CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Trace Gillespie

Profile:
Sled invention challenge

I need some helpful innovation for a piece of equipment this summer. I spend most of my summer on a grass airfield killing time, waiting for forest fires with nothing but fuel drums and a tire for workout gear.

Basically, I need an effective pull/sled system to attach to my harness for tire drags. It has to be easy and quick to attach and detach, it has to be wear resistant or not between the tire and the ground, and it must be compact and light to fit in a heli. The airfield changes day to day, so it has to be portable and with nothing fixed to the tire.

The main problems with yellow nylon rope wrapped around the tire are that it splits after 100m and the drag/bouncing wreaks havoc on my lower back.

Ideas are, webbing through a hole in the tire, though damage to the tires is best avoided. A rope/webbing with a carabiner attached to the top inside edge of the tire, though this might cause the lower edge to increase drag and neither of these solve the friction problem.

Thoughts?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: Sled invention challenge

Maybe just use a tow strap like this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRqcReEIzo (WFS)

Works well for me. It's crazy strong, cheap, and I just loop it through like a slip knot. You can attach a spring clip carabiner to help for quick attaching.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 03-27-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
James Napier

Profile:

I drilled a hole in the tread center, passed a rope thru, tied to a couple inches of pvc inside. Cut a piece of plywood a little larger than the opening and stretched it in. Then keep a sand bag handy to fill with dirt or rocks from that area, dump it out when done, load onto the plywood center. You could also just load the tire up with any supplies you might have with you.

edit: ok maybe this won't work for you if it can't be a permanent attachment.

Last edited by James Napier : 03-27-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: re-read your post
Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Dave Carpenter

Profile:

Military Athlete just drilled a hole in a tire and ran an eye bolt with a washer/nut. They used a caribiner and tie down straps for around the waist.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Ben Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carpenter View Post
Military Athlete just drilled a hole in a tire and ran an eye bolt with a washer/nut. They used a caribiner and tie down straps for around the waist.
This - you can also put a small scrap piece of 2x4 behind it to strengthen if needed.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

If not damaging the tire is important then I'm thinking:

a piece of flat bar stock about a foot or so long (depending on sidewall height of tire) thinking flat stock should be at least 2" wide x 1/8" thick or so.

The bar would go under the front of the tire, between the tire and the ground, and bends in a hook, up and around the bead on the inside edge of the tire

Bend the other end up to keep it from digging into the ground and drill a hole in it for a carabiner attached to the end of your pull rope.

Think of a letter "J" laying on it's side....

You could even drill a hole in the upper bend of the hook, inside the tire, and thread it for a bolt that you could tighten inside the tire to pinch down on the tire and keep the hook from slipping out...

This would all be pretty small and light and rapidly deployable...

What do you think?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Trace Gillespie

Profile:

All Awesome ideas! Thanks for the help!
Jeremy, that's just genius! It keeps the tire off the field, takes care of the friction problem as well as the quick deployment and not impacting the tire. Perfect! Combined with Matt's chain or webbing.

It'll be great, thanks again!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
This - you can also put a small scrap piece of 2x4 behind it to strengthen if needed.
Did mine like this and it's held up for years.