CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #21
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: What should I eat in 1 day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Nichols View Post
What about sunny-side up? Is that an acceptable way to cook eggs? I'm fine with scrambled, it gets so old, honestly, 'cause that's all they serve in the cafeterias.
Oh sure, however you like your eggs is fine. Scrambled just works well if you want to mix other stuff in and don't want to bother with an omelet.

Katherine
Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #22
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Nichols View Post
Am I underweight? I mean I do a lot of running, (19 min 5k, sub-5:30 mile) so I am just lean as a result. How much should I ideally weigh?
Thats kinda up to your goals. That said if you wanna gain weight you are going to have to eat ALOT all the running you do can hender weight and muscle gain. I would cut out alot of the (if not all) grains/starch/sugar carbs from your diet. Increase your Meat/egg/fat/veggie intake. Like its already been said concetrate on the five compounds also protien or even drinking milk can help you put on some weight but try and get most of your calories from whole foods.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #23
Lauren Faxel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I'm not as anti-grain as some people here, but I don't actually like egg sandwiches. I would have had three eggs, scrambled with some veggies, some ham or bacon, and lots of cheese.

Katherine
Hi there - just curious on your 'grain' thoughts, Katherine. I've been doing about 80-90% paleo for the last three weeks, and while I am happy with the three pounds I lost already, there are some times I'd love to have a sandwich :-)
Old 04-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #24
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Faxel View Post
Hi there - just curious on your 'grain' thoughts, Katherine. I've been doing about 80-90% paleo for the last three weeks, and while I am happy with the three pounds I lost already, there are some times I'd love to have a sandwich :-)
Some of the longest-lived cultures in the world have rice as a staple ingredient, so dismissing it as "not Paleo, therefore evil" clearly has more to do with dogma than with actual science. I have yet to see a convincing argument for the elimination of rice.

There's more science supporting the anti-wheat position, since gluten sensitivity is pretty common. Still, the Mediterranean diet also supports a pretty long-lived culture, and they've been eating wheat in that part of the world for a long time, so if you personally are not gluten-sensitive (I'm not), I don't see any reason to avoid it. The problem is that typical American sandwich bread would be unrecognizable as food to a traditional Greek, Italian, or Middle Eastern cook. Buy a good artisan bread, or bake your own.

Similarly, I don't have a problem with corn, provided it's presented as corn, not as corn-based Frankenfood out of a laboratory at ADM. Corn meal, corn flour, corn on the cob, fine. High fructose corn syrup, corn gluten, etc? Run far away.

The other problem with grains in general is that they are calorie-dense and have a high glycemic index. As I've posted elsewhere, I think insulin-management worries are mostly overblown. Still, grains are best eaten in conjunction with other foods, so as do moderate their absorption by the body. And moderate portion sizes if you're limiting your calories and/or carbs.

Katherine
Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #25
Lauren Faxel

Profile:

Thanks! :-) I was beginning to wonder about those cultures that have been around for so long...
Old 04-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #26
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Eat your entire refrigerator, rinse and repeat till desired strength and weight are gained.

And squatting deep[/below parallel] is not the CF way, it's the only way to go.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #27
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Faxel View Post
Thanks! :-) I was beginning to wonder about those cultures that have been around for so long...
You might just want to fool around with you're diet and find what works well with you. I function really well on a low carb strict paleo diet and I found that out after years of experimenting. I also know that the Paleo diet has worked well for many others that I see every day. I have steady strength, conditioning and muscle gain which some say shouldn't happen on a strict low carb paleo diet. I ballooned up quick with a quart of milk a day and starting strength. I tend to feel lethargic and just get fat with higher carbs. Most of my food is meat, animal fat, coconut products, palm oil, olive oil and one solid veggie meal a day. Lots of bacon and eggs. Research aside, I believe the paleo diet is the answer and it works really good for me. It just gets better as I move to better quality foods, too. I'm 30 lbs lighter than I was when I ended starting strength and my heavy lifts are actually moving in leaps and bounds without the milk. My recovery is also great. Just because other cultures live well on it doesn't mean it's optimal for them or you, since this is what most of us are going for, optimal.