CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Allan Fisher

Profile:
I've spent six weeks (seems like more) doing PT to recover strength in my right quad after being diagnosed with arthritis (kneecap) and a meniscus tear. I'd aggravated the original injury, I think, by continuing to work out with bad form involving favoring the injured knee; my WOD numbers kept improving even as that quad got weaker and tighter.

My doctor and PT think I should give up on squats and explosive lifts. I think before resigning myself to that I want to try to start as light as possible, with as perfect mechanics as possible, and go as far as I can go without inducing significant pain or swelling in my knee. If it never hurts or swells, then it seems like what I'm doing is OK. I think probably the key to this is to invest in some coaching, which I've done without to this point.

Comments/suggestions?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Andrew Steeves

Profile:  
Rehab, I'm not expert but I'd say keep your hip flexors, IT Band and all that stuff lose. Also maybe work on your VMO, which is the teardrop muscle above the knee, part of the quad and is a knee stabilizer. Also strong hamstrings and glutes will also help stabilize.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Damn. My post got erased!

Get a second opinion! Squatting, IMHO, is essential to your knee strenght and overall wellbeing.

Get coaching. Don't go to your commercial gym. Don't go to a PT. Don't do anything that involves a stability ball or a BOSU.

Get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Find a good coach.

Get your ROM back first. Walk, Stretch, do Yoga. Then once you can bend the knee, start squatting.

Best of luck. Also read the CFJ on rehab.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Squatting is a bilateral movement that will invariably force you to favor the "good" leg, potentially increasing the compensatory problems that are already established.

For the moment, I recommend dropping all movements that require simultaneous bilateral leg drive, and focusing instead on full-body joint mobility practice.

Full-body joint mobility is essential for resolving patterns of compensatory muscle tension resulting from training with that injury. I've had a torn meniscus that required surgery, and believe me you want to do this to speed your recovery. My surgeon said I bounced back 3x faster than expected, due in large part to the way I adapted my recovery training.

Have your injured leg set the pace for all of your training. Do not do more with the good side. While some of your numbers will temporarily slide, your recovery will be faster and more complete, with less chance of reinjury down the road. Again, I speak from personal experience.

I will be happy to recommend some excellent joint mobility programs to you if desired. My web site also has information on some options.

Last - Do NOT try to focus on any one muscle, or a specific collection of muscles. That is how people create new imbalances, new compensatory issues, and possible new injuries. Work instead on the quality and comfort of your movement in all three planes: up/down, left/right, forward/back. Your body will put the strength where it is needed. Start gentle and let your healing tissues guide you.

Here's an article that gives some excellent rules of thumb for recovery training:
http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/24/sonnon.html

Good luck with your recovery!:happy:
Old 05-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Allan Fisher

Profile:
Thanks.