CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #21
Brad Davis

Profile:
Re: How Has Paleo Worked For You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Besenyei View Post
Brad, thanks for the tip on macadamia nuts.
My pleasure. Definitely works for me. No clue why.

Craig, you're the first other person I've heard from who has noticed the same thing.

As for Paleo in general, I've enjoyed it for the most part. One HUGE plus for me is portion control. If I don't over-do the nuts, it is actually difficult to eat enough, much less over-eat. I confess to recently adding ezekiel bread into my diet and I've gained about 4 lb over the last month. I think I'm going to un-add it, LOL. If I weighed and measured everything, then that might work ok. Without weighing and measuring everything, I need Paleo + IF to keep my portion control in check.

The only downside I can think of it that I get bored wtih the carb choices from time to time (hence the temptation to add some high quality bread). Actually, I can think of another. I *think* I've developed an egg allergy, but I'm not sure. Then again, that is NOT the fault of TPD because I ate way more eggs than Cordain recommends. Jury's still out on that one.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #22
Craig Brown

Profile:

I'll be doing a version of IF (eating between 8am-4pm) and see what that is like.

One thing that I have often wondered is about nutrient selection if we are looking to hunter-gatherer kind of ideas (and remember I consider what I do 'paleo informed' I'm not attached ideologically tot he 'program'). It seems like in the warm months we should be eating most of the years supply of fruit and vegetables, and shifting to a mostly fat and protein pattern in the cold. I think about this because I have often wondered if the general availability of so many kinds of food year round is actually good for our health.

Craig
Old 01-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #23
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Meyer View Post
Susie,
Do you do IF every day then?
I have been, for the most part. Except for those mornings I woke up feeling the need to eat.

It's only been a couple of weeks, so I'm no expert and I'm willing to change things as I go along.

I've been doing a whole lot of reading lately about longevity and health, including the original studies done on the Okinawans, those people with the highest proportion of healthy elders---including those living to and beyond 100.

What I'm concluding from this reading is that vastly different food cultures have better health indices than the US, ranging from the French, with their diets rich in saturated fat, white bread, and wine, to the Okinawans, who eat white rice, vegetables, fish, a little meat, sea vegetables and little fat.

What the French and the Okinawans do have in common is that their traditional diets are not industrialized: they eat real food, and not too much.

So whether paleo works because it's paleo, or because it's real food, well....the evidence seems to suggest it's the "real food" aspect, based upon my reading.

The problem is, real food is getting harder and harder to find.

Real food might be bread made from fresh flour, yeast, salt and water, but certainly not the stuff that comes presliced, with preservatives and HFCS and lasts for weeks without spoiling.

Real food might be yogurt made from the milk of a grassfed animal that changes its taste over the grazing year, but it almost certainly does not include "go-gurt" in a tube, or Light 'n Fit yogurt sweetened with aspartame or Splenda.

Real food might include slow-cooked whole oats, but it almost certainly is not Cap'n Crunch cereal that also will last longer than your child's infatuation with the stuff.

The rest of that crap in the market is a manufactured edible. It is not real food.

Susie
Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #24
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

I just started reading The Omnivore's Dilemma based on your mention of it in another thread. I imagine I may look at food much differently after reading it.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #25
Debbie Meckfessel

Profile:

did you all read the paleo diet book before you started eating this way? or how did you get started?
thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
Craig Brown

Profile:

I actually stumbled across Neanderthin in the Flagstaff Public Library a LONG time ago, but got into it the first time when I found Art DeVany's first site. For me it is very easy, which is why I tend to use it. Like I have said, I certainly 'cheat', just not in the first month. I find that if I really just do the meat/veg/nuts for 30 days the slow inclusion of fruit IS my sweets- lose the interest in anything else.

Craig
Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #27
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Brown View Post
I'll be doing a version of IF (eating between 8am-4pm) and see what that is like.

One thing that I have often wondered is about nutrient selection if we are looking to hunter-gatherer kind of ideas (and remember I consider what I do 'paleo informed' I'm not attached ideologically tot he 'program'). It seems like in the warm months we should be eating most of the years supply of fruit and vegetables, and shifting to a mostly fat and protein pattern in the cold. I think about this because I have often wondered if the general availability of so many kinds of food year round is actually good for our health.

