the CF Journal 21 for that strict week and now I have a good idea of what a block is for things I normally eat.
I'm a fan of incremental changes tho-not too much at once.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
Christin Street

Profile:

Corrine, Camile, and Laura- Thanks for the Zone advice. I'm still such a newbie (5 weeks) to CF that I'm going to have to adjust my diet later (like in a month). I was just way too hungry on the Zone. I thought to myself: "WTF?! I work so hard! Why do I have to eat like this?!"
I don't think I want to lose fat (getting a hydro fat test Mon so we'll see about that) but I do want to enhance my performance and energy level. I know the tidbits of sugar I eat during the day and wine ( I will not give that up) at night don't help with my energy levels. I feel pretty good except what haunts me, is the thought of how much better I could feel if I went on the Zone.