CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Any ex-smoker CFers out there?

I am fortunate to have never become addicted to cigarettes. Never smoked one, never will. To me they are horrible and I can't stand the smell of them when others smoke. Cigars are much easier to deal with but even those irritate me. Good luck breaking the addiction. From what I have heard, it is a really difficult thing to do.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
I am fortunate to have never become addicted to cigarettes. Never smoked one, never will. To me they are horrible and I can't stand the smell of them when others smoke. Cigars are much easier to deal with but even those irritate me. Good luck breaking the addiction. From what I have heard, it is a really difficult thing to do.

Derek;
Great post, very motivational and informative. I'm sure Joshua will feel encouraged.
Jay
Old 09-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #13
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I am sorry if I might have come off holier-than-thou, it was not my intention. I really do wish Joshua the best.

I think that smoking could be compared to sin. Not that it is immoral, but rather that it can be a difficult habit to break. If you are prone to anger, one of the best ways to counter it would be to get in the habit of doing charitable acts, rather than just avoiding anger. In the case of smoking, don't try to dance around it, push it away entirely. Ask people who are very close to you to help. I understand that the physical addiction to nicotine would make smoking very difficult to push away entirely all at once and I can only give you my good wishes. I am not familiar with the physical addiction and others could best help you with that.

I re-read my previous post and I must again apologize. I realize now how offensive it looks but I was not thinking of that beforehand.

Last edited by Derek Maffett : 09-06-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #14
Joshua Vernier

Profile:

Everyone,
Thanks for the resources and encouragement! I'm going to do some more thorough research, but I plan on setting my quit date for the day I go home on leave (i'll have a 17-hour flight to kick it off). I'll keep posting my progress, and would appreciate it if you could help keep me accountable.

Derek - No need to apologize, I didn't take it personally.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
Zach Wright

Profile:

I've never smoked so I can't offer any advice from personal experience. But I know lots of people who have quit and the thing they always told me is that you have to think positively about it. Instead of telling yourself how hard it's going to be and thinking in the mindset of "giving it up," think of how much you're gaining. Its always more encouraging to think of what you're getting than what you're giving up. You have our support here for sure. Would you possibly have any friends or family who have quit successfully? Their support would probably help a lot. Best of luck to you man!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #16
Craig Brown

Profile:

Joshua- The other thing that really helped me to quit was to maximize the use of my body- anything that (in the words of Bob Hoffman) would make me "huff and puff". So this is running, bicycling, Crossfit, pushups...pushups would be a good one. Why not decide that you can have a smoke anytime you want, but everytime you smoke one you have to do 50 pushups immdeiately BEFORE you smoke. Make it obvious to your body how much smoking sucks.

Keep in mind you are DONE physically in three days. After that it's all a mental game.

Craig
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 AM   #17
Mike Gray

Profile:

Yo, Joshua -

Complete non-smoker here (and way past glad, too - I don't know whether I would have the balls to quit!) but I just wanted to say that using this forum as a place to log your advances into a smoke free life sounds like a great idea to me. I'd very much like to think that the CF community - including the virtual part - is That Sort of Place, and I think a whole lot of us would be proud as hell to raise our protein-shake of choice to each milestone you cross. I love reading about how people have quintupled their backsquats or run a three-minute mile on their hands, but watching somebody add something like 10 years to their life would be the ultimate rush. So go for it!

So when does that 17 hour flight start, anyway?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #18
Ryan Kirk

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Any ex-smoker CFers out there?

Joshua, best of luck on your lifestyle change. I am right there with you - today is my stop day - set 1 week ago. My plan is to use the patch to quell the physical side of things. Steven Covey (author) says that to get rid of a bad habit you have to replace it with a good habit. So I will be replacing my habit with following the CF schedule and adopting a paleo/zone diet with the goal of completing the WOD consistently to give me a purpose. That should fill the void! If I have a craving I plan to go for a run or shadow boxing. I don't expect this to be easy and most worthwhile things never are.

cheers, Ryan
Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 AM   #19
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Just wanted to add; of all the decisions I've made in my life, the decision to quit smoking has been the single most important. So much good has come from that one moment, so many rewards, crossfit being just one.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #20
Joshua Vernier

Profile:

Mike - It's because of this community that I think I'll be able to manage much better this time around. I didn't have the support last time because I had a TI yelling at me for a month and a half and then 3 months of fire academy...this time I just need to wait until I come back from the Desert (1 week!), so I have zero stresses on me. The 17-hour plane flight should be in about 2 weeks.

I've actually already stopped buying...now all I do is bum smokes off other people, and it p***es them off. That'll either help me or just make me lose friends. Haha.

Everyone else - Again, thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to eventually sharing my success with you!