CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #21
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: Best MMA for police officers

I've trained with many LEO's over the years. IMO I think Krav Maga, and Judo are the best for LEO, combined with some Kali. BJJ is great for MMA combat, but in LEO, while wearing all that gear (belt, baton, gun, tazer, pepper spray, walkie talkie, etc) and the hard, crappy surfaces of the street, most LEO's I know aren't comfy with the idea of "pulling guard" or ever being in a situation in which a suspect might be on top of them going for a gun. Having worked as a bouncer, I can tell you, 99% of people don't know how to take a fall properly, a well executed hip throw, or sweep will knock them down hard, and make detaining them pretty easy. In Japan, the police there do Tai Ho Jutsu, which is basically a no gi version of Judo, that has more submission and restraining holds, and is pretty nasty stuff.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
Kevin Hewell

Profile:

I would recommend any of the arts that combine both stand up techniques as well as grappling/submissions(i.e. MMA, Krav Maga, Kali, Jeet Kune Do). My school offers BJJ and Jeet Kune Do which gives a good mix. I am a firefighter and while I am not is as dangerous situations as police I still like to feel comfortable around patients that are intoxicated or have been involved in assaults or may be involved in crimes. I think all martial arts training is beneficial but something with disarms and joint locks is best. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #23
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Chris,

What works in the cage will also work on the streets. Regarding unarmed combat If you don't regualrly see it in the cage then it problably will not actually work. Don't fall for the hype. The great thing about BJJ is that it can be practiced at 100% effort often without sustaining injuries. The soft arts and non-arts that cannot be practiced are great, but if they cannot be practiced how are you supposed to...well practice them? And if you cant practice long and hard at something you wont become good at it. Also, like many have pointed out many techniques are illegal for law enforcement because of public perception and legalities. Arts that teach things that can not be applied in the cage because the are too dangerous WILL NOT be allowed in any level of force untl deadly force,and when deadly force is authorized you always have your service weapon. (I know there are what if scenarios but lets train for what you will deal with 95% of the time) Find a school where people of your age and with similar goals to you train. You will naturally want to learn standing attacks/defense, Grappling techniques, takedowns/takedown defense and you will need to be versed in strike to the point where you can take a strike without being taken out.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #24
James lee

Profile:

Any MA or MMA type of learning will always help as long as you know to use what works for you and not use what does not.

One thing great about Krav Maga "Force Training" is that it specifically deals with LEO in mine and covers things that will not be covered in most of the other arts such as weapon retention, arrest and control, etc...

As one of the prior post stated...last thing you want to do is grapple with someone with your gear on.

If it was me, i would take Krav maga for specific training for self defense and LEO tatics along with BJJ and MT for ground and striking. Krav maga does have alot of ground and striking but mostly the basics. Nothing fancy....but basics always win the fight.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #25
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

The beauty of Krav Maga, is that it's based in simplicity,and people's natural reactions to things. It isn't flashy or showy, or esoteric,