CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #31
Will Thorsen

Profile:
Re: AF/Klokov stuff

Part 2 -

Below are pictures of the end of the barbell. I know that the dings and scratches will likely have no impact on the function of the barbell, but there are definitely signs that the barbell kissed some concrete without sufficient protection. It's not the end of the world, but I know that it can be done better than it was. For under $350, if it lives up to it's specs (and I don't doubt it does), it's still a great deal, as long as you know that it might not be as pretty as you might expect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2860.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	13706  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2862.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	13707  
Old 01-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #32
Tim Robinson

Profile:

Looks nothing like how the evolution bar I ordered from Again Faster was packed. Cardboard tube with metal ends and those metal ends secured by wire. Something tells me that on the way to your house that bar, for one reason or another, was re-packed.

Also ordered a Klokov on Dec 19 but have heard nothing yet -- no tracking email to date. Be interested to hear how others' bars were packed.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #33
Bryan Selent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Robinson View Post
Looks nothing like how the evolution bar I ordered from Again Faster was packed. Cardboard tube with metal ends and those metal ends secured by wire. Something tells me that on the way to your house that bar, for one reason or another, was re-packed..
This.
Shipping companies re-pack items all the time.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #34
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

Not sure how to embed these, tried the [img] but didn't work. Here's a couple links to the bar pics

http://i.imgur.com/T1XSAbi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qk6cW2P.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5c6b97w.jpg

Wfs

The knurl is very nice and even though it doesn't quite reach the collars, it is a very small amount and I grip collar to collar and can't feel it

Last edited by Andrew Daggon : 01-11-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #35
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Daggon View Post
Not sure how to embed these, tried the [img] but didn't work. Here's a couple links to the bar pics

http://i.imgur.com/T1XSAbi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qk6cW2P.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5c6b97w.jpg

Wfs

The knurl is very nice and even though it doesn't quite reach the collars, it is a very small amount and I grip collar to collar and can't feel it

Is the top bar in the first pic the new team AF 2.0 bar? If so, how does the knurl and spin compare to the Klokov?

Second question... How passive is the center knurl on the bar? Can I still do high rep cleans or thrusters and not get scuffed up bad, but have good grip on back squats and heaver front work, similar to the Chan bar?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #36
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
Is the top bar in the first pic the new team AF 2.0 bar? If so, how does the knurl and spin compare to the Klokov?

Second question... How passive is the center knurl on the bar? Can I still do high rep cleans or thrusters and not get scuffed up bad, but have good grip on back squats and heaver front work, similar to the Chan bar?
The top bar is the black manganese rep fitness excalibur bar and the middle is the bright zinc 15kg excalibur bar

The center knurl on the klokov bars is a little bit softer than the outer knurling, but far from passive. I've felt it on 2 or 3 cleans, but I use them every day and follow Olympic lifting programming, so 2 or 3 times in a few weeks isn't too bad, I don't think it would be an issue for power cleans or thrusters in a metcon, but it's definitely not passive
Old 01-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #37
Thomas gianakos

Profile:

Received mine in the later days of last week. I can say my boxing of the bar was excellent. Cardboard tube with metal caps at each end secured with wire. Inside the metal caps was a substantial amount of foam. The bar was then inside a clear plastic baggy.

Thoughts so far.
I worked on cleans, clean and jerks, and some light snatching.
One thing I noticed was the thing is definitely brand new. It had a slight bit of machine grease feel to it. A bit of chalk seemed to mitigate this, but still felt slightly slick on the snatch. This isn't to say the knurl isn't plenty aggressive and balanced. I think some more use and chalk will take care of it. Used an again faster WL bearing bar the other day. I think I prefer the AF knurl

I like the whip. Does feel stiff on the lighter weights >225, but starts to get going from there.
Center knurl did leave a little mark on my neck but subsided a bit later.

Will post more updates as the use increases.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #38
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Jon,

Any idea when the 20kg bar will be back in stock?

I just found out about these yesterday, and I liked my original AF bar so much, I really want one of these.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #39
Struan Potter

Profile:

Mine has had about a month of use. It does the job really well, but I think it spins too freely, which has caused some issues when pulling under the bar, particularly with cleans. I'm no longer bothered by the light knurling.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #40
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
Mine has had about a month of use. It does the job really well, but I think it spins too freely, which has caused some issues when pulling under the bar, particularly with cleans. I'm no longer bothered by the light knurling.
That's a problem I've never heard someone having. The spin should help in pulling under. Interesting.