CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Michael McElroy

Profile:
Diane

I'm 5'6" 155lbs. I usually do all the WOD as rx'd but i was wondering if i should drop the weight a little on the DL's here. It takes away a little from the metcon part of the workout. Or should i just do it with this and my time will just be a little slower. I did the 50 pullups 185 DL workout the other day in 21 min. to give you an idea of my condition and i have a 3:10 Fran. Any thoughts on pros and cons of both sides would be great
Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Diane

You're saying doing the DL is kinda like a "rest" for you? If that's the case, maybe add weight.

3:10 fran, dang if only I could do that right now...
Old 09-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Michael McElroy

Profile:

no DL is hard for me. My DL is my worst thing. I'm saying it's supposed to be a metcon workout but with that weight i'd have to slow down a whole lot to get through all the reps. I can knock out the HSPU in straight sets but i'd probably have to break the DL's into 5's maybe 3's. I'm wondering if I should lower the weight to something i can atleast get maybe sets of 7 with? I may just try it with 225 and see how it goes
Old 09-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Go with 225. If you can do a 3:10 Fran you should just do it as rx'd. If the DL is hard for you then you need to be doing it, not trying to find a way around it.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #5
Bill Patton

Profile:

we've got about 31 Diane's logged in LogsItAll - about enough to show some trends - i've posted in the stats results below.

My next step with this thing is to add names (and hopefully CF gym?)to the standings along with Rx'd and "load" info to help make more sense of these numbers.

-bill

Diane Standings From www.LogsItAll.com 9/18/2007

http://www.LogsItAll.com/media/diane9_18_2007.gif
Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
Joe Hill

Profile:

Just a quick question. Everyone is recommending that you stick with the 225lbs and just do as many as you can at a time untill you hit the required reps? Even if it takes away from your time significantly? I just would like this clarified because I droped the weight on my DL's to a point where I could just barely get all 21 done without stopping. Am I to assume this was wrong? I shoudl have stuck with the 225lbs and paused when needed? Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
James Reynolds

Profile:

I find that when i can do the exercise as RX'd, even if it takes a little longer, it's better. Mainly b/c when I do that same exercise again it's easier to tell when I've made improvements.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hill View Post
Just a quick question. Everyone is recommending that you stick with the 225lbs and just do as many as you can at a time untill you hit the required reps? Even if it takes away from your time significantly? I just would like this clarified because I droped the weight on my DL's to a point where I could just barely get all 21 done without stopping. Am I to assume this was wrong? I shoudl have stuck with the 225lbs and paused when needed? Thanks
This is a frequently debated topic. Are you concerned with time or functional fitness? If you can do the workout as rx'd, then you should. Too many people (in my opinion) scale when they don't need to. So what if it takes you 20 or 30 or 40 minutes? Slug it out and get faster next time.

Life throws all kinds of crap at us, and not all of it occurs in a 4-7 minute window. Train for everything.

P.S. If you do every rep as rx'd, I promise you won't feel cheated out of a metcon workout.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hill View Post
Michael's problem clearly isn't his MetCon. He needs to work on his Deadlift so he should keep the weight at 225. Someone who needs work on strength and MetCon might want to consider scaling.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
This is a frequently debated topic. Are you concerned with time or functional fitness? If you can do the workout as rx'd, then you should. Too many people (in my opinion) scale when they don't need to. So what if it takes you 20 or 30 or 40 minutes? Slug it out and get faster next time.

Life throws all kinds of crap at us, and not all of it occurs in a 4-7 minute window. Train for everything.

P.S. If you do every rep as rx'd, I promise you won't feel cheated out of a metcon workout.

Agreed-
At our affiliate, if you (the plural "you" - meaning everyone) go under the Rx'd amounts (weight or reps), or if you use jumping PU instead of kipping, etc., you get an "*" next to your time.
It isn't anything personal, it just means you didn't do the WOD as Rx'd. The "*" disappears when you do it as Rx'd.
If you can't do them as Rx'd, then it is something to strive for.