CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Allison Ruvo

Profile:
Sick and Bummed Out :(

Last week I started to get a sore throat, and since I am still a smoker (I Know, I Know) I figured it was possibly from that. However, through the week, I noticed I was losing energy and toward the end of the week getting a runny nose. Since I am new to CF (just completed my first month ), I did 3 WOD's and after my WOD on Saturday morning, I biked 2 miles with my daughter, did a crossfit inspired obstacle course with her, and then walked approx 3 miles at the park. Well, on Sunday, I was SPENT. I thought my body just needed a day of recovery and I was thinking I over did it on Saturday. BUT, here we are on Tuesday and I have missed 1 WOD and will miss tomorrow too I am taking antibiotics only because I want this to pass so I can join the group again. Does anyone have any suggestions in getting better sooner as I would like to do Fri and Sat class, but I dont want to go back too soon or take off much more time
I read alot on the forum on Monday and most everyone had posted to def not work out while sick. But how do I gage when to go back? Currently my mind is hell bent on going and my body right now is in disagreement with that
Any suggestions are appreciated. I am assuming it is a cold, but could it be that I did infact over do it and now I am paying for it?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Terry Gibbs

Profile:
Re: Sick and Bummed Out :(

why are you taking antibiotics ????

just rest, and start back slow, build up gradually.

you now know you can do it,

just take it slower

good luck
Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Ruvo View Post
Last week I started to get a sore throat, and since I am still a smoker (I Know, I Know) I figured it was possibly from that. However, through the week, I noticed I was losing energy and toward the end of the week getting a runny nose. Since I am new to CF (just completed my first month ), I did 3 WOD's and after my WOD on Saturday morning, I biked 2 miles with my daughter, did a crossfit inspired obstacle course with her, and then walked approx 3 miles at the park. Well, on Sunday, I was SPENT. I thought my body just needed a day of recovery and I was thinking I over did it on Saturday. BUT, here we are on Tuesday and I have missed 1 WOD and will miss tomorrow too I am taking antibiotics only because I want this to pass so I can join the group again. Does anyone have any suggestions in getting better sooner as I would like to do Fri and Sat class, but I dont want to go back too soon or take off much more time
I read alot on the forum on Monday and most everyone had posted to def not work out while sick. But how do I gage when to go back? Currently my mind is hell bent on going and my body right now is in disagreement with that
Any suggestions are appreciated. I am assuming it is a cold, but could it be that I did infact over do it and now I am paying for it?
Antibiotics kill EVERYTHING, even the good stuff. Really bad idea to take them unnecessarily.

Symptoms like a sore throat, muscle aches, fever, runny nose are the way your body deals with getting rid of an illness. Unless you are completely miserable, it's best to SLEEP/rest and eat a lot of good food to help you get over an illness.

Long intense workouts are pretty taxing to your immune system anyway, which is probably why you felt worse the day after yours.

There is no benefit to pushing through being sick, and you are doing yourself no favors especially if you feel run down and achy. Take a few days.

Also, you know what I'm going to say about the smoking, so I won't even bother, but in regards to sinus and nasal issues, have you tried dropping dairy from your diet?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Bill Jones

Profile:

I just recently got back inot crossfit after being away for far too long, but

When I first started crossfit I smoked the first several months and I noticed after wods I had a runny nose, sore throat , and cough. Every symtom of a cold basically. In my efforts to stop smoking I noticed when I had gone smoke free for a while and did the wods, I still felt beat and had some lagging symptoms like a cough etc after wods, but nothing like when I smoked.

I noticed that while doing crossfit on a regular basis and still smoking, I constantly felt like I had a cold, and the symptoms all started after doing wods, and were worse on evenings I worked out.

Whenever I took time off from crossfit I felt better
When I actually stopped smoking for over a month and did crossfit I didnt notice these symptoms. I'd still cough and be out of breath for a bit after wods, but nothing like when I was smoking.

