CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #61
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
There are many ways you can approximate the "unknown and unknowable" and create a sensible, practical event.

But then we would be dealing with reality and stepping away from message board nonsense.
How about stop making pithy little snide comments and describe how this is message board nonsense?
Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #62
Ewen Roth

Profile:

As far as I can tell this thread has mostly been about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
For example, a run for distance where you don't know the time constraint, or a run for time where you don't know the distance?
Which you compared to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
You could do it with ruck humps in NC and call it Selection
and further described as this:
Quote:
Show up ready to run 200M or 200 miles 3,2,1 go stop when we tell you

I'm not going to go over all the points made by others and myself explaining why it's a bad idea, but since you and others insist that it's used in the military, can you tell me the range of distances for those Selection rucks in NC? Has it ever been under 3 miles? Over 30? Is it 5 miles one year and 15 the next? Do candidates usually start off as if they're going to be running 2 miles or as if they're most likely going to be running for a ballpark longer distance (pacing and "gaming" the event)?

If these "unknown" runs used in the military are in fact pretty "knowable", I fail to see how they can be used as an example of a 200m-200 mile run being a useful concept. And if completly unknown distance/time runs aren't a useful concept, then they're merely message board nonsense. Superman vs Batman and bear-chases-two-guys math games.

You seem to have information about actual "unknown" runs being held. Please share.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #63
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
You know, I don't get upset when people think my ideas are stupid, when having a differing opinion endangers my "reputation" on this board or when they are believed to have the potential to ruin the CF games if enacted. I'm even generally ok with my ideas being dismissed as ridiculous or moronic. This rubs me wrong though. I'm not full of Crossfit rah rah, whatever the **** that is. I think it would be a good test. You don't, fine. I'm not categorizing your opinion at all except different than mine, but I regard being accused of being "High School coach" like and full of CF rah rah as very disparaging and kind of ****ed up.

Your reasoning is based around TV coverage for future games because you think it might be the ultimate goal. See that's why we disagree, I was looking at this as part of a test of fitness. Reducing the gaming element is one of the advantages to this that I see. I think determining mental fortitude (as evidenced by putting out hard over an unknown period of time) is a legitmate test for a CF champion, check out the number of discussions about using CF to develop the same.

At the end of the day, you may be right. Who knows?
I'm an A**hole. what can i say?

I didn't mean to insult you or crossfit - but I can certainly see how you took it as both.

what I meant is that this type of race would simply be "go as hard as you can as long as you can." I relate that to a high school coach preaching giving "110%" or "never taking a play off." It is nice in theory but has little application.

Don't get me wrong. I think there is something cool about this idea in a one-on-one basis. There is something badarse about saying "I will run as hard as you run - no matter how hard you run. And I will run as far as you run - no matter how far you run." But I think it is silly as a sport and doesn't fit for the games.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #64
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
I'm an A**hole. what can i say?

I didn't mean to insult you or crossfit - but I can certainly see how you took it as both.

what I meant is that this type of race would simply be "go as hard as you can as long as you can." I relate that to a high school coach preaching giving "110%" or "never taking a play off." It is nice in theory but has little application.

Don't get me wrong. I think there is something cool about this idea in a one-on-one basis. There is something badarse about saying "I will run as hard as you run - no matter how hard you run. And I will run as far as you run - no matter how far you run." But I think it is silly as a sport and doesn't fit for the games.

Sure you did.

In answer to the post above, the folks in this type of race are aware that the distances will be long (longer than 200M)and there is mess deck intel about more exact distances for differing events. They have vague ideas about how heavy the ruck will be until just before the event. They don't know what they will experience terrain wise (but they can guess hard) They know there is a time hack, but they don't know what it is. There is some evidence that the standards are different for each event and maybe between different people based on their baseline experience with rucking and land nav.

I agree, it would be silly as a sport, but really so are thrusters and pullups. There's the other idea that the Games is supposed to test fitness, which is where I see this might be useful.