CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Does anyone have any personal knowledge/experience with this program?
I found it on a site dedicated to strongman training.
Its written by Pavel, and sounds like a fun distraction for awhile, in addition to the regular WOD.
Steveo
Old 04-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I did the intro and the first cycle of the program. Went in with a solid 225 to parallel, came out with a sloppy 235 to paralell. I cut back on my non-squatting workouts extensively (much lower volume than the WOD) but the overall work volume was still too high and despite good nutrition, good sleep, and so on, I started missing weights about halfway through the first cycle.

Those at Dragondoor who performed the program came in with decent squats (three wheels or more) and didn't do the WOD on the side, but they still found it brutally hard; 'fun distraction' it's not.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:
Dave Werner ran 7-8 of us through Smolov the winter before last. Two of us made it through the full cycle. So attrition was a bit of an issue. Of course, Dave screwed up the math and was working us at much higher than prescribed percentages of 1 rep max. We didn't know any better--we presumed it would be tough.

Good experience in a "doesn't have to be fun, to be fun" way. Doing it on top of the WOD would be counter-productive.

Dave has thought about this a bunch. I'm sure he'll be along with recommendations.

Brian
Old 04-24-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Brian
I'm curious to know why it would be counterproductive to do on top of the WOD. Everything I've read about crossfit hinges on the idea that you do Crossfit as a GPP, then add on. Whatever the "add on" may be. From swimming, to MMA.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
Ross Greenberg

Profile:

Steven,
I'm not Brian, but perhaps it would be counterproductive because squatting and other posterior chain-involving exercises are so integral to the WOD already, whereas double-leg takedowns, roundhouse kicks, and the breaststroke, for example, are more different from the exercises involved in the WOD. Also, I think that the extra work outside the WOD is meant to be more skill-oriented and sports-specific work, as opposed to a ball-busting hi-volume/intensity squat program (although squatting definitely does involve skill.) That said, I'm not going to say it can't be done, because too many people are doing too many incredible things around here for me to make a blanket statement that something like that would never work.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:39 AM   #6
bill fox

Profile:

Steven

The Smolov isn't "written by Pavel" he'd be the first to tell you that. More like exposed by Pavel.

I agree 100% w/ Brian and Ross, Smolov is not a good idea as an add on. It tends to eat people up. If you want to do an add on PTP is much more appropriate.

If you do a search on DD for smolov I would thing you would get lot's of info.Also look in the articles section.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/81/
Old 04-25-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Bill
Yes, I apologize, I know the Smolov wasnt written by Pavel, I didnt mean it to sound that way.
What is PTP?
Thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
bill fox

Profile:

PTP IS Pavel's "Power to the People". The first book he published here - pre KBs and all. It's a low volume, almost daily, cycled periodized strength program. In the book it's deadlift and sidepress, but it will work for any lift.

You start w/ 80% of 5RM and do 1 set of 5 and 1 more set of 5 w/ with 10lbs less. Increase weight by 5 lbs or so daily. You do this almost every day using all the high tension techniques. Designed to increase strength w/ lttle hypertrophy or recovery inroad. At a certain pre-determained point, you test, reset and do it again.

Again, lot's of articles over DD. This would be a WAY better idea if you wanted to push your 1 RM in squat and still do WODs. Start conservatively and stay that way on PTP.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
Matt Schwartz

Profile:

Steveo,
CF is GPP, and Smolov is more GPP added on. They are both high volume programs so they are not really complementary. Like Ross said, more skill work is the best thing to add on.
Matt
Old 04-29-2005, 02:40 PM   #10
Steve Shafley

Profile:
You need to be an accomplished squatter already to reap the benefits of a high volume, high intensity program like the Smolov or Sheiko routines.

You also need to be on top of your game, nutritionally and with regards to rest and motivation.

No offense, Ross, but a 225 lb squatter using the Smolov program is not a good idea, nor would it be the best way to utilize their training time.