CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #101
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: Elite crossfit athlete development theory

Also, 95-99% of all members in a given gym are simply not good enough, nor do they have goals that warrant individualized programming. And that's not to say it wouldn't benefit them to some degree. And most of the ones that have the goals still aren't good enough at basic stuff to warrant it. Having "Level 2" classes when there is enough competitive demand takes care of this, as do PT sessions. But individualizing training just because you can is tilting at windmills IMHO.

Last edited by Mauricio Leal : 07-12-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #102
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Well, if there wasn't the community aspect to CF I think you'd see every affiliate without any leeway for individualizing programming to suffer...But with the community aspect, sometimes folks are paying the membership prices for reasons simliar to the way guys do at premier golf clubs, You are IN, and you have like minded folks around you, everyone knows your name, and they're all glad you came...ya know.
I know. And, as long as people know what they are paying for and are happy with the given service, then yay. I like it when people are happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Also, 95-99% of all members in a given gym are simply not good enough, nor do they have goals that warrant individualized programming.
Wow.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #103
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Also, 95-99% of all members in a given gym are simply not good enough, nor do they have goals that warrant individualized programming. And that's not to say it wouldn't benefit them to some degree. And most of the ones that have the goals still aren't good enough at basic stuff to warrant it. Having "Level 2" classes when there is enough competitive demand takes care of this, as do PT sessions. But individualizing training just because you can is tilting at windmills IMHO.
All goals are worthy, it only matters that people actually try. Who are you to say that someone's dream doesn't matter?

Having "level 2 classes" to me just says more generic programming, with no attention to particular weaknesses; just workouts that are harder/heavier/more likely to make you chunder after.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #104
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
All goals are worthy, it only matters that people actually try. Who are you to say that someone's dream doesn't matter?
Please do not misread what I am saying. I am simply saying that scaling within the parameters of basic programming will meet the needs and goals of the vast majority of individuals who come to train. The programming itself does not need to change, that is the difference. You can still have "goat time" and MobilityWODs and individualized coaching in movements, but that does not mean assigning separate, more elaborate WODs to individuals who still do not squat properly.

Last edited by Mauricio Leal : 07-12-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #105
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Wow.
I agree, wow. Unless a gym owner knows everyone's' goals 100%, or finds out through trial and error of offering classes then they won't ever know that.

As to the "being able to program for themselves", you don't need a level 2 to do that. I think that just depends on the person and how into their fitness they want to be educated (outside of cf mostly), very little to do with cf at all actually. According to HQ all you need is $1,000, a few right answers, and a weekend's time. I disagree, but that's another thread all together.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #106
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Please do not misread what I am saying. I am simply saying that scaling within the parameters of basic programming will meet the needs and goals of the vast majority of individuals who come to train. The programming itself does not need to change, that is the difference. You can still have "goat time" and MobilityWODs and individualized coaching in movements, but that does not mean assigning separate, more elaborate WODs to individuals who still do not squat properly.
Let me ask you this, say you were a coach at a cf gym, is part of coaching educating your customers as to why they are doing what they are doing in wods? If so then wouldn't it get to the point to where they have a basic concept of simple cf style programming after 6 months to a year?

Of should you keep them kind of in the dark, that way they will not be able to go open their own gym, or buy the equipment and do it in their garage? Kind of a form of group think..... kinda?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #107
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Let me ask you this, say you were a coach at a cf gym, is part of coaching educating your customers as to why they are doing what they are doing in wods? If so then wouldn't it get to the point to where they have a basic concept of simple cf style programming after 6 months to a year?

Of should you keep them kind of in the dark, that way they will not be able to go open their own gym, or buy the equipment and do it in their garage? Kind of a form of group think..... kinda?
I don't even know where you got off on this line of thinking, because I said nothing about how I actually teach classes, just how I manage programming for a group. I think there are a lot of assumptions being made, and there's a saying about those, but I'll play along...

Yes, part of coaching is teaching why. Yes, after even 3 months most interested and inclined people could program reasonably well on their own. This isn't rocket science. Scaling and teaching quality of movement are the primary focuses of a trainer.

I don't appreciate being pigeon-holed into some cliche of an incompetent, money-grubbing CF trainer. We have several people that do WODs on their own, and actively encourage them. We provide travel WODs, and I do a lot of WODs with a few enthusiastic members outside of class time. If you knew me you would know better. I personally believe that most people come for Results, Learning, and Community, and stay for the same reasons but in opposite order.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #108
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Also, 95-99% of all members in a given gym are simply not good enough, nor do they have goals that warrant individualized programming.
97.56% of statistics are made up.

Justin
Old 07-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #109
Pearse Shields

Profile:

"Periodization as variations in intensity: inescapable. Periodization as planned variations in intensity to optimize performance: witchcraft." -Greg Glassman
Old 07-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #110
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
"Periodization as variations in intensity: inescapable. Periodization as planned variations in intensity to optimize performance: witchcraft." -Greg Glassman
Witchcraft that has won many, many, many gold medals.