CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Tyler Goerlitz

Profile:
Bumpers and regular plates

So I have some hi-temp bumpers from rouge and some regular plates I got off or craigs list. If I were to have a 45 bumper and a 35 plate on the bar, on both sides of course , is it ok to dump the bar?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: Bumpers and regular plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Goerlitz View Post
So I have some hi-temp bumpers from rouge and some regular plates I got off or craigs list. If I were to have a 45 bumper and a 35 plate on the bar, on both sides of course , is it ok to dump the bar?
To be honest, I don't really know..... It should be okay. What kind of bar do you have?

I don't normally dump the bar but I don't believe that it would damage anything. I've dumped 210# from shoulder height and had no issues; I own VTX bumpers. Also, do you have adequate matting in you workout area...?

Michael

Last edited by Michael A. Jones : 09-08-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: content
Old 09-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I think he's more asking about the bumpers being okay. I think youlle be fine. Especially with hi temps. You're pushing it a little but I've heard the general rule is to have less weight in steel than rubber on each side. It's worked for me so far. If you could snatch up some hi temp 25s though you'd be in a better position.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Alex Keller

Profile:

Is it "OK" - yes. Are you going to put more stress on the bumpers - definitely. Matt's general rule is a pretty solid one, especially with 45s on the bar. With lower weights (10/15/25), you want to pretty much only have 2.5 or 5 lb iron weights on the bar, and even then you shouldn't dump the 10s.

Overall, Hi-Temp 45s are a solid bumper and you should be fine, but I still wouldn't recommend making a habit out of dumping them with 35# plates on either side. Also depends what height you are dumping from, of course.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Keith Miller

Profile:

As mentioned, it will be "okay" in the short term, but in the long term you'll degrade your bumpers more quickly as they're not designed for that. How much quicker will be determined by how high you're dumping the bar (squats, snatches, clean from shoulder height), because that will make a huge difference. I would say as early as possible, get another set of bumpers, like 25's to help spread the load when you dump!!

This is why bumper are designed to be the same diameter, it spreads the heavier loads across more surface area so that one pair of bumpers do not take all the abuse. They WILL wear out faster this way!!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

The Hi-Temp bumpers are a great product and very durable. However, they will definitely degrade faster when they are used in conjunction with a standard plate. Is it okay to drop the Hi-Temp bumpers coordinated with standard plates? The answer is absolutely. Just know that you are reducing the life of your plates and your bar as well. Getting some more bumpers as soon as you can is the best option for preserving the life of your bar and your plates.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Tyler Goerlitz

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like if I keep the weight low on steel I should be fine. I have the rouge bar btw, and have more bumpers. Honestly I was just curious, I'm trying to keep my equipment in good condition.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:

A quote from a distributor. I was surprised that even 10 lb metal plates should not be mixed with bumpers.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123515451 (wfs)

Quote:
We sell York, Ivanko, Wright, Cap, Troy, etc in bumper plates at a rate of about 100,000 lbs a year. It has been my experience that though you can use one set of bumpers and one set of steel 45's, the bumpers where not made to do that. To start, never use smaller plates with bumpers except 5, 2.5, & 1.25 lb plates. As for using 10, 25, & 35 lb plates, let's just say don't. You might not have problems the first few times, but very shortly down the road you will and think the bumpers were defective. Even with a 45 that is the same size, you do not want to use.
The reason being is a couple of reasons. To start, each bumper was engineered to take the force of the weight it is. A pair of 45's was made to take the weight of a pair of 45's and the bar. A pair of 25's the same. That is why you never see anyone drop a pair of 10's and if they do, they complain immediately that the plate is warping when in reality, 10's were never meant to drop unless with other bumpers. Second, if you are dropping steel weights with the bumpers, the collar in the bumpers will start to misshape, possibly break, as well as possibly come out. The bumpers will also start to crack because again they are engineered to take the weight they are labeled for.
This is just speaking from experience of training, selling, and the manufacturers specs. Feel free to commit if you have questions. If you need a hook up on bumpers, PM. We have Troy's for $1.08 per lb.
Bottom line, whether from us or anyone else, spend the money and get another set if you need to lift more before the set you currently have gets trashed. Just curious, what are you using them for (Dead-lift, Power Clean, Snatch, Clean/Press, Just to protect your floors)?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Matt Thomas

Profile:

It doesn't seem like that can be true...I dunno.

So they're not meant to take the weight of the bar? How about the extra force of being dropped? Dropped from where? Shoulder or overhead? If they're tested from 5 feet what if I'm 6'2" and dropping from overhead? Are they going to break? Not saying he's wrong or that using metal is a good idea. I just find it weird to say "these are specifically engineered to only absorb 45lbs worth of force. So many variables how could that be true?

If it is I'm willing to listen to the explanation because I'm curious.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
If it is I'm willing to listen to the explanation because I'm curious.
It's just a matter of physics and manufacturing trade-offs. The ability of the bumper to absorb the added force of iron weight is going to be a function of the size of the bumper and the quality of the materials/construction. That's why 45 lb Hi-Temps are about twice as wide as 45 lb high end competition plates.

I would guess that bumpers are manufactured to handle typical circumstances -- plates plus bar weight plus change plates/collars dropped from a reasonable height on to a reasonable platform. If you suddenly want to add 2x the weight in iron, you are going to need to either increase the size of the bumper or increase the quality. There probably isn't much demand out there for plates that are the price of competition plates and the size of Hi-Temps just so you can add iron.