CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
John R Brown

Profile:
How is Rx Determined?

I've first started CrossFit about 3 years ago and I've always wondered how Rx is determined?

Do all Rx's come from CrossFit, or are some determined at the box level? How about named WOD's? For instance, how is the mens Rx of 95 determined for Fran?

Any insight would be appreciated, it's been surprisingly difficult to find out. Hopefully someone here can help.

Thanks-JB
Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: How is Rx Determined?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R Brown View Post
Do all Rx's come from CrossFit, or are some determined at the box level?
Whoever comes up with the WOD gets to determine what is RXd.

Quote:
How about named WOD's?
Same deal. Whoever comes up with it, be it a named WOD or not, determines what is RX.

Quote:
For instance, how is the mens Rx of 95 determined for Fran?
The "how" for determining RX comes in large part from having lots of programming experience and know-how and knowing who will be doing the workout. So, the 95# thruster weight for Fran was most likely derived by some evil genius (i.e. b___ard) wanting to find a somewhat quick, somewhat heavy push-pull WOD requiring just a bar, bumpers, and pullups.

Had the objective been a slower, heavier WOD, then perhaps Fran's prescription might have been 135# and strict pullups, but that's not the goal. Similarly, they could have made it faster and lighter with lighter thrusters and jumping pullups, but again that's not the goal.

The answer/prescription lies in knowing what the goal is and then having the know-how and experience to meet it.

Quote:
Any insight would be appreciated, it's been surprisingly difficult to find out.
There's no single simple answer for the question, aside from to say what I wrote above. Other better programmers will probably be able to state it more effectively though.

- Mark
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
John R Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Whoever comes up with the WOD gets to determine what is RXd.

Same deal. Whoever comes up with it, be it a named WOD or not, determines what is RX.

The "how" for determining RX comes in large part from having lots of programming experience and know-how and knowing who will be doing the workout. So, the 95# thruster weight for Fran was most likely derived by some evil genius (i.e. b___ard) wanting to find a somewhat quick, somewhat heavy push-pull WOD requiring just a bar, bumpers, and pullups.

Had the objective been a slower, heavier WOD, then perhaps Fran's prescription might have been 135# and strict pullups, but that's not the goal. Similarly, they could have made it faster and lighter with lighter thrusters and jumping pullups, but again that's not the goal.

The answer/prescription lies in knowing what the goal is and then having the know-how and experience to meet it.

There's no single simple answer for the question, aside from to say what I wrote above. Other better programmers will probably be able to state it more effectively though.

- Mark
Thanks Mark, much appreciated.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Dakota Base

Profile:

Wow, I really didn't expect such a straightforward and sarcasm-free response from Mark on this question.

But like Mark said, WOD's, and RX'd numbers for which, are all basically just pulled straight out of their respective programmer's... um... ear... What makes a good WOD and well prescribed RX'd weights is the amount of experience and intelligence put into the programming. What makes a bad WOD is inexperience and a failure to intelligently consider the intensity of the WOD as programmed.

For example: I train on holidays with younger cousins and nephews, that make up a lot of their own WOD's. These guys, 16-20yrs old, have no idea how to program, so they generally either program way too light of weight for a given number of weights, or more often, WAY WAY WAY too much weight for a given volume (Like doing a 90min AMRAP of burpees with a 20lb weight vest). Either they don't get a good work out, or they make up something that's impossible, or just plain too intense for safety or sensibility (i.e. recovery time is just too long for progress).

Or take King Kong for example. King Kong is obviously not meant for your average Joe at just any ol' Box. Repeating 3 heavy singles of 455lb deadlifts and 3 heavy triples of 250lb Squat Cleans requires a male athlete of 180ish pounds bodyweight or more with a very advanced level of strength. The weight of most other WOD's are difficult, but manageable for most athletes after some time of Crossfit training. Performing a RX'd King Kong might not be attainable for an athlete, ever.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Wow, I really didn't expect such a straightforward and sarcasm-free response from Mark on this question.
My account got hacked. Violators have been prosecuted.

- Mark
Old 10-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
John R Brown

Profile:

Thanks guys for your replies, makes total sense. I had wondered if there was some magic matrix out there somewhere, accessible only to coaches, or some formula. Makes sense that it would come from the programmer. Guess that's probably a kind of art after awhile.