CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Shawn Casey

Profile:
Sweaty MU's

What do y'all use to keep sweat from running onto your wrists and hands? I did Ryan today but my MU's were slippery because sweat runs down onto my wrists and hands. Is there anything besides a towel that people use to prevent that? Would compression sleeves hold it off long enough for a wod? I'm not a fan of stopping, wiping, rechalking just to do one or 2 mu's then have to do it again.

Last edited by Shawn Casey : 07-21-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: cause I rock.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Ron Murray

Profile:
Re: Sweaty MU's

Strategically placed sweat bands (of larger variety) above the wrist and plenty of chalk are two ways to lessen the sweat. Ultimately though, depending on the athlete, I think sweat is just going to be an issue on the rings. A lot of times I notice it's not so much the sweat rolling down the arms, but the sweat picked up from the rings making contact with the body and the sweat coming off the hands after resting for a second and possibly grabbing your shorts or something similar which makes it way onto the rings eventually.

You may also consider taping the rings, but that's a preference thing, I think some find it helps too much and others find that it may produce more ripping.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I checked, it's rolling down from my armpits. Do I really have to look like a dork? I'm just saying, technology and everything. Haven't we come up from wrist bands? Chalk just gets clumpy and ends up being a hinderance.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Sheldon Danley

Profile:

Try taking some boxing/mma hand wraps, cut them down to about 2 feet long (2 feet from the velcro), stitch/singe the frayed ends. The material soaks up sweat really well and isn't as bulky and "dorky" looking as traditional sweat bands. They also double as decent wrist wraps for pressing movements. Just make sure you use a towel to wipe away any sweat during the WOD...I make the mistake all the time of using my shirt, but the sweat goes right through onto my hands and then I'm all slippery.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Ron Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Casey View Post
I checked, it's rolling down from my armpits. Do I really have to look like a dork? I'm just saying, technology and everything. Haven't we come up from wrist bands? Chalk just gets clumpy and ends up being a hinderance.
what are you looking for like some super hi-tech spray that Batman would have on his utility belt? lol...

honestly, just another one of those things where you have to dabble here and there until you find your groove. For me personally, I can't stand having anything on my wrists or the rings when I do the MU's, it's just uncomfortable for me, I like the more natural feel, a good amount of chalk and my boo bam I'm set.

as CF'ers though, I guess we should get used to being uncomfortable, that way we're a little bit more ready for anything.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Where does Batman buy this spray, I must have it.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Casey View Post
I wear wrist bands - are you saying that I look like a dork?

I work out in my garage w/ no AC or fans and it's over 90 degrees here (East TN). If I don't wear sweatbands then my risk of tearing goes up considerably. I got over the whole 'What are other people gonna think if I ___________________ ?' a long time ago. When I train, I have to do what I have to do to achieve the desired result - so, I wear wristbands. Not that big of deal IMO.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Jason Denny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
I wear wrist bands - are you saying that I look like a dork?

I work out in my garage w/ no AC or fans and it's over 90 degrees here (East TN). If I don't wear sweatbands then my risk of tearing goes up considerably. I got over the whole 'What are other people gonna think if I ___________________ ?' a long time ago. When I train, I have to do what I have to do to achieve the desired result - so, I wear wristbands. Not that big of deal IMO.
I'm going to end up doing the same thing. I am a heavy sweater. Even in air-conditioning, I will soak my clothes. I find it most problematic when I'm doing handstand push-ups. Chalk will turn to paste and my hands will slide on the floor. I've been considering my options and wristbands up near my elbows might help a lot.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Andy Post a pic. Is everyone taking the dork thing personal? No para-language in forums. I don't want to wear wrist bands, is that cool? I'm just saying that wristbands have been around for how long? I figured there'd be a smaller, high-speed version somewhere. anyways the adidas ones I have cut off the circulation on my forearms. I don't like having them on my wrists, it feels weird. I'll try the wraps.

Last edited by Shawn Casey : 07-22-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: 1
Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
David Sailor

Profile:

Wrist bands are the best solution I have found. Without them, unless it's a light volume of MU, tears are almost certain. Add in some humidity and they are a given. I have hockey tape on the rings for better grip but the downside of that is the increased friction against my wrists. The bands minimize the friction. I still occasionally get some rips, mostly from the bands sliding around and I didn't realize it.

That's the beauty of having a home gym, I don't care what I look like.