CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Sean Rooks

Profile:
Highest reasonable heel height for weightlifting shoes

Hey all,

So I've been really drilling flexibility since around October, sitting in a squat for a few minutes a day and hitting the mWOD and trying to open up my hips and ankles to improve my oly lifting. I have pretty good hamstring flexibility, but due to some nasty injuries from racing motocross for years I have atrocious ankle flexibility. This lack of flexibility doesn't seem to hold me back terribly on my squats, but it really hinders my oly lifts. Have a look at my sig and you will see the disparity.

Long story short, I have the pendlay do wins and I'm thinking about getting a cobbler to add heel height. The other night I sat in the bottom of the receiving position with a 5lb plate under my do wins and it made a huge difference in my ability to receive the bar properly. I'm pretty sure the do wins have a 0.75" heel so maybe go up to 1.5"?

My question is just how much heel should I have added? At what point does the added heel really start to effect the first pull?

Thanks
22/6'1"/M/208lbs. log wfs BS 375lb / FS 295lb / DL 405lb / OHP 190lb / Push Press 225lb / C+J 225lbs / Snatch 175lbs / Bench 275lbs / 500m Row 1:21
Old 03-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Re: Highest reasonable heel height for weightlifting shoes

Before you make any changes to your shoes, check out Ristos(if you can afford a second pair). They make the heel height in proportion to your shoe size. That might solve some of the problem.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rooks View Post
Hey all,

So I've been really drilling flexibility since around October, sitting in a squat for a few minutes a day and hitting the mWOD and trying to open up my hips and ankles to improve my oly lifting. I have pretty good hamstring flexibility, but due to some nasty injuries from racing motocross for years I have atrocious ankle flexibility. This lack of flexibility doesn't seem to hold me back terribly on my squats, but it really hinders my oly lifts. Have a look at my sig and you will see the disparity.

Long story short, I have the pendlay do wins and I'm thinking about getting a cobbler to add heel height. The other night I sat in the bottom of the receiving position with a 5lb plate under my do wins and it made a huge difference in my ability to receive the bar properly. I'm pretty sure the do wins have a 0.75" heel so maybe go up to 1.5"?

My question is just how much heel should I have added? At what point does the added heel really start to effect the first pull?

Thanks
I wouldnt add that much. Jared just added 3/8 to his and he says they feel totally, totally different. that would bring them to 1.25, the tallest I have seen heels that work well is 1.5...
Old 03-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
I wouldnt add that much. Jared just added 3/8 to his and he says they feel totally, totally different. that would bring them to 1.25, the tallest I have seen heels that work well is 1.5...
Thanks for the reply Glenn! I'll take your advice and bring the heel up to 1.25"!
22/6'1"/M/208lbs. log wfs BS 375lb / FS 295lb / DL 405lb / OHP 190lb / Push Press 225lb / C+J 225lbs / Snatch 175lbs / Bench 275lbs / 500m Row 1:21
Old 04-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Will Peterson

Profile:

Glenn,

I am still a fairly new lifter -- I have only just reached a body weight snatch.

Playing around with a number of different shoes, I have found a heel height that works well though another brand fits/ feels better.

How was the height added to Jared's shoes? If a cobbler did it, could you give me a loose idea of how it was done? Would heel lifts accomplish the same thing (I am hesitant here as I am looking for the quality fit).

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
Well now yer talking about O-lifting in cowboy boots. There's usually beer involved.