CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:53 AM   #21
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Drugs, Alcohol, And You.

Also, I'm pretty certain that guy was hypothetical

Old 09-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #22
Eric Cohen

Profile:

The views on any of these topics is largely based on individual, cultural, and societal perspectives. What one person might believe is right, another might say is wrong. The truth is neither can be justified as right or wrong, it's just a matter of preference from instilled values throughout lifehood experience. Example, one region's population largely believes cannibalism is wrong, inhumane, psychotic; go to some South American tribal regions, and they celebrate it gladly. This variation is due to what they've seen, heard, and believe. Whether for recreational, medicinal, ehancement, and (least likely) abusal, possibility is that there may be numerous people who find drugs to aid them very much in their life. At the same time others will shun them due to man-made laws, beliefs, values, experiences, etc.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #23
Corey Duvall

Profile:

The reason chemicals can be harmful or therapeutic is based on dosage, not content. The same chemical that makes advil useful can also have detrimental effects when taken in excess. That goes for every drug known to man. Chemotherapy is essentially poison at low levels. Why do you think people get so sick from it? The idea is that cancer has a higher metabolic rate (the cells are more active) and will take up more of the poison than the rest of the body. The hope is that the cancer cells die before the patient. It's been said quite a bit here already so I won't belabour the point. Morals are based on what you know. I think strong people know their stance, stick to it, and accept the stance of others. Weak people, those unsure of their own stance, try to knock others down to make themselves feel that their stance is justified. If no one stands against them, they MUST be right.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #24
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Jason- in most cases, the same compound that gives the benefit has the unwanted side effects. Yes, you just gave your opinion, but in an inflammatory way. I think, for my part, that if "Corey's 12 year old" is buying weed, there are larger issues to be dealt with.

Corey- it sounds good in theory, but rarely are cases so simple, as Jason pointed out. Yes, there's tons of recreational users out there who do no harm to anyone; but there also are tons of addicts who wouldn't think twice of strangling you to get their next high. Drug use becomes self-destructive at a point, and, by an extension of the golden rule, we should help out those in need.

You guys both have very valid points, just try to see each others' side of it.

But I can't let this whole "illegal" thing go by without commenting on it. Government is not god. Nor are laws. They do not dictate to me what I do, nor what I believe. I follow what is in my heart, abiding by my own sense of morals and code of ethics. If it comes into conflict with the law, so be it. The law must (and will) fail. Remember, then, our Declaration of Independence from Great Britain- "...Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..." Was THAT against the law? Absolutely. Did they do it anyways? You know it. What if they had just decided "oh, that's illegal, let's not rebel"? We'd be a British colony. Granted I'm taking this into an extremist viewpoint, but that's the nature of argument, is it not?

I think keeping all these drugs illegal is bull****. If it grows in the dirt, I have every right to put it into my mouth, smoke it, inject it, or otherwise introduce it into my body. I eat what I want, I can consume poison if I so desire. Should we then regulate toxic substances such as rat poison?

Legalize it. I have to believe (based on experience) that if all these [now-]illegal drugs were legalized, usage would plummet. There'd be no taboo anymore, no illict draw. Government could then produce, tax and regulate these substances, perhaps raising itself out of debt (I forsee someone arguing about people stealing drugs from farms, but if it were legal, prices would plumment, and no one steals corn, do they?). Smuggling would stop, because the price of smuggling would be greater than the cost to buy it legally.

Last edited by Skylar Cook : 09-30-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #25
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar Cook View Post
Jason- in most cases, the same compound that gives the benefit has the unwanted side effects. Yes, you just gave your opinion, but in an inflammatory way. I think, for my part, that if "Corey's 12 year old" is buying weed, there are larger issues to be dealt with.

Corey- it sounds good in theory, but rarely are cases so simple, as Jason pointed out. Yes, there's tons of recreational users out there who do no harm to anyone; but there also are tons of addicts who wouldn't think twice of strangling you to get their next high. Drug use becomes self-destructive at a point, and, by an extension of the golden rule, we should help out those in need.

You guys both have very valid points, just try to see each others' side of it.

But I can't let this whole "illegal" thing go by without commenting on it. Government is not god. Nor are laws. They do not dictate to me what I do, nor what I believe. I follow what is in my heart, abiding by my own sense of morals and code of ethics. If it comes into conflict with the law, so be it. The law must (and will) fail. Remember, then, our Declaration of Independence from Great Britain- "...Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..." Was THAT against the law? Absolutely. Did they do it anyways? You know it. What if they had just decided "oh, that's illegal, let's not rebel"? We'd be a British colony. Granted I'm taking this into an extremist viewpoint, but that's the nature of argument, is it not?

I think keeping all these drugs illegal is bull****. If it grows in the dirt, I have every right to put it into my mouth, smoke it, inject it, or otherwise introduce it into my body. I eat what I want, I can consume poison if I so desire. Should we then regulate toxic substances such as rat poison?