Craig
Craig, good points. If you get the chance or have the desire, read:

Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival (Paperback)
by Bent Formby (Author), T. S. Wiley (Contributor)

It address's your comments.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #28
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I "backed" into paleo after being on a diet that greatly improved my health. There was virtually no grains, except(sparingly)wild rice, no dairy. etc. Fruit was temporarily eliminated to avoid all sugar. It is for intestinal candida control. It's way more strick than paleo. Going off it made me gradually feel like crap again. I'm trying to do paleo, but, when I have the carb cravings it is usually because of a little slip like russian dressing on a salad. Very bad food, and very easy to be in denial of it as a cheat. Back to flax oil and fresh garlic. Last night I was dying for a chocolate bar. I thought of what do I really crave - fat and sugar! I ate walnuts and an apple. Best fat and sugar hit I could find! I also eat some figs and dates with pumkin seeds and nuts. Dried fruits were never allowed on the anti candida, but, I think in moderation they may be ok for me now. I'm not doing the NIKE and just doing it, but, I know I'm generally at the root of my own cravings.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #29
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

RE: accelerated evolution theory

I'd have responded sooner, but I had to move, i.e. change residence, yesterday. Always a good opportunity for some functional work! But back in the US, when I had ~1000 books and my own desks, shelves, tables, appliances, sofas, beds, etc, it was a lot more. I finished the entire move and worked a half-day yesterday.

Here's the best link I know on accelerated evolution theory, it's very accessible. I don't demand of Glassman that he whip out peer-reviewed journal citations when he talks about fitness reducing to power with all that mass X distance / time mumbo-jumbo, which is clearly fantastical extrapolation... (/sarcasm)

This extrapolation of evolutionary theory is similarly conventional. What is unconventional is being able to paint a mathematical landscape, so that we can get a clear picture of how big an impact an environmental change can make. What human populations have experienced over the last 40K years is tremendous population mixtures, migrations and environmental changes. But enough of this... Here's a great source: http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/e...tory_2007.html

Thank you, Ger, for giving those links.

Here's another *excellent* and supremely accessible summary:
http://nyuanshin.livejournal.com/109773.html
and more technical:
http://nyuanshin.livejournal.com/110000.html
And note: he also refers to Hawks' journal
Old 01-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #30
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Do I need to respond to those who mistakenly feel like I've kicked their pet cow in the nuts?

We're all here because someone had the spine to stand up, question and think when faced with the obvious wisdom that if you want to be healthy, you should eat more of that food that says "healthy" on the package... "part of a balanced diet," "low-fat!" "no sugar!", etc. He didn't JUST DO IT --- he thought, questioned, and pushed for better answers. Sure, peers jeered at him. They always do. Fortunately such antics are often inconsequential, and we move forward.

I'm looking under the hood and questioning how it works. Unfortunately for this metaphor, what we're looking at wasn't engineered and we don't naturally read the language the blueprints were written in. So we're struggling to understand it, and speculating about the conditions that shaped each component. Because of successfully engaging these struggles before, we've come to understand, for example, that "anaerobic" training can be better for aerobic capacity than "aerobic" training. (I.e., our language is still behind our understanding of physiology); or, for example, that neuroendocrine response is absolutely critical to developing fitness --- and what stimuli actually promote neuroendocrine response? These details are important.

But this IS a discussion forum, so throwing the ignition key at me and telling me to just drive the damn thing is missing the point. I'm not here to download cube steak and asparagus, to chew it in public, or to cheerlead.

Moreover, I am NOT knocking paleo. Paleo is the most sensible theory I know of, and I happily tell people who discuss nutrition with me about Paleo, and I stick to the basics and insist that it makes sense. My understanding of nutrition is so solid that it's not threatened by someone pointing out that some details of the theory are fuzzy.

I never said that I haven't tried Paleo. You read way too much into my short statements. I don't want to bore people with the details.

I have, in fact, done STRICT paleo for a few months at a time. But it wasn't my first time reducing, for instance, carbs in my diet, or switching over to mostly whole foods.

Shall I presume that you all understood, X years ago where X > 10, that fitness was a good thing? But you didn't find CrossFit until some time later. Were you sitting on your lazy *** all those years between the two? Enough with the absurd presumptions.

There is only one more detail I'll burden this discussion with --- I'm a type 1, insulin dependent diabetic. Yes, this makes a difference.

But there is the possibility that genotypal differences have profound variability in adaptation to agricultural vs. other models of hunter-gatherer diets --- and I would say, more than possibility, but probability. So that you can't simply predict, theoretically, what variation of "paleo" diet is optimal for all people. A simple example of this is lactose intolerance.

I'm pro- paleo. I have noticed that a significant portion of people claim to suffer intense cravings after switching to paleo. I have experienced some of this myself, but because of my (unusual) life circumstances, perhaps these experiences are not meaningful. But I also know that the theory's model of human evolution is a bit oversimplified, and I wonder if my experience reflects some of this distortion.