CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-24-2007, 02:33 AM   #11
John Seiler

Profile:
George,

Go back and read my post. I said I saw his eyes after her rolled over. NOBODY saw his eyes when he was on top of Emerson. That's the problem. AGAIN, I agree he was hurt. Hurt and unconscious are two different things. When you go back and look at the fight, look at the ref. As soon as the slam is made he is looking at Emerson. He doesn't look at Maynard until Emerson rolls off his arm. How do you decide a guy is out when you never looked at him?!

"I have yet to see a fight where the guy who was on top and a dude taps, stop at the first tap."
-Then apparently you didn't see the Diaz fight.

I agree that many of the new guys are lousy interviews. BUT, if you're gonna interview someone, let them answer. Joe was rude and confrontational, IMO. His time for opinion is when he's calling the fight.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #12
Feng Yi Chew

Profile:
Did anyone note Jens Pulver's use of kettlebells and plyo boxes in the video previews of their fight preparations? That being said, I wonder if HE might have used Crossfit.

Personally I would have loved to see Pulver win but the way BJ fought was awesome and no one can take anything away from him. I really admired Jens Pulver's graciousness in defeat (somehow I think all the trash-talking during Ultimate Fighter 5 between the two was mainly to add fuel to fire onscreen).
Old 06-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
Re: Maynard vs. Emerson

I don,t remember the other fighter, but in a past fight, this guy had Mat Hughes in a triangle. Hughes picked him up bodily and stood straight up. He wanted to slam him but they were to close to the cage. Hughes held him up with the small of his back against the upper rail for a good while then slammed? dropped? him. The other guy claimed that Hughes passed out from the triangle, the announcer commented that he appeared to be out and he seemed no more or less responsive than Gray Maynard.????
Old 06-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #14
Jason Fox

Profile:
Carlos Newton was the other fighter in the Matt Hughes scenario mentioned by Dennis
Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #15
George Mounce

Profile:
I give up. In the Diaz fight, he taps the mat, not the other fighter. He also taps on the side away from the ref. Diaz also HITS him after the first tap. Diaz also has a verbal cue from the ref, the crowd, and the other contestant.

(WFS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU1QhckKv_Q

Watch seconds :15 to :25 as many times as you would like, because you apparently don't see his (Diaz's) arm swinging after the tap. So apparently I'm full of it. My powers of observation apparently are lacking.

(WFS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOo4wUL2suA

(5:48 and on)
The doctors looked at him. The ref called it. Not worth crying over now. Knocked out or not, he was in no shape to continue when he hit the mat with his head during the slam. At the point, it was no contest. Argue semantics all you want.

BAH...official hiatus from forums. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #16
Rich Stackon

Profile:
I agree, George. To be honest, I saw him as being semi-conscious. His eyes were open, but at one point DID seem to roll back for a moment- they were fixated straight ahead at first. But if you watch the whole replay, the doctor comes up to him and he is trying to sit/stand up, and he literally falls back and his knees are so wobbly he can't even gain his footing. He falls flat on his back and they examine him. Also, look at the replay. His arm, when he rolls back over, is hanging in the air, not relaxed across his body. This is a sign of a head injury that you see when people get knocked out or sustain other blows to the head- if it's serious enough it's called "posturing". This is what it appears like to me.
I have seen people knocked unconscious, and not all of them roll their eyes back- especially if they are in and out of consciousness, like being bopped in the noggin enough to wobble you but not enough to put you down for the count. He definitely rocked himself, and was not in a condition at that time to go on.

}

(Message edited by rich67 on June 24, 2007)
Old 06-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #17
Andrew Peterson

Profile:
John,

If it helps any, I read that Steve Mazzagatti did not make the call on the "no contest". From what I read (I think it was on mmaweekly.com), the Nevada State Athletic Commission is the one that determined that Gray Maynard had knocked himself out and called the fight a no contest.

I agree that the CroCop-Gonzaga stand-up was a little strange and Huerta-Evans lasted longer than it need to, but I think the UFC officiating is fairly good.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #18
John Seiler

Profile:
Andrew,

Thanks for the heads up.

George,

Gosh, I didn't think that would offend you. I'm just having a friendly debate. You got a little fresh with me: You must have had an incredible camera angle I didn't see to have seen his eyes at the completion of the slam, but I don't mind. This stuff is fun to get fired up about. I hope you change your mind as you offer a lot to the community.

(Message edited by john_seiler on June 24, 2007)
Old 06-25-2007, 01:33 AM   #19
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Manny tapped a lot. On to other things, BJ was awesome.