CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Nathan Krygier

Profile:
West Side v SS

Ive been reading a bit at tmuscle.com because I found a cross fit article there, and I ended up finding some threads where people are saying no to SS, that West Side for Skinny B's is far superior.

Do you at the cf main page find this to be the case? Their main criticism was that while with SS, dead lift and squats should sky rocket, it doesn't do much for upper body strength, while West Side will.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: West Side v SS

SS is also more of a program in the sense for Noobs to get them doing the main lifts as an introductory course, often on their own. Does WSBB teach that?

However, I am not familiar with WSBB for skinny B's. Hmm, well now I remember it.

WSBB for Skinny B's focuses more on developing upper body strength (2 out of 3 days training upper body) and only 1d/w of lower body stuff. It was noted that a 4th day of sled pulling or similar stuff can be done for off season or non athletes. It was also developed for athletes currently already training in their sport during the week. This isn't so much the case with SS (which is probably one of the reasons you need to reset so much because there is a helluva lot of work being done).

So more than likely they are flip flopped.

As well, the WSBB is probably more volume and maybe takes longer. Dunno. Probably takes more equipment.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Of course, 2 days a week are designated to upper body and only one for lower body in Defranco's program . It's a split that a Noob doesn't need. A noob needs to take advantage of being a noob by squatting 3 times a week. SS is best for those that don't have alot else to do. A football player mid season should probably look for another program.

Defranco doesn't teach skills, his job is to get athletes in there best condition in the shortest time possible. His programming reflex that. He also has a little bit of bodybuilding in his programming which Rip could give 2 ***** about.

I read and watch anything and everything that I can get my hands on from SS to WSFSB to westside methods to afterburn to crossfit to bodybuilding to Parisi speed training. SS is the best program for someone that can still benefit from noob strength and weight gains and has the opportunity to go jump on the couch and do nothing until it's time to train again. Defranco still has looks in mind with SB and Built like a bad ***. He also has alot of variety and filler that isn't nessessary for a noob.

SS is a stict program to squeeze every last bit of strength out of a noob and give them some solid weight gain as fast as possible. An upper and lower body split won't take advantage of that.

SB might be a good program for someone to follow after SS but, anyone that says SB is superior to SS clearly hasn't done SS long enough to benefit from it. Alot of folks don't have the patience to learn the powerclean and when they instantly can't do it the first time they try, they will go do rows or stuff using pullys. Big mistake. Take the time to learn the powerclean. It opens your world up to better, harder exercises(clean and snatch) which develops not only strength but accuracy and coordination. It stimulates your brain and nervous system and I believe it opens up gateways to mentally handle hard things in the gym and out.
  1. The powerclean is like the marijuana of the weightlifting world. It can lead to harder, mindblowing training experiences.
Most people who shun the powerclean because it's too hard don't tend to have the discipline to train hard period hence, SS is going to be too hard for them once they start developing some real strength anyways. Plus SS doesn't have any bicep curls in the curl rack.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Nathan Krygier

Profile:

I see, which explain why tmuscle.com users would prefer WSBB.

And that marijuana analogy is hilarious!
Old 04-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
William A Cantrell

Profile:

They will both have their respected flaws and strengths just dont try and mix and match pick a program and follow it. You will have the best progression and gains this way, everyone has a method to their maddness. I like the drug reference...to funny!
Old 04-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Nathan Krygier

Profile:

I certainly wouldn't mix the two programs. I would probably use SS, since I am still young and new to lifting.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Chris J Mason

Profile:

Follow a traditional Westside template and you will get as strong as you want to be. Those who claim it is not for beginners are truly ignorant on the topic. It really bothers me when people think that a program, solely because it is simple, is somehow better for beginners.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J Mason View Post
Follow a traditional Westside template and you will get as strong as you want to be. Those who claim it is not for beginners are truly ignorant on the topic. It really bothers me when people think that a program, solely because it is simple, is somehow better for beginners.

We're not talking about a traditional west side template though. I agree that you can start on a traditional west side template and get as strong as you want to be but, for a beginner to get a little barbell time, to get a little experience heavy lifting, to gain a little weight, plus they don't need the speed days. A 150 pound kid or someone that doesn't have that barbell time can benefit more from learning and feeling out those lifts without speed days and weakness training. I do a trad westside program and I did starting strength. No reason to fool around trying to figure out what exercises and all that when probably the best and fastest novice program for strength and weight gain is already made.

Personally I would mess with the original SS template and when you have that down, go with the Onus Wunsler. do your back offs when you need to and when the program is done get in the westside or whatever else you want.

I'm not saying beginners can't do westside, there's just smarter ways to go about it.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Either will work. One of the nice things about SS novice program is you don't have to think, and if you read the book and follow the program (with proper nutrition and not sabotaging your gains with other stuff) you will make progress. Learn the lifts, do them, add weight, see gains.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Nathan Krygier

Profile:

So, you mention proper diet. I know I have read that Rippetoe says to drink a ton of milk, this helps ensure my types get the needed calories and protein.

I am going to assume that running the SS program on a calorie deficit would be like trying to drive to Florida by going north. Or maybe I am wrong.