CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Steven Low

Profile:
Cosgrove's latest t-nation 'ah-ha' article

wfs (well as much as some scantily clad ladies are at times)
http://www.t-nation.com/article/perf...e_ahha_moments

So anyway, I was reading it and kinda really laughing the whole time. There's some stuff in here that relates to CF indirectly.

See if you can pick out what.

Overall, a good article though and probably a lot of useful information for most of you. He's one of the few T-nation writers I enjoy reading.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #2
Cal Jones

Profile:
Re: Cosgrove's latest t-nation 'ah-ha' article

Thanks for the link. That first point really opened my eyes. I've always been a poor squatter but in the past thought it was down to poor mechanics (and truth be told, I do not have the best proportions for squatting). However, it made me realise that it's more of a balance issue for me. I've always had poor balance (I've taught myself to stand on one leg for a while but have never mastered the art of riding a bicycle and I actually get stressed out if I have to walk down a flight of stairs and am unable to be next to a wall or handrail). Question is, how do I trick my brain into letting me squat lower? Even with a back squat, once I get to 40kg or so, I can't achieve parallel, let alone below - it's like I have a limiter which cuts in. This isn't a huge weight given I've a deadlift PB of 117.5kg.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Tim Luby

Profile:

I think this is the first time I've seen you start a thread, Steven. This must be some good stuff!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Thanks for the link Steven. My Ah-ha was when I was learning how to do the splits, they had us put out legs one at a time up onto a chair, parallel. So then the question was asked...if I can now bring my legs out to the side and in front at parallel one at a time, what really is stopping me from doing both at the same time?

The mind and body must work as one!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
Aaron Moburg-Jones

Profile:

Good article and one that does seem to have a lot of CF "ah ha" moments in it. The one that struck me was the interval section, mostly because I love to run. It reminded me of Good Calories, Bad Calories but Taubes actually tries to explain what Cosgrove just accepted as true after observation. The answer to Cosgrove's mystery of why intervals cause more fat loss is hormones. Intervals and strength training (realy just a form of intervals) produce a testosterone and GH release that both encourage muscle growth and tell your cells to release fat to be oxidized (I probably just murdered a hundred page analysis with a 70% correct summation). You get the point.

I wish balance were my problem in the OHS. If I lay on my back I can't pull my arms back far enough to touch the ground over my head. Oh well.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Steven Quadros

Profile:

So how, Steven, would one go about getting someone over the stabilization problems listed in the article? The obvious answer is to get them to stabilize better, but would that be through squatting and pushing the ROM further, or by strengthening abs and lower back, a combo of the two, or something completely different?

Definitely a good read, and enough to convince me to start reading that site more often.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Dennis Marshall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
So how, Steven, would one go about getting someone over the stabilization problems listed in the article? The obvious answer is to get them to stabilize better, but would that be through squatting and pushing the ROM further, or by strengthening abs and lower back, a combo of the two, or something completely different?
If you are familiar with Cook's material, he will promote teaching the deep squat from the bottom up, starting in the bottom position, unloaded. This is how we learned to squat as infants and have merely forgotten how to do it through non-functional living. There are specific drills Cook advocates to relearn the deep squat and gain the requisite mobility and stability. Hard to explain in writing but you essentially put yourself in the bottom position of the squat, lift your arms overhead and then stand up, keeping proper mechanics and posture intact.

His book "Athletic Body in Balance" is a worthwhile read.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
James Besenyei

Profile:

Cosgrove seems to be generally right on. I've read a few of his books, and enjoy his website and the articles from T-Nation. He's one of the few popular fitness authors I've never associated with gimmickry or quick fixes. In addition, he's a proponent of interval training -- albeit in a much more directly programmed way, without the variety offered by the WOD's. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
Ray Anderson

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Cosgrove's latest t-nation 'ah-ha' article

I've known Alwyn for about the 6 years attending many of the seminars & conferences where he was a guest speaker. He is the real deal! He is a no BS kind of guy. Very open minded...willing to listen & learn new things too! He's trained many professional & amatuer athletes for many years. Alwyn knows what he's doing. We can all learn a thing or two from him.

Ray Anderson
CROSSFIT MURRIETA
Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Steven:

basically what Dennis said. If you're having problems coming down (where your center of grav is higher) then start at the bottom (where center of grav is lower and you're more stable) and work your way up. Plus hitting the bottom position is also good for some flexibility if you shift your weight around in that position which can also help (even if that's not your limiting factor).

Tim: lol, I've started quite a few threads .. rarely though.