CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Rod Gates

Profile:
I am just starting out with Crossfit and want to begin slowly assembling my home gym. I have read reviews on different Oly bars to consider but have not heard mention of what collar types are available and easiest to use. Also, there are no Crossfit affiliates near me to join but I am wondering if I might still get some of the discounts that members receive when placing online orders? I want the bar now to practice form before I spring for bumpers later on. Feel free to add any comments that might help me in my decision making. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Rod,
My experience has been, if you see it on this msg board, your able to get the discount.

If I were to buy another bar it would be from Scott at http://bsolympicgym.com/ Contact via call or email to setup your purchase. I got my wife's York bar from him, no problems.

If I had more of a disposable income, it would be from Chapman. This is based on the discussion here, not my personal experience.

I currently have a low end "Made In China" men's olympic bar (bushings) that I have yet to snap in half. It came with the spring clips and the collars with the threaded locking L shaped bolt. Basic stuff, but it works fine. I bought it used from a friend 10 years ago, used it more in the past 6 months of crossfit, than the previous 10 years.

(Message edited by paul on May 16, 2006)
Old 05-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Clay Jones

Profile:

As for collars, plain old spring collars work fine with bumper plates.