CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Seth Church

Profile:
Anything bad to say about The Rogue Bar?

I've done lots of research, asked a few people, and contacted one gentleman at Rogue about which bar for me. I have a crappy 31mm bar that came with steel plates which works very well for bench press and squats, but is trash for doing olympic lifts. So I have decided to get a Rogue bar because everything i have read sounds like it will be good for me and I've used one a few times and loved it. Does anybody have anything negative about a Rogue bar before I go buy one? Just wanted to see if anybody had a bad experience/tips/warnings they wanted to share.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Anything bad to say about The Rogue Bar?

It has worked very well for me at my strength and skill level. I've gotten a chance to use some decent (albeit rather old) Eleiko bars at the weightlifting gym I recently joined and can say with some degree of certainty that I don't notice much if any difference between them and Rogue with my relatively paltry 87/105 kg total.

If that's where your budget puts you, that's about as good as you can do for that price.

If you want to spring for a bit more, good things have been said about Pendlay HD bars or Rep Fitness Excalibur bars.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Seth Church

Profile:

Thanks, man.
If I had some extra money I would without a doubt get a Pendlay nexgen bearing bar (the one with the cursive writing on the side.) We have one at our gym, Crossfit Charlotte, and everyone fights over it. Just for home use though i think I'll go with the Rogue Bar.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

It's a good choice. I've let my affiliate borrow it a couple times and everybody drools over it compared to our plain jane York bars. They ask me how much it cost and then think it's expensive until I tell them that real weightlifting bars can cost north of $1000...
Old 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Joey Allen

Profile:

The Rogue bar is an excellent choice for home use. Good at pretty much everything. Are you looking at the Rogue Ohio Bar too? I would definitely spend the extra $8 to get the Ohio Bar. It supposedly has better fit and finish. It's newer too so I'm sure it uses all their best tech. I'm seriously thinking about picking up the Black Oxide Ohio Bar for a second bar.. it's just so purdy. ha.
Good luck.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I have 5 Rogue bars and 10 of their Beater bars at my gym.
The guys who know better run to grab them when we're working Sn/C&J.
Those who don't know the difference don't really care.
I think they're pretty good. Definitely better than the beater. Though, I must say that even the beater bar isn't a bad choice if cost is a big factor.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Good timing for the topic. I just sold my Rogue and Castro bars. I had them for 17 months, and they have not held up nearly as well as the HD Pendlay bars that I've had for 4 years. Sold them both, and got to new HD bars. If $100 is going to break you, then I'd go for the Rogue, if not, I'd go with the Pendlay bar....plus I'm pretty sure MDUSA has free shipping on the bars now.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I would buy a Pendlay HD bar for similar money as well. I have a Rogue bar. It is good but I prefer the Pendlay.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
Brendan Rabadi

Profile:  

Nothing bad to say about the Rogue bar per say, but every one of our customers who has purchased a Pendlay HD bar has raved about it. It is a little more expensive, comes with the lifetime limited warranty (as does the Rogue Bar I believe), but it is a pure 28mm bar which many people really like for many reasons.

So many choices out there, really comes down to how good you want to go for your own personal home gym. Some people prefer to spoil themselves a little at home and leave the beater bars to their box. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Christopher D Lee

Profile:

Pendlay bar for the win!!! Just snagged two for $200 off craigslist and laughed my way to the gym =P