Legalize it. I have to believe (based on experience) that if all these [now-]illegal drugs were legalized, usage would plummet. There'd be no taboo anymore, no illict draw. Government could then produce, tax and regulate these substances, perhaps raising itself out of debt (I forsee someone arguing about people stealing drugs from farms, but if it were legal, prices would plumment, and no one steals corn, do they?). Smuggling would stop, because the price of smuggling would be greater than the cost to buy it legally.
I never said anything about Corey's 12 year old. I said a 12 year old. Drug dealers just care about money. They don't care who the drugs go to. Toadstool mushrooms come out of the ground, why not eat those? Marijuana being illegal is in no way taking a gigantic piece out of my life. If I wasn't allowed to practice my religion I would take a different stance. Do you also believe that drinking and driving is ok just because drinking is legal? I believe that if marijuana was legalized there would be a huge increase in the number of minors using the drugs due to it being more readily available. Everything isn't just black and white. You can say that if everyone in the world smoked weed and went to a Phish concert that there would be world peace, but things just don't work that way.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #26
Nicholas Hahn

Profile:

As for the subject of drugs and alcohol, I have to say that if I were on a team, I wouldn't really care what my teammates did as long as we won. As for myself, I've done marijuana and other drugs and probably consumed enough beer to fill a swimming pool in my day. Are they bad? Not inherently.

As for not doing drugs because they are illegal, I can't agree with that. Legality does not dictate morality. There are no two ways about it. I don't see anything wrong with smoking a joint after work. I wouldn't do it because the stuff zaps my motivation and focus and--I think--makes it harder for me to breathe.

Are steroids bad? Well, if it is against the league rules, then yes it is wrong to take steroids and it constitutes cheating. Otherwise, I'm all for it if the individual wants to. I don't consider messing with my body's endocrinology to be very smart. Like many other people say, "Where do you draw the line?" Is creatine wrong?

Tiger Woods got Lasik to improve is already 20/20 vision. That is performance enhancing, is it not? Does it not give him a leg up on those competitors who can't afford the surgery or aren't candidates?

Let individuals make their own decisions and don't worry so much.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 PM   #27
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Hahn View Post
As for the subject of drugs and alcohol, I have to say that if I were on a team, I wouldn't really care what my teammates did as long as we won. As for myself, I've done marijuana and other drugs and probably consumed enough beer to fill a swimming pool in my day. Are they bad? Not inherently.

As for not doing drugs because they are illegal, I can't agree with that. Legality does not dictate morality. There are no two ways about it. I don't see anything wrong with smoking a joint after work. I wouldn't do it because the stuff zaps my motivation and focus and--I think--makes it harder for me to breathe.

Are steroids bad? Well, if it is against the league rules, then yes it is wrong to take steroids and it constitutes cheating. Otherwise, I'm all for it if the individual wants to. I don't consider messing with my body's endocrinology to be very smart. Like many other people say, "Where do you draw the line?" Is creatine wrong?

Tiger Woods got Lasik to improve is already 20/20 vision. That is performance enhancing, is it not? Does it not give him a leg up on those competitors who can't afford the surgery or aren't candidates?

Let individuals make their own decisions and don't worry so much.
Disagree Lasik surgery is way different than injecting yourself with a chemical. It's like comparing plastic surgery to cocaine use.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:24 PM   #28
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I knew a lot of kids in high school that dropped out. They just happened to be pot smokers. A friend of my friends was stabbed over a drug deal. Yes for pot. For the record I do not do drugs and I do not associate with people that do. So many people that have not known people and seen the way they change like to go around and say it's ok. It's just not as simple as "pot made ME relax so it doesn't hurt anybody".

Here's a steriod article. May not be work safe, probably not family safe.
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=856980

Even pro-steroid website acknowledge side effects.
http://www.isteroids.com/steroids/Ef...0Steroids.html

wfs

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 09-30-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 AM   #29
Corey Duvall

Profile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_war WFS

Does it make ALL religious fervor wrong? People died...

I'm sorry you lost friends due to drug use. That is a terrible thing to have happen. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't the drugs, it was the person. We all have personal responsibility for our own actions, and if we get caught up in abuse of drugs to the point our lives are "ruined" we have no one to blame but ourselves. As soon as we blame the drugs we lose our responsibility, which means we lose our freedom.

Last edited by Corey Duvall : 10-01-2007 at 04:54 AM.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #30
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Over here in WA this hits home today more so than normal. We've just lost a 41 year old ex footy player (prominent) yesterday. Believed to have been on a bender and consumed amongst other things - ecstasy and maybe cannabis. The drug thing lately has been a big scandal amongst our footy players. The tragedy is this guy was in the process of splitting up from his wife - she and the two kids were up north when this happened. I've no doubt their differences were drug related.

I guess the point is - these things can kill (ecstasy anyway). Combined with alcohol especially, people just do stupid things and the penalty can be permanent.

Closed Thread