CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Josh Deets

Profile:
Re: Wendler Program for Olympic Lifts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
I tried it once, but quickly stopped. It may be OK for the power versions but goes completely against the notion of Snatch in 2's and Clean in 3's.
It would work well for accessories though - like OHS and FS.
It makes more sense to follow a Oly lifting template (like Catalyst Athletics etc), than bastardize a rep scheme to get stronger in the power lifts.
Sorry- I'm a newb... Snatch in 2's clean in 3's... Is that common wisdom in Oly lifting or what? I realize the 531 would be a bit much for Oly, but I appreciate Wendlers approach in his e book. Is there something similar(literature wise) for Oly? I'm trying to find a way to incorporate Oly and power lifting. The 2 day 531 gives me enough rest and open days to do so. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
Tom Reyes

Profile:

For strictly Oly Lifts, you'll want to take a look at the Joe Mills 20/20 program.
Google it. It works! Just like linear progression or Wendler for the power lifts, only taylored for the Oly lifts.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
Jason Denny

Profile:

Can you not use the 5-3-1 for getting stronger, doing deadlifts, back squats, and presses? Getting stronger in these will let you go heavier in the C&J and the snatch.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deets View Post
Sorry- I'm a newb... Snatch in 2's clean in 3's... Is that common wisdom in Oly lifting or what?
In a word, yes.

Triples are the most i would ever do of any oly lift. If you want to get stronger at the lifts, follow Prelpin's Table. One heavy day at each lift, one speed day at each lift every week.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
No one should be doing Olympic lifts for plus sets. That's a good way to get your clients injured. Programs like 5/3/1 and Juggernaut are geared towards hypertrophy; that's not the training response you want to be focusing on when programming Olympic lifts; they're just not suitable for that purpose. Olympic lifts are explosive high skill movements; their purpose in training is to develop explosive speed and power. Using them in a protocol intended to maximize muscle fatigue is not only counterproductive , it's a recipe for disaster.
5/3/1 is not geared toward hypertrophy. It is a minimalist strength program not a bodybuilding routine.

I will agree it isn't the best Oly program or specific for that goal but as Wendler notes it can be worked in for general purposes. It wouldn't be dangerous if implemented how he advises.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deets View Post
Sorry- I'm a newb... Snatch in 2's clean in 3's... Is that common wisdom in Oly lifting or what? I realize the 531 would be a bit much for Oly, but I appreciate Wendlers approach in his e book. Is there something similar(literature wise) for Oly? I'm trying to find a way to incorporate Oly and power lifting. The 2 day 531 gives me enough rest and open days to do so. Thanks in advance!
If you want to combine Oly and PL, I would take a look at Pendlay's program for the supertotal (combined Oly total and PL total). It's 4 days a week with 2 days Oly and 2 days PL.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #17
Josh Deets

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
If you want to combine Oly and PL, I would take a look at Pendlay's program for the supertotal (combined Oly total and PL total). It's 4 days a week with 2 days Oly and 2 days PL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
In a word, yes.

Triples are the most i would ever do of any oly lift. If you want to get stronger at the lifts, follow Prelpin's Table. One heavy day at each lift, one speed day at each lift every week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reyes View Post
For strictly Oly Lifts, you'll want to take a look at the Joe Mills 20/20 program.
Google it. It works! Just like linear progression or Wendler for the power lifts, only taylored for the Oly lifts.
Thanks very much for the info!!I will checkout all three.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Paulo Santos

Profile:

If you want to add Olympic lifts into 5/3/1, you just have to do them before your Squats and Deadlift days as your warm-up to work your technique. Use light weight and you can do things like 3-position cleans or 3-position snatches. As you get stronger with your power lifts, you will also get stronger with your Olympic lifts. It isn't complicated.