CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Jeff Stanek

Profile:
Rogue HG collars breaking

Is anyone else having issues with the HG collars (with the red release button)?

We've had 3 of them break so far in less than 6 months- two along the plastic outer ring, and one along a support joint. We usually notice them after the workouts when we're stripping the bars.

Oh, and we are only using Rogue bars and HG plates right now.

Just wanna see if it's common or not. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Tim Trujillo

Profile:
Re: Rogue HG collars breaking

They are junk, but Rogue stands behind them. You just get stuck paying return shipping. I don't think they hold very well either. They tend to slip allot even on new bars, but they look cooler than spring clips. I don't know what works better at this point.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

I agree. All of ours have broken. Rogue says they will replace them but it's not really worth the return shipping. We already have enough spring collars plus for all our bars plus we have a pair of competition spin lock collars. You can't use more collars than bars.

Last edited by Brad Gerbrandt : 12-10-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Greg Light

Profile:

Have these all been purchased recently? I've had mine for about 3 years with everyday use and I've never had any issue.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
William Henniger

Profile:

The engineer behind the collars is always working to make them better. It is very difficult to absorb the force of a dropped bar into a plastic collar.

Depending on the plastic mix we have seen spikes in warranty issues, that is why we replace them without question. He is working on a set with aluminum in them that should be nice but will cost more.

For a while they were clamping so hard that we were replacing barbells, the force of a drop has to go some where and it was going into the snap rings. We changed all of our bars over to a 1/4" stop plate inside the sleeve.

It is like anything else the force will find the weakest link in the chain.

Great feedback and I am always trying to improve all the items we carry. Taking them on/off quickly and having them hold the weight has been the driver, now we are working on making them stand the beatings that CrossFit dishes out.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:

While he's at it, why not make the collar take up less horizontal space on the bar? The contact surface is only an inch while the full collar is almost two inches wide. Put the rubber holding structures on top of the rubber contacts instead of on the sides. Sleeve space is precious.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I have multiple sets that I have had since 2010. 1000's of drops, Very heavy weight on bar, lots of people using. Also, in a garage that gets quite cold in the winter. I personally have never had an issue with them breaking. That being said, I have heard from a lot that they do break. Maybe they are luck of the draw?

One complaint I have (which is noted above by someone else) is that they do definitely move a lot (Have to readjust after a couple of drops). However, I fixed that issue by doubling up HG collars.
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

We had one of our HG collars break. I contacted Rogue customer service via chat. They said to send it back with the original order number. Postage + a few days turn around + new set of collars.

It may have been a bad batch at the time, but with a no questions asked policy like that at Rogue, no big deal.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Theo Tsekouras

Profile:

Gang,
Clamps aren't designed to take the repetitive force that CrossFit entails. If it was just the slow lifts, they would last forever, we use bothe the muscle clamp version and clamp version from rogue. In the last 2 years we have about 8 sets breaks, but usually one at a time. You toss and throw out. Nothing you can do. Bill is right, unless you have spin collars on each bar, expect wear and tear.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Adam Kryskow

Profile:

We have had multiples from Rogue break and I find it a little strange that we have to pay for shipping to return back what appears to be faulty (they lasted less than 6 months) equipment. We also had to pay to return ring straps where the velcro pieces were apparently sewn through so they ripped off almost immediately (within 30 days of purchase).

Our days of being a Rogue outfitted affiliate are over.