CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
Mike Laroche

Profile:
Re: Paleo v The Zone???

Honestly, I have tried a lot of different diets over the past 10+ years and here's what I've learned.
Fat is not the enemy. Saturated fat included.
Processed foods, be it carbs or whatever, are terrible for you. This includes all refined carbs, nuts dressed with MSG and other garbage, artificial sweeteners, any drinks other than water and fruit/veg juice, AND factory farmed meat.
Fruits and vegetables are great. Especially vegetables, eat all kinds all the time.

Follow those rules and don't gorge yourself. You can count calories and food blocks if you want, but I've always thought that stuff was a waste of time.
The diet that I always come back to believe it or not is eating for blood type. I have had the best success with that.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Your blood type sounds fairly paleo, Mike.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
Mike Laroche

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Casey View Post
Your blood type sounds fairly paleo, Mike.
It is. O+. The type O diet is largely the paleo diet-no pork though. But, I do think he is on to something about larger amounts of red meat not being for everyone. I have a close friend who is A+, and red meat has torn his stomach up his whole life. I would recommend checking it out to anyone who feels paleo is not the answer for them.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Definitely unweighed unmeasured Paleo... the body will feedback how much it needs.

Sidenote: Scratching my head about how blood type diet came up... but check this http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2010/1...rspective.html (WFS)
Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
Mike Laroche

Profile:

Alicia, that is a good read. The one thing that has always bothered me about dadamo's books is that he fails to footnote or site any of his research. He does make a lot of claims without really backing it up.
That said, I still feel and function best on the type O diet, which yes, is very paleo, with few differences. I have never tried out someone else's digestive system so I can't say what works for them. What I have a problem with is a "one size fits all" approach.
For me the bottom line is still whole foods. I think grains in moderation is fine, but I'm talking whole grain brown rice doused in butter, or whole grain rye or oats. Multi grain cheerios don't count!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #16
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

I've never understood why people think they need to choose between the two.

PALEO = FOOD QUALITY

ZONE = FOOD QUANTITY

(Yes, Sears does give some thought to carbohydrate sources, but only addresses the glycemic index/load issue.)
Old 12-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
David Andrade

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Laroche View Post
It is. O+. The type O diet is largely the paleo diet-no pork though. But, I do think he is on to something about larger amounts of red meat not being for everyone. I have a close friend who is A+, and red meat has torn his stomach up his whole life. I would recommend checking it out to anyone who feels paleo is not the answer for them.
Blood type ah???? bro i'm A+ and i'll tell you any food in th A+ list make me NO favor to my body or performance....when i did PALEO i start to PR i've been healthier than ever stronger than ever.....the blood typ diet absolutly CRASH my performances (well that's just MY personal xperience) i'll try to do PAELO /ZONE the idea of couting meal doesn't sounds great but i'll give it a shot
Old 12-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #18
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Quote:
That said, I still feel and function best on the type O diet, which yes, is very paleo, with few differences. I have never tried out someone else's digestive system so I can't say what works for them. What I have a problem with is a "one size fits all" approach.
For me the bottom line is still whole foods. I think grains in moderation is fine, but I'm talking whole grain brown rice doused in butter, or whole grain rye or oats. Multi grain cheerios don't count!
Am not sure what the exact type O diet is but if you're doing well on it Mike!
Do you not eat pork?

Quote:
I have a close friend who is A+, and red meat has torn his stomach up his whole life.
What happened?
Old 12-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
Mike Laroche

Profile:

Alicia,
I eat pork, but I try to not eat tons of it. If i eat it once or twice a week it doesn't bother me, but if I eat it much more than that it will def give me indigestion.

Friend of mine always got terrible gas from eating red meat. Like sharp pains in the gut, have to lay down after eating it type of gas. Perhaps it was something that was being eaten with the meat that was doing it, I don't know. I will say that I'm sure it was largely if not completely factory farmed meat. So perhaps there was no control experiment with quality beef.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #20
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Alicia,
I eat pork, but I try to not eat tons of it. If i eat it once or twice a week it doesn't bother me, but if I eat it much more than that it will def give me indigestion.

Friend of mine always got terrible gas from eating red meat. Like sharp pains in the gut, have to lay down after eating it type of gas. Perhaps it was something that was being eaten with the meat that was doing it, I don't know. I will say that I'm sure it was largely if not completely factory farmed meat. So perhaps there was no control experiment with quality beef.
I would bet a hundred bucks that it was in fact, not the meat that was causing these sharp pains.