CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Tom Reyes

Profile:
CFE rowing for marathon prep?

I don't know if this is in the right category, but anyways....I'm toying with doing a marathon in the next 4-8 months. I am a "strong intermediate" crossfitter according to the various charts out there. I usually finish the WOD's in the top 5 male RX at my home affiliate. I was wondering if I use the CFE with the C2 rower, would that give me a good basis for marathon prep, as long as I throw in a long run every 10-14 days or so? I currently do 10k without issues in about 52 minutes?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Mark Bullard

Profile:
Re: CFE rowing for marathon prep?

I know this may be an obvious question, but if you are going to take the time to do the additional CFE workouts, why not do the running?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Tom Reyes

Profile:

I'm in West Palm Beach, 90 degrees with 90% humidity for the next 3 months or so. I wouldn't do exclusive C2 training, but was thinking crossfit WOD 4-6 times a week, CFE rowing 2x a week, and a long run. I have heard of people that do marathons with only the WOD's as their prep, but I doubt that would do it for me.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I'm in Orlando trying to train for the Disney marathon using CFE. I feel your pain. Let me know how the rowing works out for you. I'm gonna try to stick with the running for now. You have a journal or anything?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
Michael Ingley

Profile:

just follow the wods on main site and CFE and I'm sure you'll be more than prepared.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
S.S.

Profile:

I don't think it's a good idea. The purpose of the CFE workout is specificity, not additional workouts. You might as well just add 2 more CF WODs per week since rowing won't help your running any more than a Fran or Cindy will.

Most of the CFE workouts can be done inside on a treadmill.

Also, it takes about 3 weeks to adapt to heat and humidity. If it's going to be a factor during your race, you might as well train for it.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Thanks for the input. I'm glad you chimed in Shane. Wasn't sure if it was sport specificity or endurance only that the CFE was mostly about. Makes sense, though. As with everybody else, it'll just be a factor of me finding the time 3+ hours before or after my other WOD's. It'll be rough for me as I do 3 different 12 hour shifts. That's another reason why why I thought the C2 would be a little easier. Enough whining though, just do it, right? Matt, I'll keep you in the loop as far as what I'm doing. I guess I'll be doing CFE-running.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Erin Faith McMahon

Profile:

im also training for marathon in November, and still doing my wods, BUT best advice i have found is get the miles of running in!! The CF will help with endurance and the mental hump of marathons; but your hips and kness need to start getting used to running for that amount time, just my two cents
Old 08-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reyes View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm glad you chimed in Shane. Wasn't sure if it was sport specificity or endurance only that the CFE was mostly about. Makes sense, though. As with everybody else, it'll just be a factor of me finding the time 3+ hours before or after my other WOD's. It'll be rough for me as I do 3 different 12 hour shifts. That's another reason why why I thought the C2 would be a little easier. Enough whining though, just do it, right? Matt, I'll keep you in the loop as far as what I'm doing. I guess I'll be doing CFE-running.
At the CFE cert they said you don't really need to separate the workouts by 3-5 hours, although it's optimal. They said if you go to the gym, do your WOD, drive home, eat, and can handle a CFE run, then by all means do it. If you have trouble doing your running after your WOD, do it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Faith McMahon View Post
im also training for marathon in November, and still doing my wods, BUT best advice i have found is get the miles of running in!! The CF will help with endurance and the mental hump of marathons; but your hips and kness need to start getting used to running for that amount time, just my two cents
The hips, knees, and ankles take more stress when you're under a back squat, pulling a deadlift, or racking a clean than at any single point in running. Having knee or hip issues during running is probably a result of poor technique or inflexible muscles.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Could it be argued that it's a different kind of stress though? I mean surely 3 + hours of continual pounding is a different stress than a lift that lasts several seconds.