CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Brian Dolan

Profile:
Just a question on todays WOD TSE

Quote:
"Tabata Something Else"

Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

Post total reps from all 32 intervals to comments.
Just wondering what my fellow "Lone Crossfitters" not at an affiliate and no partners do to keep track? I usually just go through the WOD and do it as best I can, but don't really track EACH rep in each interval. I have enough on my plate simply doing the WOD, not falling over, and keeping an eye on my stopwatch. I figure my current way of tracking progress is just seeing how well I get through the WOD and trying for minimal stops, and how I feel at the end.

I know I'm hedging it a bit, but I'm not really competing with anyone other than myself, So I figure as long as I'm getting the WOD in, I'm doing OK.

Thoughts?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Luke Hale

Profile:
Re: Just a question on todays WOD TSE

I had an idea the other day whilst doing Fight Gone Bad on my own - though I was at the gym - would probably be more appropriate for those doing the WODs at home or if you don't mind looking completely insane at the globo (though most globo rats probably think all CFers are insane anyway!)

Anyway, the idea was to use a dictaphone or voice recorder function on your phone etc etc ...even an old cassette recorder would do!!

...then you can just leave it running and shout out your reps, then play it back after and write it all down - and probably laugh at how wrecked you sound too!

Haven't tried it but I bet it works and would allow you to focus on the WOD itself!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Reagan Elsbury

Profile:

Well in the case of Tabata Something Else and Fight Gone bad I use some of the mp3's on my iPod that have been posted on the board with chimes/tones/buzzers at the intervals so I don't have to look at my watch. I've tried each with just a watch and there's no comparison. On Tabata Something Else I have my paper right next to me so I can write down my reps after each 20 second interval. For FGB I just count the total reps in my head for each 5 minute round and write it down after each round is completed. It usually works really well.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

At the affiliate I used to attend, we used chalk to write our reps on the floor next to you. Everyone kept track of their own scores, and it worked pretty well. We had a timer that beeped the intervals though. Having to look at a clock would make it harder. There is no way I could keep track in my head.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
John Devine

Profile:

A couple of suggestions...first of all, don't check your watch. As you alluded to, it's difficult to maintain the desired intensity when you keep looking at your wrist. And it's the gut wrenching intensity that makes CF effective.

I just started using the Gymboss interval timer and it worked great. ($30) In addition to timing the intervals it also tracks the rounds. (Was that my 6th or 7th round or pull ups?) Before that, I used my Timex Ironman and set the interval timer for 30 secs. The beep last 10 seconds so you just rest while it's beeping. My problem was it wasn't loud enough.

For FGB, I use a small whiteboard (what else would I use?) and write the reps as I transition. I spend enough time gasping for air so it doesn't effect my score. For TSE it's a bit tougher. I was actually consistent with my squats and sit ups so that was easy to remember but pull ups and push ups...not so much. I guesstimated a few rounds and remembered a few. I'm sure I'm close enough to compare with the next time I do it.

Hope this helps.

-jd
Old 08-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Brendan Beely

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan Elsbury View Post
Well in the case of Tabata Something Else and Fight Gone bad I use some of the mp3's on my iPod that have been posted on the board with chimes/tones/buzzers at the intervals so I don't have to look at my watch. I've tried each with just a watch and there's no comparison. On Tabata Something Else I have my paper right next to me so I can write down my reps after each 20 second interval. For FGB I just count the total reps in my head for each 5 minute round and write it down after each round is completed. It usually works really well.
I do something very similar. I fire up the laptop, and play the FGB or TSE tracks in a minimized player, and leave open an excel sheet. As soon as the music changes, I just hit the number, hit enter, and I'm good to go.