CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
James R. Shaw

Profile:
Question Supple Leopard/Mobility WOD

OK,

I loved the book, but I feel overwhelmed! I don't mind saying that one of the things I love about Crossfit.com is that I don't have to think much about programming. Well, when it comes to mobility, I don't know where to begin?! If I commit 20-30 minutes every morning to preventive maintenance using Supple Leopard as my guide, how do I order my "workouts?" A different day for each major body group? Alternating upper/lower body? A core group of key "everyday" work with some maintenance specific additions to deal with tweaks that come up? What do you do? How do you MOB??

Thanks!
Rob
Old 03-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Supple Leopard/Mobility WOD

Work your way through the book. Take your time to try out mobility for each area of the body. You'll either find, "Wow! That really worked an area I didn't know was an issue," or "That didn't do much for me." Keep the good stuff in your regular routine. Some mobility should be a part of any warmup. I also like to have a day a couple times a month that my workout is all mobility - 30 to 45 minutes to use all the good stuff that makes a difference for me - and no other workout that day.

After you've done that for a while (maybe a year or more), revisit all the other stuff that didn't work the first time around. See if anything else piques your interest to add to your routine. As your athletic ability improves and changes, your mobility needs will also change.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
Rob Beck

Profile:

Good idea Chris. I've been wondering the same thing...can't do every body part every day. I also do full day of mobility maybe once every other week. Seems to do the trick. But if I go a few days without hitting a certain area like hips or IT, it suffers. I guess you have to feel it out, which is basically what you're saying.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
William Hoke

Profile:

CF.com shows what the WOD is the night before...usually 8 p.m. ET.

I'm pretty sure the Supple Leopard text states that you should mobilize the night before, for the areas you know you are going to hit (ex. legs for squats).

If you are looking for a general mobility sequence without a target area that you are going to be calling on in a WOD, then that would be to hit your sticky spots.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:19 AM   #5
Alex Burden

Profile:

I have the book and I use it take specific movements to the next level.

I never know how long I will do it for or when, I just do it. I can sit in front of the TV in the evening and floss body parts for 5min here and 5 min there.

If I have a sticky area I will work on that a little more but no specific routine.

Rather than go all in from the start I started testing it, getting the feel of things and how much or little I could take and built up from there.

What I have found is that I can do it at work too, 2min here, 5min there basically anywhere.

Start off slow and learn what your body needs and how it reacts, do not over do it and try and do this 40min a day because in the end it will be too much and you will get bored. Much better to do a little all of the time than nothing for a long time.

Good luck