I'm now just starting up again with wods and trying to stop smoking. I can tell you from experience until you have not smoked for awhile you will feel sick after the workouts. Your breathing heavy and smoking causes the respiratory system to fill with gunk, and working out lossens everything up. so you caugh it up, and it causes a sore throat etc....
Old 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Taking antibiotics when you don't have a bacterial infection diagnosed by a physician is a profoundly stupid idea. It is more likely to make you sicker, by both contributing to antibiotic-resistance and killing off all the good bacteria in your body.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Allison Ruvo

Profile:

@ emily - the doctor did prescribe me the antibiotics, I do have Lupus, so I am not sure if my immune system is just plain ol' shot,but I dont think I have any of the GOOD things left since I am auto immune....who the hell knows tho since all Dr's I have seen pretty much contradict what I have read etc. Anyhow I dont really know what I had, but I am still not 100% yet. Its hard to tell, being that I was only diagnosed about a year ago if I am having a lupus flare, or am legitametly sick (with my flare ups I am SEVERLY tired, unmotivated, and achy all over). I know and try to as much as I can stay away from ANY meds that are not natural, however, I went to my primary doctor (which I rarely do) because I wanted to get better quickly so I could go back to CF. I know, stupid idea, CF will ALWAYS be there and resting is normal, I get than NOW!

@megan - I have taken the Paleo route and have elimated most dairy. The reason I say most, is that I am sure there are things I am unaware of that I am eating or drinking that could have dairy in there. For example, my protein shake has lectin, which I know is a form of dairy. Otherwise, the general milk, creams, butters, cheeses, etc I have stayed away from and I will be quitting soon, see my response to Bill. Thanks you for your input regardless, its much appreciated.

@bill - thats very interesting and although it may seen obvious to a non-smoker, ("like DUH of course you will feel that way!!"), as a smoker, you don't really think about those negative effects that smoking have on you and your body. I def cut down ALOT, especially on my days I do my WOD. In fact, I used to be a "walk out of the gym and light a cigarette kind of person" (I know girls, Im not TRYING to be Gross, SORRY) and when I do my WOD's I dont smoke for AT LEAST 3 or 4 hours. I cant, my body seriously does not crave it and if my mind does, my body says NO WAY! And I notice on the days I do WOD that I smoke at least 50% LESS. Well, today was my first WOD since Sat when I apparently over did it and let me tell you....I was soooo out of breath. Like asthmatic freak out of breath! And that started within 1 or 2 minutes of warm up!! My coach knew I was sick earlier this week, so I only 3 rounds rather than 5 of our WOD, and although I felt after round 3 I could do another round and maybe even squeeze out the 5th, I didnt do it. 4 or 5 minutes into my cooling down, I felt shaky and out of breath and just plain ol weird. On the way home, I had this profound realization that MAYBE, just MAYBE I feel like this because of smoking. I really want to quit now, and its funny that getting diagnosed with a serious auto immune disorder didn't stop me dead in my tracks to fully give up the awful habit (although I did try once or twice), but wanting to succeed in CF with my WOD and be able to row and run faster and easier gives me the ambition to not smoke. I'll take it, because unfortunately I have quit many addictive things in my life such as drugs and alcohol but these damn cigarettes are the toughest thing. I AM trying though, I just need to (DO instead of TRY; which begins tomorrow. In all serious, I am going to quit. Wish me Luck! And thanks for the advice
Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Whoa whoa whoa.

I say this with a loving, online, slap upside the head -- Way to sneak in "oh btw I have lupus" where you think we won't see it!

I know you know it already so I'm just reinforcing - you have an autoimmune disease. Your diet needs to be 110% and those cigarettes need to be in. the. trash. yesterday.

ANY food that could trigger an inflammatory response (dairy, gluten, sugar, nightshades, eggs) needs to be cut out of your diet for a significant amount of time. I would say at least a couple of months. That includes whatever protein powder you're taking.

Trust me, it'll be worth it for you to figure out exactly what foods trigger a response or a flare up of your symptoms so you can decide what's worth ingesting or not. And you can't do that until you let your system heal for a good amount of time, so even the occasional whatever will reaggravate things.

There is a discussion on Robb Wolf's forum about lupus and paleo if you want to check it out here:

http://*************/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1130

WFS, Replace the ********** with r o b b w o l f (no spaces).

And here's a whole series of posts on doing an elimination diet for awhile to get rid of potential inflammatory foods/allergens, if you're interested.

http://cavegirleats.com/echallenge/
WFS

Good luck!