CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #111
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Elite crossfit athlete development theory

Given what I've posted on this topic and going back over it for what I've learned now this is how I would train someone for the "unknown and unknowable"

1. At least 3-4 longer aerobic runs a week. Focusing on building up aerobic base.
2. Teach person how to properly sprint
3. Focus barbell work on the Oly lifts
4. Lots of skill work on gymnastics movements

The rest of the barbell movements tend to fall under a mix of the gymnastics/Oly combo.

Running well cannot be taught well without lots of practice, and there's almost always running so you need a huge aerobic base. Aerobic base is great for recovery factors as well.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #112
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Witchcraft that has won many, many, many gold medals.
Plus the Crossfit Games.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #113
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Given what I've posted on this topic and going back over it for what I've learned now this is how I would train someone for the "unknown and unknowable"

1. At least 3-4 longer aerobic runs a week. Focusing on building up aerobic base.
2. Teach person how to properly sprint
3. Focus barbell work on the Oly lifts
4. Lots of skill work on gymnastics movements

The rest of the barbell movements tend to fall under a mix of the gymnastics/Oly combo.

Running well cannot be taught well without lots of practice, and there's almost always running so you need a huge aerobic base. Aerobic base is great for recovery factors as well.
Would this also be your recommendation for achieving all the level 3 standards from eat.move.improve?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #114
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Would this also be your recommendation for achieving all the level 3 standards from eat.move.improve?
Actually, yes, with different modifications due to individual strengths, weaknesses, and anthropometry.

I haven't actually looked at them in a while, but I know we had them for all around power, strength, and endurance, so this type of focus in training would fit the bill.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #115
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
"Periodization as variations in intensity: inescapable. Periodization as planned variations in intensity to optimize performance: witchcraft." -Greg Glassman
People still quote Greg Glassman like the things he says are actually applicable to successful training?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #116
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
People still quote Greg Glassman like the things he says are actually applicable to successful training?
It was quoted for sarcasm. I'm actually a huge fan of properly periodized strength and conditioning programmes; I can't go full tilt, focusing on every aspect of my conditioning all year round, as it's not specific to my sport.

Also, don't forget, he's the founder of CrossFit, and that this is the CrossFit message boards.

Last edited by Pearse Shields : 07-13-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #117
John McCord

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
If you're trying to say that he hasn't made any statements applicable to successful training you could be more than slightly mistaken. Its very likely that without CF a very large amount of people who do CF might still be in the gym doing Back/Bi - Chest/Tri - Elliptical workouts, would that be successful training?

I have learned a a lot of valuable information through CF (Message Board/Journal) in the last 6 months, even though I don't actually do CF workouts, with the exception of those thrown in for conditioning in S&C programming. I can guarantee that I would not have known about SS, 70's Big, GSLP, Westside Method, etc. without first visiting CF.com and subsequently joining this message board.

Bottom line, try to show a little respect when is someone else's house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Also, don't forget, he's the founder of CrossFit, and that this is the CrossFit message boards.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #118
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCord View Post
I have learned a a lot of valuable information through CF (Message Board/Journal) in the last 6 months, even though I don't actually do CF workouts, with the exception of those thrown in for conditioning in S&C programming. I can guarantee that I would not have known about SS, 70's Big, GSLP, Westside Method, etc. without first visiting CF.com and subsequently joining this message board.
Exactly my story too
Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #119
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCord View Post
Its very likely that without CF a very large amount of people who do CF might still be in the gym doing Back/Bi - Chest/Tri - Elliptical workouts, would that be successful training?
If they enjoy doing it and it get out of it what they are looking for then yes it is successful training for them.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #120
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Steven - Two more questions.

What do you consider "longer" aerobic runs?

And if someone achieved ALL of your level 3 standards how effective of a crossfitter do you think they would be?